+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    samilia is offline Our family is almost complete <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Freaking out - ATE SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM!!! FROM DONUT KING!!!

Ok, so I am so food cautious when pregnant because I'm worried about listeria, and just yesterday I ordered a thick shake from DONUT KING and after finishing it I had this horrid thought, "OMG, what if they used soft serve icecream?" I then rang them up and lo and behold, THEY DO!

Now I am freaking out. Does anyone know the daily cleaning process of donut king soft serve machines? Have you worked there? Would you trust it while pregnant... ? I can't believe I did this.. I'm so angry with my lapse in judgement and I'm so frustrated at the fact I can't take it back or undo what I've done. So upset.

Thanks for your help.

Me 25 πŸ’‘ DH 29
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 πŸ’—
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 πŸ’œ
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 πŸ’–

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Stressing like that is likely to do more damage.. Just calm down, most mums have some kind of slip up and everything is fine. Maybe call them and ask about their cleaning schedules or something to put your mind at rest?
    I had a total brain fart while pregnant with my 2nd bub and had a huge sundae from maccas, was a bit shocked that I forgot but all was fine

Deep breaths You're only human.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't mention how many times I get soft serve or banana smoothies. Cant say I have ever had an issue in 5 pregnancies. But that's just me.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The real risk is only during your first tri anyway. Put it down to an experience, try to relax and know that everything is going to be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't even know about the listeria worry with soft serves. I was having one weekly I'd say with my first. At about 7mo I asked for a frozen yoghurt at a juice bar thing and they wouldn't give me one when realised I was preg. I got the humph and went back to work to google - oopsy! Bub and I perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Judging by the amount of places that sell soft serve and the fact I've never heard of a outbreak of listeria caused by soft serve in recent years. Then I'd assume the chances are extremely small. Try not to worry, outbreaks of listeria are quite rare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Bunty  (11-06-2014)

samilia is offline Our family is almost complete <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I did some googling and found a bit of information that comforts me a little. For those that have this same worry, here are some pages to read..ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402470691.383139.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402470704.764215.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402470726.680852.jpg

Me 25 πŸ’‘ DH 29
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 πŸ’—
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 πŸ’œ
    πŸ‘ΆπŸŽ€DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 πŸ’–

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure they clean out those machines quite regularly .. its the Mr Whippy vans you should definitely avoid though as they apparently (so i have been told) get cleaned a lot less often.

Man I have been craving a McDonalds McFlurry or sundae lately its been driving me bonkers!!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's true it's not recommended but I think the odds are well in your favour

-listeria is actually very rare in oz
    -donut king would have a fairly vigorous cleaning schedule and monitoring system
    -the soft serve itself is prob less risky then other listeria risk food. I would say the sliced deli meats is more of a risk
    -off hand the last few listeria outbreaks have been for chicken wraps, soft cheese and organic sprouts.

I'm a qualified chef and run my own food business and think you risk level is on the lower side. I hVe never heard if a case of listeria from any donut king and remember it effects not only pregnant women so it's likely someone would have been sick by now. Is it a busy store?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Donut King would have very tight cleaning standards. You'd probably have equal chance of getting listeria from your own home.

Relax and stop googling. You will be fine.