+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you go back to work if you didn't have to?

I've been on maternity leave for over 12 months now, I have 2 years approved maternity leave but a part of me feels like I'm ready to go back to work.

My husband wants me to stay at home for the foreseeable future but I just can't help but feel that's not me. I've never seen myself as a stay at home, I've always seen myself as a career orientated working mum. Financially I don't need to return to work and the extra money would just go straight to savings.

My biggest fear is being out of the workforce so long that I will struggle to get back in, despite being well educated with loads of experience.

I swear people think I'm crazy that I want to go back to work, like it's every mothers dream to stay at home forever, but I just can't help but feel there is more to me as a person than being a mum.

Am I totally crazy for wanting to go back to work despite having no financial pressure?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not at all. I say if you want to and can, go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gosh I was bored after 4 months at home! No you're not crazy for wanting to go back to work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Not crazy at all. The stay at home thing really isn't for everyone. I'd personally go completely stir crazy being stuck at home for an extended period of time.
    If working makes you happy, then go for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope! I woke up one day and just knew I was ready to go back part time. I'm glad I did, and daycare has been great for DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I'd do whatever I wanted to do ( what I needed). If I needed to return due to finances I would and if I wanted to and financially didn't essentially need to then I would

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope!

I went back to work part-time almost a year ago and have felt much happier since. Like you, I don't need to work for financial reasons but wanted to keep a foot in the door career-wise after years of study and working to get to the role I had prior to DS being born. I'm one of those crazy people that loves their job! I stayed at home with DS for 2.5 years and honestly missed working. I think in some ways I wish I'd gone back sooner.

I'm fortunate now that I can work part-time as it means I get the best of both worlds. I feel like I'm a better mother to DS as I appreciate him more on the days I do get to spend with him as opposed to seeing him all day every day (and going a bit crazy...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back to work part time when DD was about 8mo. It was partly for the money but also for myself. Being at home full time wasn't good for my mental wellbeing.

I have just started mat leave again (bub due next month) so it'll be interesting to see how I go this time. I am now also studying so maybe that will help as I'll have something I'm doing for myself/working towards.

I think that if you're the kind of person who enjoys working then go for it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    In an ideal world ill stay working part time 20/25 hrs a week forever. If I get a break between last kid at home and first grandkid arriving ill work full time.

Even if I won lotto tomorrow id still wofk part time as its adult interaction and gives me a purpose/focus

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll say I wouldn't go back....but this is before I've had my first baby

I need to work to help support our family.

Plan is to go back 3 days at first, then up it to four - hopefully I'll be able to stay part time at the very least.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleduck For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (13-06-2014)