+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This would never occur to me to be an issue! First because I don't get why a name needs to be carried on - it seems a very old-fashioned, class thing ("Why yes, I am from the prestigious Money-Sterling family, we own much land!").
    And second, because if people do want to carry on a name, then there's no reason that women should have to change their names to their husband's, or that children should automatically be given their father's surname.
    I don't think such deeply patriarchal traditions should really have a place in our supposedly equal society... (Of course if one wants to change their name or give the children their dad's name then that's all cool - but it shouldn't be the rule, you know?)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (13-06-2014),FrothyFrog  (14-06-2014),HarvestMoon  (14-06-2014),MsViking  (13-06-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (14-06-2014),sky1  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really get it either.

I also don't think having a son guarantees that the name will be passed down these days as some men don't end up having children.
    Some do have kids, but the kids are given the mother's surname, and I've actually heard of a few men changing their name to their wife's (or both choosing something completely different).

I kept my surname and DH and I gave our 3 kids my surname.

My brother doesn't want to have children, so out of 1 boy & 1 girl I've been the one to carry on the name in our case (not that I've ever given it any thought until now!).
    I also won't be surprised (or disappointed) if my kids change their names when they marry and the name isn't carried on any further.
    Last edited by sky1; 13-06-2014 at 22:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never given it much thought. Perhaps because I don't like having my dad's name or maybe because it's very common.

Funny enough though DH was talking about this topic just today. He was telling me about ribbing his brother and 1st cousin that the pressure was off them to pass on the name now we've had a boy. He'd gone through all his cousins, 2nd cousins etc in his head already and worked out that it was up to the 3 of them to carry on the name. So it must be important to him on some level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't really get the carrying on the family name thing, it's just a name?
    Me too. I don't get it, it's just a name. I've been married, divorced and married again, so I've had 3 names. Not once have I even thought about surnames being important. <shrug>

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I think it is sad that people care about carrying on a name instead of a healthy happy baby.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-06-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (14-06-2014),sky1  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has crossed my mind before but doesn't really bother me. My maiden name is finished; my kids have ex's name, and all the males in my family are defective LOL.. my brothers will never meet anyone let alone reproduce, my aunties have families but with married names, my uncles are incredibly defective and thus eternally single as well.
    I guess it's crossed my mind as like an honouring my dad thing, as he passed away when I was young. But it's just a name really, and I don't have a way of passing on the name anyway now, so..... *shrug*

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family had one boy in my generation, so luckily he had one son or my family name would have ended there.

I have one DS which keeps hubby's name, he was the only boy in his generation so I'm thankful we had a son!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister took her hubby's name and my DS has DP's surname, but we have loads of cousins and a fairly common name so it doesn't really bother me.
    Perhaps if I had a more unique surname or were particularly connected to my cultural heritage I might feel differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I think it is sad that people care about carrying on a name instead of a healthy happy baby.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is a ridiculous statement and i find your comment insulting. No one in their right mind would care more about carrying on the family name than having a healthy baby and whilst carrying on my families name was very important to me it certainly wasn't more important than having a healthy child.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angels4me For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (14-06-2014),CompareTheMeerkat  (28-12-2014),Mopoke  (13-06-2014),MrsH88  (04-01-2015),VicPark  (14-06-2014)

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dad has 2 daughters so our family name isn't being carried on. My bump will have their dad's name.
    Having said that, my dad's last name wasn't the one he started with. Hated his own dad so changed his name to his uncles.
    Names are curious things.