+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working and a sick child....

How do you handle it? A little back story. I went back to work part time 7 months ago an lost that job because my DS was always sick and I had 7 days sick in 3 months I only worked 3 days a week! It was a small business an they paid me my 2 weeks notice so according to fair trade it was ok! I also changed daycares because I wasn't happy with the premises, food or care he was getting, his new daycare is great he's super happy and healthy then I found a new full time job an was super happy there I explained in interview I had a DS and other than daycare we have no other care for him so if he's sick we would manage between me and my DH. So 2 weeks ago my DS got hand foot an mouth so I had to take 2.5 days off 1 I took as annual leave the others carers leave during 1 of the days I worked from home to try cover my workload. Now just a week later my DS is sick again and I have been with him since yesterday. I took work home an am always responding to emails even when we were in the hospital this morning then when I ring my boss he says when I return we will have to have a chat an come to an agreement as to what to do which will work for both parties!!!! So now I'm pretty sure I've lost another job! I should mention it's a small start up business so we aren't even busy right now an I offered to transfer the phones to my mobile to answer calls an my boss hardly gives me any time to go through anything with him! It's so unfair and I'm so stressed! Sorry this has turned into a vent but I do need advise please! What do I do I already took a stupid pay cut just to get a job, how do working mums who have no support do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH and I both work full time and we are from France, so no family to help.

When DS is sick we go 50/50. he takes the first day I take the second day etc. We both are able to work from home a little. It's hard with a sick toddler but at least we are within reach. I would try and work after hours from home too to catch up on work.

Good luck, it's not easy. My employer is really good. Because I am flexible with my hours they are also flexible with me.
    At the end of the day as long as the work is done they don't care if I do it from the moon at 3am

Thanks
    Reviews
    We both work full time, I do shift rotations 4 on 4 off, and he works standard 9-5.

We have a child with a serious health issue so quite often get calls to pick her up from school etc. It's ok if it falls on a night shift or a day off, but I struggle if it's on my days on. DH while entitled to 10 days sick leave can not take them, it's extremely frowned upon. He is the only person there to do his job, so if he doesn't show, the work doesn't get done. Yes he could do it from home, but that offer is rejected by the employer.

So I've had no sick leave in balance since I started my job here 3 years ago. I haven't been fired yet, but it always worries me when I call in sick. If we didn't need the money I'd throw in the towel. But I just take 1 day at a time, and keep trying.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I take time off when the kids are sick. I have accumulated a lot of sick leave but my husband doesn't get paid sick leave as he's a sole trader. My boss is very good as he's got young kids as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    sorry OT but @mandlsmum wow your DHs employer sounds terrible

for argument sake what would happen if he does take the leave? it's not like they would sack him if he's the only one who can get the job done?

and what happens when he is sick or on annual leave?

some employers need to be reminded that their employees are just that - not slave!
    pretty risky strategy too to have that much knowledge in one individual ...
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 11-06-2014 at 19:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep we also have no family or support so we have to share sick days. Last winter was his first in daycare and it was awful. I also had a new job so had no sick leave accrued so it was not good. Luckily I was returning to a previous employer so they knew I wasn't taking the mickey. I am lucky that I have reached a place in my career where I can have flexibility if I need it, and can (and do) work extra hours from home and on my days off, etc to make up for it.

Its not legal to sack someone for taking legitimate carer's leave. Just make sure you always have certificates, give as much notice as possible, etc.

It might also be worth getting a babysitter sometimes. Although paying for daycare as well makes this pretty much impossible for most of us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They could hire another to replace him I guess. But there is only 1 of him in the company. He takes 2 weeks annual leave each year when they close over Christmas break.
    Sick leave? He got appendicitis this year, went to work as normal, was rumbling when he finished for the day, took him to ED, he had surgery that night, spent next day in hospital taking calls, released next day, went back to work following day. I was so mad. He was post surgery. But it's hard to get a job doing what he does, and it's within construction, so they're expected to man up and do it I guess.
    I am due in OCT, so waiting to see what happens. Pretty sure I will be home recovering from cs on my own

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a single mum and in the past when DS has been sick more than once within say 2 months I paid a babysitter to watch him. Tbh I've not heard if anyone getting fired once let alone twice for being absent due to kids being sick so I'm not sure what to offer in the way of advice there.... Is your DS in the toddler phase? Can you supplement his vitamins - he seems to be getting sick a lot even for a toddler. DS got sick a bit during that toddler phase and I worked PT but it didn't interfere too much with work and if it did I called my babysitter as I was conscious of not missing too much work. His dad took time off too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also have no family support. DP only works 3 days a week but Murphy's law, DS always seems to get sick on one of his working days. We share the load - if it happens to be a day that I have to be at work with deadlines, DP takes the day off and vice versa.

We haven't had to yet, but we also have a nanny that we use once a month for a break so we could call her in. It would cost us $200 for a day so it would need to be a last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This winter seems to be a particular nightmare this year, DD started full time daycare about 2 months ago and she has been more often sick than not sick, I've had to have a back up babysitter for her on days when she was too unwell, financially it's not a great option but I'm on three months probation so I've just done what I have had to do.