+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hrm I've never thought about it to be honest! We talk about stranger danger a lot but I don't know how DD would actually go if faced with a "stranger danger" situation.
    So yep... my answer is I don't know haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yisTU...e_gdata_player
    This shows a few kids miserably failing the stranger danger test. I reckon 10 at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When he is a black belt in karate!

OP, only you know your DD and I'm sure you have better judgment than any of the rest of us given you are her parent and you have an understanding of the context of the situation. Context is a huge part of it and it's difficult to get that across on a forum (as we know from the service station threads and similar!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my 3.5 year old DS sits in the wiggles car outside the fish monger when I go in and get my seafood - but i can see him at all times as it has a glass door! leaving him in a shopping centre where i cant see him at all times id say maybe 10?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't. Kids are unpredictable and even though yours might be well behaved you never know what other people's kids will do. After witnessing kids pushing/hitting etc other kids at the playground and their parents doing nothing, I'd be worried about leaving my child to deal with that alone. Or what if the other kids parents have also left them there unsupervised and they are not playing nice? Who will break up the fights? Also as others have said, stranger danger. Your kid might know the rules but it's a lot harder than you'd think to say no to someone. Even adults have a hard time saying no to manipulative people so it's a big ask for a little kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It's not something I would do. I have seen too many little and not so little terrors come in and start pushing spitting and random picking on other kids.

I suppose our experience has left me very jaded and uneasy. At christmas last year my ds (14) was targeted. I mean who would suspected that two grown men (one covered in blood) would come and threaten to bash us and stole our money at 8 in the morning on a busy main road. The people living in the house all knew us but not one opened their door or called the police.

So yeah I wouldn't because I don't trust other people to stand up and help someone in trouble.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my gosh Anewme, that is awful!

I don't think I'd be comfortable until my child was around 10, maybe 12? I was reading the thread about adequate supervision of children in public places and was a little shocked how many people were saying the chance of anything happening (ie. stranger danger) is so remote. I've heard so many reports of children and young teens being approached that I'm not prepared to take what I perceive as any risks concerning my child's safety.

I have often seen parents leaving their little ones, under 5, alone while they duck into shops at our local mall, there is no way they would be able to see their child. It really gets to me, as the play area is right near doors that open leading to the bus interchange, which doesn't boast the most favourable elements of society. I was there about a month ago with DP and DS and refused to leave until a woman returned from JB as she had left her little boy of around 3 by himself!