+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Talking Slow Cooker vs. Pressure Cooker

I have a slow cooker at the moment that I love! I do big cook ups once a fortnight.

Am looking to get a second slow cooker or a pressure cooker but not sure which as I have never used a pressure cooker but hear they are much faster?

Which is your fav and why?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't be much help as I only just got my 5 in 1. I've always just had a big slow cooker and would use it to do big cook-ups of bolognese, soups and casseroles. I haven't tried the slow cook function on mine as I've just been playing with the pressure cook function. So far I'm very happy. Yet to do a tried and tested meat casserole but pumpkin soup, veg&barley soup and bolognese have all come out perfect in 30 minutes. Mine has a metal bowl with a brown function too so just one pot needed.

The best thing in it though is risotto!! 7-8 minutes after it gets to pressure (about 20 min total incl browning etc) and it is creamier than I've ever made in my Emporia Rice cooker or on the stove.

If you're deciding between the 2, a multi-cooker solves that problem as it does both. Otherwise I'd still recommend an electric pressure cooker as I've read a lot of stove-top recipes (and remember when mum used to use one) and they just seem like a lot ic stuffing around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't give a comparison as I have never used a pressure cooker (so am interested in hearing others thoughts also) but I do love my slow cooker! So easy to use, convenient if I have to be out for a few hours and need dinner done for when we get home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a slow 2 fast cooker I won't go near it especially after my husband didn't release the pressure properly and it exploded on him and my daughter thankfully no one was hurt however he figured out what he did wrong and it hasn't happened again. Food wise slow seems to taste nicer but pressure is good for when you're in a pinch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I won't be much help as I only just got my 5 in 1. I've always just had a big slow cooker and would use it to do big cook-ups of bolognese, soups and casseroles. I haven't tried the slow cook function on mine as I've just been playing with the pressure cook function. So far I'm very happy. Yet to do a tried and tested meat casserole but pumpkin soup, veg&barley soup and bolognese have all come out perfect in 30 minutes. Mine has a metal bowl with a brown function too so just one pot needed.

The best thing in it though is risotto!! 7-8 minutes after it gets to pressure (about 20 min total incl browning etc) and it is creamier than I've ever made in my Emporia Rice cooker or on the stove.

If you're deciding between the 2, a multi-cooker solves that problem as it does both. Otherwise I'd still recommend an electric pressure cooker as I've read a lot of stove-top recipes (and remember when mum used to use one) and they just seem like a lot ic stuffing around.

What kind of multi cooker do you have? Was it expensive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slow cooker..
    I wouldn't trust a pressure cooker. No way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a breville fast slow cooker which is both and it's awesome. Personally I use the pressure cooker more often as I am not that organised to plan ahead. It's fantastic for bolognaise, chilli, stews and curries. I still love the aroma and coming home to a slow cooked casserole though, and the veg in casseroles turn out with better texture slow cooking.
    Once you get used to pressure cooking it's hard to go back to slow cooking.

I use mine to cook big batches and freeze ahead.

There are plenty of different types of multi cookers that have both pressure and slow cook options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEm View Post
    What kind of multi cooker do you have? Was it expensive?
    I got the New Wave one, about $130 from everten with a bonus SS cooking bowl.

It also has a safety release that won't open until you fully release the pressure. I still remember my nan's old-school one exploding all over the ceiling so hoping to avoid that!!