+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The pic was taken to prove a point, I don't think there is anything wrong with the photo at all. I'm a very open breastfeeder, but I would not have been comfortable pumping in a room with 20 people in proximity... and no, in a portaloo is NOT a valid option.

But I hate breastpumps! Great things when you need them, but horrid things all the same!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    How do we know that staff member wasn't rude to 20 other non-bf festival-goers that day? She may have been treating the bf mum the same way she treats every customer. It's bad customer service but it certainly can't automatically be labelled as discrimination.
    We don't, but we DO know that some staff treated *this* particular woman poorly because of breastfeeding/pumping. What they may or may not have done to other customers is irrelevant because the comments were specifically directed to the act/issue of breastfeeding or pumping.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    A PP also made a comment to the effect that the woman could surely have gone 8 hours without pumping without her breasts 'exploding'. Don't know about other but my 4 month old was being fed pretty damn regularly and of I had gone without feeding or expressing for 8 hours I would have been in significant pain.
    That was me... And if this was the case for the woman in the story then perhaps her boobs were trying to tell her something... she should have either stayed at home with her still frequently feeding bub or planned ahead by calling the venue to check about a place to pump. Perhaps she is so public in her anger towards the venue because deep down she is embarrassed because she know she is at least partly at fault..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why didn't she do it in the dunny? A hand basin is a bit... Unhygenic and exhibitionist...
    I'd much rather express into a hand basin... A bit more hygienic than a toilet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I will add that this winery is rude and doesn't pay there bills! They are in a lot of debt ATM for not paying suppliers etc my friend just cut all ties with them after all her cheques bounced for months then they said it was because her cake was terrible! She supplied the wedding cakes for their packages.

I think this girl was ott. In all honesty I think she wanted her 5 mins of breast feeding fame which is sad. It might help get us woman more acceptance & areas but I don't think so. She's not shy she's arrogant. If she's at sea & vines she's probably had few too many anyway... Just saying

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-06-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    I have breastfeed and pumped everywhere over the past 3 years.

I don't give a damn what anyone says about my public BF and I've only had to pull someone up once for discriminating against me (funnily enough in a parents room of all places).

However, I also pumped for DS1 (premmie) for 8 months and if I missed a feed my supply would drop dramatically and would take me a week to increase again (and that was with motillium and 2 hourly pumping and breastfeeding since I have an issue with the milk ducts and must empty them very regularly or I won't produce milk).

I went to a wedding when ds1 was about 4 months and I was away for 8 hours. I had to pump 3 times in a corner and it was incredibly embarrassing. I had a choice of that or public toilets at a park (it was a daytime garden wedding).

My point is, even a regular public BFer and pumper can find it difficult in certain situations and I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer her a private place to pump (the proper toilets would have sufficed, sitting in a port-a-loo for 20 mins is unreasonable IMO).

It's easy to discreetly slip your top aside and cover your breast with bubs hand while bf if you don't want anyone to know you're doing it but pumping is noisy, the pump funnel is quite big and not easy to hide unless you're covered, people are a lot less familiar with pumping and lots of people find it strange or confronting (and obviously the staff member at the winery did find it so judging by their attitude and comments). Therefore, is it really that much to ask for a private space?

One final thing, IMO it is completely unreasonable for anyone to say that this mother should have stayed home or that any mother, bf or not, should have to exclude herself from going out 2 days, 2 months, 2 years post birth! Mothers are still human. They want to feel like they are sill part of society. It is difficult to go through the process of working out your new identity as a mother and sometimes a day/night out is just the thing they need to feel like a person again. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for all. I'm not usually one for "don't judge this or that" because people are constantly making judgments and that's part of being human but I do think people should remember how hard those first few months as a mother are before gobbing off about going out without the baby.

Thankyou for so eloquently putting this together. Exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    I have breastfeed and pumped everywhere over the past 3 years.

I don't give a damn what anyone says about my public BF and I've only had to pull someone up once for discriminating against me (funnily enough in a parents room of all places).

However, I also pumped for DS1 (premmie) for 8 months and if I missed a feed my supply would drop dramatically and would take me a week to increase again (and that was with motillium and 2 hourly pumping and breastfeeding since I have an issue with the milk ducts and must empty them very regularly or I won't produce milk).

I went to a wedding when ds1 was about 4 months and I was away for 8 hours. I had to pump 3 times in a corner and it was incredibly embarrassing. I had a choice of that or public toilets at a park (it was a daytime garden wedding).

My point is, even a regular public BFer and pumper can find it difficult in certain situations and I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer her a private place to pump (the proper toilets would have sufficed, sitting in a port-a-loo for 20 mins is unreasonable IMO).

It's easy to discreetly slip your top aside and cover your breast with bubs hand while bf if you don't want anyone to know you're doing it but pumping is noisy, the pump funnel is quite big and not easy to hide unless you're covered, people are a lot less familiar with pumping and lots of people find it strange or confronting (and obviously the staff member at the winery did find it so judging by their attitude and comments). Therefore, is it really that much to ask for a private space?

One final thing, IMO it is completely unreasonable for anyone to say that this mother should have stayed home or that any mother, bf or not, should have to exclude herself from going out 2 days, 2 months, 2 years post birth! Mothers are still human. They want to feel like they are sill part of society. It is difficult to go through the process of working out your new identity as a mother and sometimes a day/night out is just the thing they need to feel like a person again. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for all. I'm not usually one for "don't judge this or that" because people are constantly making judgments and that's part of being human but I do think people should remember how hard those first few months as a mother are before gobbing off about going out without the baby.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @CitrusRain this is all so true.

I'm surprised of the lack of support on the hub.

When I went back to work I had to pump during the day and found it really confronting to have to explain to other males employees about my pumping business.
    I would never dream of pumping in public

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

When I went back to work I had to pump during the day and found it really confronting to have to explain to other males employees about my pumping business.
    Pumping in public is mortifying to me. I'm also surprised that this lady has been vilified somewhat for speaking out.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (12-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

As a former long term pumper, I also would have never pumped in public. For this reason, I had to always think ahead in relation to how I was going to manage my expressing schedule if I was away from home.

If I was in her situation and planning an outing to an all day wine festival, my primary concern would be working out how and where I could express milk. I would most certainly ring the venue if I didn't have a vehicle available to sit in for some privacy.

I think she should have thought ahead and planned rather than rocking up and expecting she'd be offered a private spot. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing for her to request, but it is unreasonable to expect them to be able to cater for her instantly without prior warning.

By no means can I excuse the winery treating her so rudely though. They could have offered her the facility of the closed toilets. I'm guessing the staff responsible were of the immature variety.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (12-06-2014),atomicmama  (12-06-2014),bezzy  (12-06-2014),bitterpure  (12-06-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (12-06-2014),monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),PinkPink  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-06-2014),Rutabaga  (12-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014),VicPark  (12-06-2014)