+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes! I need more stimulation, plus I love my job and didn't want to lose touch. I returned to work even though we could manage without me going back.

I mostly worked 2 days a week since having kids but this year it's 3. I wouldn't want to work more than 3 days a week while my kids aren't in school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds perfectly sane to me! It is important for your mental health and self esteem.

I couldn't be a full time SAHM..... Not quite sure how I am going to go with the 12mths mat leave I have just commenced for DS (I only took 5mths off for DD). I will be going back 0.8 this time though.... Haven't ever worked part time before lol. I agree with your realistic concern of being left behind in the workforce, depending on your industry, a lot can change in a few months to a year. Having a foot in the door will make things easier if/when you do jump back into work.

So long as the hours are good and you have happy kids (mine thrives on getting to spend time with relatives, friends and the odd daycare session). DH and I also get plenty of decent time at home although not always at the same time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would I go back if I didn't have to? No way!! But then I loved being a SAHM. I now work part time because I have to (well financially I should be working fulltime, but I place my mummy-role at a higher importance than work/money).

In saying that though, I always dream that if I won the lotto, I would volunteer 2-3 days per week, to give me something to do in school hours. If I had a job that didn't almost physically kill me every day, then perhaps I would work there 2 days a week. I think it's important to have some adult interaction, and a purpose other than mum stuff.

Could you return to work part time OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No! I would revisit it once DD went to school and do prehaps some contract/wfh which I can luckily do in my job

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope I wouldnt.
    When I went back to work after a year with DS1, I was so unhappy, he was sick all the time as well so I was stressed. In the end it wasnt worth it, the money I earned was only enough to pay daycare fees, It no longer benifitted me, so I quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have to go back to work and like yours, my dh would have preferred me to stay home. Being a sahm isn't for everyone and going back to work on your own terms takes the stress out of it. I always knew if it wasn't working out with dd in daycare or if it became too much I could walk away from work and financially we would be fine. For us, it's been great. My dd has come out of her shell due to daycare and I enjoy my days at home so much more now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    For me - I never plan on going back to work. I want to give my other children what I gave my eldest.

For you - you should do what you feel is right for family.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely! Financially I don't need to work (although would have to sell current house) but I could never not work. I found mat leave so boring and returned after 9 months three days, and then four after six months. If I have another I will only take 6 months if DH can take 3 so baby would still be 9 months when starting daycare.

I need the mental stimulation that comes from my work.

I am sure it depends on your job though and whether you enjoy it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be happy to stay home forever. Our kids will have big gaps between them (5 years) so in theory I could be home for a while depending on the money. If we won lotto tomorrow I'd spend the rest of my life raising my kid/s, training my dogs and studying at uni

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, but it's possible to have it both ways by working part time, if you also want time at home with your kids.