+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Encouraging crawling

Any tips to encourage babies to crawl? My child is 10.5 months and has never been a tummy time fan. He is sits well, pulls himself up, cruising along furniture and taking wobbly steps when he has something to hold onto. Our GP isn't worried about him.

A well meaning person put the wind up me a little by implying he won't develop spacial awareness and left-right brain connections. Her children have learning difficulties and I appreciate she is coming from a place of well meaning concern. I've met plenty of other people who had children that never crawled and who had no academic or coordination issues later so I also understand that complications are not inevitable for non-crawlers. My GP said that non crawlers get left-right coordination from other activities, like climbing, so not to panic yet.

But if there are things I can do to gently encourage him, I'm happy to do that.

He spends plenty of time on his mat with tempting things out of reach. He will bum shimmy or roll about to get to places, sometimes tummy shimmy (not really a commando crawl). I've tried propping his chest up and tucking knees underneath - usually ends in grizzling. He's an only child, but I try and take him to play group 3 times a week so he can watch other babies crawling. I've tried encouraging more tummy time, but he often flips over once he's had enough. I try not to press it when he starts getting grizzly as I don't want him to associate tummy time as a bad thing. I can stretch it out with a mirror, but it's definitely not his position of choice.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for good resources that can encourage a reluctant crawler? Or even ideas for alternative activities that develop upper body strength and left-right pathways? I could ask for a referral to a physio, but that might be overkill at this stage.

Or even stories about non crawlers who are perfectly healthy are welcome too!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi clbj, I had my youngest child walk at nine months. he went straight from sitting to standing to walking. however he was fascinated by things with wheels, cars trucks trains, just anything that rolled. I bought a floor mat that had a street pattern and he happily spent hours crawling around with the cars and such on the mat. so he was walking to get anywhere, but playing involved crawling for him. I don't think it matters when they crawl, but so long as they do get that left right movement in somewhere before school age, things will be fine. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Marie. That's great. I know the rugs you mean. A nice big sand put and some diggers would probably help too. I'll put those on the birthday list - healthy and fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP,
    by the sound of it your LO is doing fine....so dont worry to much.
    My DD did the same and crawled at 13 months and within 4 weeks had started to walk ...so a very short crawaling stage..( my mum said I didnt crawl till 16months!).

I would put her favourite toys abit far from her ..get to her level and encourge her to come to me...she bum shuffled alot but eventually crawled...also trying using something he enjoys..I found with DD she loved sitting on the grass and would shuffle around on it all day!
    I'm not sure if all of this actually did help her crawl or she eventually did it in her own time but hope it helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OS&N For This Useful Post:

clbj  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi clbj

My little one didn't crawl until just after her first birthday and was up and walking within a month after that.

We had her at physio to help her, te main things were as a PP mentioned, moving toys out of reach so they have to move for them and laying on the floor with bubs and getting them to crawl over your legs with some encouraging

I too remember all the negative comments I got when my DD wasn't crawling but she caught up dramatically so I wouldn't worry too much!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Razzy Bear For This Useful Post:

clbj  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy did a commando-slide thing on his belly to get around until past his 1st birthday. Then he bum-shuffled a bit and got the idea of crawling at about 14 months, can't remember exactly, and only started walking independently at 19 months.

My sister says her daughter went straight from a bum-shuffle to walking. Didn't crawl much at all.

If your GP isn't worried then I wouldn't worry about it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

clbj  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD learnt to crawl @ 14months on the soft padded mats at kindergym. She walked at 12 months but had never crawled. I wasnt worried about it but I noticed as soon as she got on soft flooring she was happy to crawl

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

clbj  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post
    Hi OP,
    by the sound of it your LO is doing fine....so dont worry to much.
    My DD did the same and crawled at 13 months and within 4 weeks had started to walk ...so a very short crawaling stage..( my mum said I didnt crawl till 16months!).

I would put her favourite toys abit far from her ..get to her level and encourge her to come to me...she bum shuffled alot but eventually crawled...also trying using something he enjoys..I found with DD she loved sitting on the grass and would shuffle around on it all day!
    I'm not sure if all of this actually did help her crawl or she eventually did it in her own time but hope it helps!
    Thanks! I read your post on the way out today and he had fun shimmying about on the grass at lunch
    And thanks for the reassurance. 99% of me knows he's normal and fine, but unfortunately the 1% got prodded by a well meaning person and it made me second guess that I shouldn't be trying harder to help him out. As you say, I'm sure he'll get there regardless - when he's ready
    Last edited by clbj; 12-06-2014 at 23:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzy Bear View Post
    Hi clbj

My little one didn't crawl until just after her first birthday and was up and walking within a month after that.

We had her at physio to help her, te main things were as a PP mentioned, moving toys out of reach so they have to move for them and laying on the floor with bubs and getting them to crawl over your legs with some encouraging

I too remember all the negative comments I got when my DD wasn't crawling but she caught up dramatically so I wouldn't worry too much!
    Thanks! I'd seen a picture of helping get them in crawling position over your legs ages ago, and your post prodded my memory. I tried that this evening and he had a great time scrambling over me. He was pulling himself up to standing, but really using his arms and legs better than he has been. Lots of giggles and much more fun than tummy time on the mat so thank-you for posting.

Thanks also for the kind reassuring comments too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Our boy did a commando-slide thing on his belly to get around until past his 1st birthday. Then he bum-shuffled a bit and got the idea of crawling at about 14 months, can't remember exactly, and only started walking independently at 19 months.

My sister says her daughter went straight from a bum-shuffle to walking. Didn't crawl much at all.

If your GP isn't worried then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks! If he's going to persist with the belly sliding/bum shuffling for a few months, maybe I should invest in an enjo cloth onsie and let him do some cleaning whilst working on his movement skills