+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    The comments from staff were out of line, but beyond that I don't see an issue.

I spent 7 weeks carrying a breast pump in my handbag and it wasn't so I could get tanked at a winery.
    I always thought about where I could express before I left the house and whether I would be able to store the milk.
    I used the toilet to pump on occasion, poured the milk down the sink and rinsed the pump. If I wasn't comfortable with that I would have phoned the venue in advance and asked if there was somewhere more appropriate and if the answer was no, I wouldn't have gone.
    Completely agree with this.

I pumped up until my DS was 13 months old and I always had to plan around it.

This woman's mistake was assuming her needs would be instantly met by the venue. Never assume.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurprise View Post
    If she were a member of staff, her employer would have been legally obliged to provide her somewhere to express in private (and toilets ARE NOT legally acceptable). How is it a stretch to think your customers might need the same? Especially if you have thousands of visitors each year.
    But she wasnt a member of the staff. She was a customer. They didnt discriminate against her because no one told her she couldnt pump, just simply that they had no private room for her to do it in.

Id imagine that in somewhere like a winery that it would be a health and safety issue to let a customer into staff only areas.

How is this any different to a restaurant? Ive been to dozens of restaurants that dont offer anywhere private to breastfeed or pump? So long as they dont try to stop a woman from breastfeeding or pumping, its not discrimination.

I will agree however that the staff members comments were uncalled for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-06-2014),Jellyfishie  (11-06-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-06-2014),Purple Lily  (11-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (11-06-2014),Que Sera  (11-06-2014),snowqu33n  (11-06-2014),TheGooch  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with most others.

I don't think the winery was obliged to offer her anywhere private. It would have been nice to accommodate her if they were able, but I certainly wouldn't look down on a business which wouldn't.

The comments/treatment from staff were unacceptable & unprofessional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the woman who this is about. If the staff had treated her with respect she would not have gone public. The way she was spoken to by the manager was absolutely disgusting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (11-06-2014),ourbradybunch  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I know the woman who this is about. If the staff had treated her with respect she would not have gone public. The way she was spoken to by the manager was absolutely disgusting.
    Thats the crux of it to me, the rudeness. She shouldn't have been treated poorly, that is not cool at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The word discrimination is so often used incorrectly. It's not discrimination if someone is rude to you. That's just someone being rude.

Nobody told her she couldn't pump. That would have been discrimination. End of.

10. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-06-2014),bezzy  (11-06-2014),Curby  (11-06-2014),DJ Nette  (11-06-2014),Ellewood  (12-06-2014),gnomesy  (12-06-2014),Jellyfishie  (11-06-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-06-2014),Mezmerised  (11-06-2014),NancyBlackett  (11-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (11-06-2014),Purple Lily  (11-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (11-06-2014),Rutabaga  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (11-06-2014),TheGooch  (11-06-2014),VicPark  (11-06-2014),Vonnie89  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I had a feeling it was the case. I'm sure no one would have made a fuss in this situation if the staff had been trying to help and had been considerate and respectful.

Of course no one is expecting to have a lactation room available in any and every business. But everyone should be expecting to be treated respectfully.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I'm a breastfeeding mother who expresses on occasion.

If she was pumping and dumping she could have done it in the toilet - as bigredv said, they would have HAD to have toilet facilities open for members of the public.

If for some strange reason they didn't, then surely she could have asked the his driver of HER bus if she could sit in there before everyone else boarded?

I definitely think the staff should not have been rude to her and mad fun of her or laughed etc, that's rude and unprofessional, but I don't think she was 'discriminated against'.

If anyone else had have asked for a private room for something else, their answer would have been the same.

Also I'm sure if she was visiting a few different wineries she could have waited a few minutes to express at the next stop? Maybe they would have been a bit more accommodating.

I don't think business should HAVE to accommodate mums who express, Afterall they are told probably on a daily basis that mums can feed whenever and wherever they like, often they feed in public without a cover (like myself) and we are always going on how we shouldn't be 'hidden' etc so really, having a separate room for expressing seems a bit OTT. I mean how many mums would go out on a regular basis and have to express while they were out. Yes it happens of course, but not nearly as much as just a breastfeeding mum.
    Agree.

She could have gone to the bus or car to express if she couldn't have found elsewhere.

Not discrimination but the workers should have kept their mouths shut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurprise View Post
    Legally, she is 100% supported by the anti-discrimination act. I ran an event at a hotel where I had an expressing mother attend. The hotel were incredibly accommodating, and actually provided a hotel room for her to use during the day. Pumping mothers have the same rights as breast feeding mothers - she could have done it in the middle of the restaurant if she'd wanted to. Giving management a heads up would have been a good move, but at the end of the day, she's not in the wrong.
    No, she's not. The law refers to when pumping milk to give to a baby- she was dumping it so it's not quite the same thing.
    They weren't obliged to find her somewhere but the rudeness and immature attitude of the staff member is pretty sad. A bit of education would go a long way there. As others have said, why not ask to use the bus, or even bring a nursing cover of some kind? I think it's awful they were so rude to her but I also see that she could have been better organised and made arrangements ahead of time.

Edited to say- it could be discrimination though, I think I'm wrong- not about the pumping bit but just reread the act and you aren't allowed to treat a person less favourably on the basis of them being a breast feeding mother
    Last edited by Bunty; 11-06-2014 at 10:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Then I think she put her emphasis on the wrong thing. Her post comes across as though she has more issue with them not offering her a suitable (in her eyes) place to express rather than the manner that they treated her.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Bunty  (11-06-2014),TheGooch  (11-06-2014)