+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Last in line..

I was speaking to a friend today who has a little girl. She and hubby do not want any more children. Her hubby has a brother but he is alot older and has no intention of having children..
    There will be no boy to carry on the family name.
    When I asked her how she felt, she said it wasn't something that bothered her which is totally fine but for me, for some reason, I found it upsetting for them??

I have a brother who has a boy so my original family name will carry on.. I have three boys so my hubby's family name will also carry on..

I guess I don't really know what I am asking.. except maybe are you in the situation where the family name stops with you? How do u feel about it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm one of three girls, all of us have taken our married names so my maiden name ends with us. My dd and any future children will have my maiden name as a second middle name. If it sounded at all like a name we would have used it as a name, first or middle. Dd first name is actually mil maiden name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 1 soon to be 2 DS's so not relevant to my DH but I am the youngest of 3 girls so my dads name was not passed on.

Tbh I don't know if I would have minded for my DH's name to not be carried on but I do feel a little sad for my dad that his wasn't.

That's life tho and he really isn't fazed.

However we are thinking of giving DS2 my dads surname as a first name as it's considered an appropriate first name (mum and dad hyphenated there names when they married but we would only give dads surname to ds2).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! My husband has a sister and step brother, so his surname stops with us. We currently have a little girl....

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a sister who may not even have children so we probably won't be carrying on the name, but I have a cousin who has children with my maiden name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is just me and my sister. My sister isn't changing her name, ever, but she's also not having kids so it will end with her. I changed my name to my husband's (was happy to do so at the time but regret doing it, something I didn't think I would have any issues with until after I had done it). Our kids have my husband's last name. My maiden name is one that is also a common boys name these days. I didn't want it as a first name for my son, but did suggest it as a middle name after he was born. Our daughters don't have a middle name so hubby wanted them all to be the same, and I was fine with it. I am okay with that. I think it would have been nice for my dad to have given my son his family name, but it doesn't bother me (or my dad actually! That's just my little hangup!)
    I don't mind my family name not being carried on to further generations... but I don't like my married name and wish I could rewind the clock and tell hubby I was keeping my maiden name. I just don't identify myself as Mrs X, even after 7 years.

I have one male cousin who by rights could carry on the name...but he's 36, single and not that interested in kids. His sister has a child, a boy, who has his father's surname. Our family name is dying out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not with me, but my brothers have had only girls so I would say it stops with them. My male cousins on Dads side will not have children. We have only girls so hubby's name is dependent on his brothers offspring if there is any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think the whole tradition of passing down the fathers last name is dying off anyway. More and more mothers are keeping and passing down their maiden names these days.

Personally, my kids have my last name so their fathers name will never be passed down. My last name is my dads original middle name. I don't care if it's ever passed down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (13-06-2014),NoteToSelf  (28-12-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (29-12-2014),sky1  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Family name ends with me as I am an only child after I marry DP. My DS already has DP's surname but I'm ok with that. I haven't had contact with my father in years so I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think the whole tradition of passing down the fathers last name is dying off anyway. More and more mothers are keeping and passing down their maiden names these days.

Personally, my kids have my last name so their fathers name will never be passed down. My last name is my dads original middle name. I don't care if it's ever passed down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I feel the same.

It's not something that bothers myself and DP at all. So many surnames are changed down lines anyway and women are choosing to keep their maiden names more often. I still have mine and DS has mine also.