+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was so happy when my brothers wife had a son, & they gave him our family name, so it lasts for another generation!! (My kids have my partners surname).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    I was so happy when my brothers wife had a son, & they gave him our family name, so it lasts for another generation!! (My kids have my partners surname).
    But you'd be just as happy if he had a daughter instead?

My brother is the only male left from my dads whole family who could carry on his family name ( his brothers and their kids all had girls or boys that had girls) but it does not worry him or dad at all

I don't really get the carrying on the family name thing, it's just a name?
    I think its sad when you hear of people/ cultures that get upset if a daughter was born and the family name may be in jeopardy

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-06-2014),MsViking  (13-06-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (13-06-2014),sky1  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, I'm the last of the line. The kids all have DF's surname, which I'll be taking when we get married. My brother had no intentions if having children, so it ends with me.

I never thought of it being a big deal until recently, but now I find it a bit distressing - I have a few unresolved issues surrounding my fathers death.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mums name was not carried on (1 sister and 1 brother who never married) but it was an extremely common surname so she was not bothered. The only way my last name will be carried on is with my cousins because I only have sisters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my friends is one of two girls in the family. When she got married her fiancé/husband took HER last name so her maiden name would continue. The husband had a brother with boys (so his last name would be carried on) but my friend had no male relatives with her maiden name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My dad has 2 daughters and we have both gotten married and taken our husbands last names, so his family name will not be carried on. I don't really see why it's so sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never really given this much thought and don't really see what the big deal is to be honest. I have 2 sisters who are both married and have taken their husband's surname - our family name won't be carried on by any of us. I will admit to being a bit sad for a while after I got married and changed my name - it was weird getting used to being someone with a new name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess an interesting way to look at it is that the daughter if an only child, will then take on her husband's last name (if she chooses) and they will then start their own line of generations. .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have 3 sons, my first son has my surname, and the second 2 have their dads. (All full brothers)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Neither my brother or sister will have children, I have been lucky enough to have a beautiful little boy, I am proud to still be carrying my family name and wouldn't ever change it if I got married so my son has my surname hyphenated with my DP's.