+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    People get treated disrespectfully on a daily basis, I don't think that this person deserves special attention for treatment that she received for not feeding a baby. I actually think that a lot of this undermines the plight of normalising breastfeeding in public. Pumping and dumping is not the same thing as feeding and like anyone who has any kind of special requirement, if you know you will need to do it, you plan around it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Completely agree 100%.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (12-06-2014),monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),undercover7  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Nuh-uh. What started the whole thing was the mother wanting to booze it up when her baby was still very dependent on the boob and then not planning in advance for that.
    let me re-write that for you;

A young mother, who had pre-expressed milk to accommodate her young son, left him in the care of extended family while she had an afternoon out wine tasting with a friend, expecting that the public toilets would be available so she could express and dump her milk. When the public toilets weren't available she asked to use another private room/area and was public derided and shamed.

See - it's all about language reflecting attitude...

Leaving your child with an adequate amount of breast-milk for the time away and taking a breast pump WAS planning in advance.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014),MilkingMaid  (13-06-2014),TreeGirl  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All the problems in the world and this is what I see a lot of people discussing on both FB and here. Meh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    let me re-write that for you;

A young mother, who had pre-expressed milk to accommodate her young son, left him in the care of extended family while she had an afternoon out wine tasting with a friend, expecting that the public toilets would be available so she could express and dump her milk. When the public toilets weren't available she asked to use another private room/area and was public derided and shamed.

See - it's all about language reflecting attitude...

Leaving your child with an adequate amount of breast-milk for the time away and taking a breast pump WAS planning in advance.
    Do you realllllly think the woman expected to pump in the public toilet? I get the impression that anything less that a private office wouldn't be acceptable to her. There's no way in hell I would express in a toilet. People drop big stinky ****s in toilets. Even if they weren't being used for the festival it's vomit territory for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Lol - I'll remember that one next time a mum is being discriminated for BF outside her home.
    You'll let her know it's her fault for wanting to get out of the house and not planning to be around a parents room while her baby might need a feed.

I hope the lady isn't a huber.
    There's a big difference between feeding your baby while out shopping and pumping and dumping while you are on the booze.. And I wouldn't worry too much if the mother is a hubber. Posting all the photos etc over Facebook she's obviously not concerned with privacy or public opinion.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the other ladies who have said it's not discrimination to refuse her access to staff only areas to pump. Surely there were toilets at an event catering for 200 drinkers (as some posts have suggested was the case). Pump in there. BF mothers don't have the right to go into private staff quarters just because they are feeding. Pumping is not BF an infant. It doesn't need to be done right that minute because the baby is hungry. She could have waited...her milk supply wouldn't dry up instantly because she missed one feed. Boobs sore yes, but it's the price you pay!

I say this as an extended BF mother who strongly supports the rights of BF mothers. I just don't think those rights extend to being catered for on a **** up.

However, the comments of the staff were immature, discriminatory and out of line. Perhaps she would have responded more quietly had the staff member not been a jerk.

**my phone keeps wanting to say pimp instead of pump...it's a bit funny when you swap the words***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There's a big difference between feeding your baby while out shopping and pumping and dumping while you are on the booze.. And I wouldn't worry too much if the mother is a hubber. Posting all the photos etc over Facebook she's obviously not concerned with privacy or public opinion.
    Agree with vp. Sea and vines is a **** party excuse my French

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Discrimination would be if the venue let this mother go into one of their private rooms to pump and dump and then I came along asking to use that room to make a phone call and they said no to me and yes to her.

Maybe then I'd also make up some reason why I was discriminated against, like I don't know, I have brown hair, or I'm South African, or my shoes weren't red.

For goodness sake, they didn't let ANYONE use their private rooms! It's not discrimination!

Yes they were rude but lots of staff are rude to me and I don't make a big song and dance of it! Plastering it all over Facebook and social media tells me she isn't at all shy or embarrassed about pumping in public.

For those who say she should have planned ahead etc, I do agree to an extent, however if she is a first time mum, perhaps she didn't think about this particular scenario, so i do feel for her, I wouldn't pump in public myself, but, I would have waited until we got to the next venue, or I would have asked the bus driver to use the empty bus, or I would have just done it in the portaloo!

If she was drinking during the day and there were no other toilets she would have had to have used those portaloos anyway! I'm sure it's not the first time she's used them..

I hate them too, they stink, they are generally dirty and yes there is normally a queue, but that's what you get when you go to these festivals and most of us know that. And let's face it, if you gotta go, you gotta go, so at some stage during the day she would have had to have used them, unless she went a pee'd behind the tank where she pumped... What's the difference if you are using the portaloo to pee or pump? You're in there anyway!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (16-06-2014),Rutabaga  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    Here is *the* pumping photo...

Attachment 56409
    I think the bigger question here is: are those tights as pants???

Seriously though, seems like a case of young, immature ignorant staff. If I was 16 and someone asked me for somewhere to pump I would have no idea what is was - and when I realised I would have probably been embarrassed and made a joke.

How to solve that? I don't know. Problem with society in the large

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daisy Duck For This Useful Post:

babyblu11  (13-06-2014),cairnsmummy  (13-06-2014),Jellyfishie  (13-06-2014),MilkingMaid  (13-06-2014),Taiyed  (16-06-2014),Vonnie89  (17-06-2014)