+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    That could be done if there were toilet facilities. The article states they only had port-a-loos.
    I didn't read port a loo anywhere. Just that the main toilets were closed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Wow, I guess there's a reason you have gone undercover with a comment like that! This reads like one of those anonymous rants in the comments feed below Yahoo news stories. Yuck.
    Well actually even if I were using my original name it would make no difference, i just used this as that's what I'm logged in as on my phone. The whole forum is actually 'anonymous' unless you obviously 'out' yourself so I don't know what my username has anything to do with my opinion. FYI I'm not into attacking people or being controversial. I just feel that this woman made a big deal out of pretty much nothing. Yes, she could be annoyed and angry at the WAY she was spoken to and laughed at but not be as demanding that a space be provided. I personally think some ppl just like to make out that they were 'discriminated' against when they simply weren't. I don't really know how to word it but it kind of minimizes those who are legitimately discriminated against for BF issues. My opinion of course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Under that premise any rude interaction can be classed as discrimination. And she was protected for breast feeding, in my mind pumping and dumping is different. She was not feeding a baby.
    No, that's not correct. Anti-discrimination laws specifically protect against rude/offensive or 'less favourable treatment that is done on the basis of what are known as 'protected attributes'. For example, gender, religious belief, race and disability are all protected attributes in most jurisdictions. So is breastfeeding.
    On the issue of whether expressing is also protected, case law has confirmed that it probably is. But I get your point, and it is likely still a grey area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    But she wasn't being treated less favourably, she was being treated equally to all the other patrons, no one was aloud in the inside toilets, including her. If she had be told she was not allowed to pump on the premises then she would have been discriminated against.
    Yes I think that might be true... I was mostly referring to the offensive comments she overheard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    egg... chicken...

to me it's quite obvious that the way she was treated and spoken to is wrong.
    Now her reaction may be over zealous but what did start the whole situation is the winery comments and attitude.
    Nuh-uh. What started the whole thing was the mother wanting to booze it up when her baby was still very dependent on the boob and then not planning in advance for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Let's be clear on the definition of discrimination again. If there is rudeness (or offensive / insulting talk or the like) and it is done 'on the basis of' or 'because of ' breastfeeding/ pumping or any other attribute protected by legislation, then yes it CAN be discrimination. Many posters have said 'it was rude but it was not discrimination' but frankly this is the essence of discrimination... Less favourable treatment on the basis of a protected attribute , whether that he gender or age or disability or breastfeeding.
    Maybe the winery were rude not because of the expressing thing, but rather because the mother was obnoxious and rude herself?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),Mummykate28  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (13-06-2014),undercover7  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    She was pumping and dumping to either a) relieve pressure or b)to remove the alcohol. Not everything breast milk related makes it discrimination. I highly doubt bfers would think the bakery that had no microwave to heat my baby's bottles was discriminating against me. I just see this situation as a rude employee and a bit of a precious customer.
    or c) keep her supply up.

Bottom line is the winery has a suitable space and chose not to let her access it. On top of this they were rude and offensive.

Her reaction may be over zealous it doesn't change the facts that the winery did not treat her with respect and decency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Nuh-uh. What started the whole thing was the mother wanting to booze it up when her baby was still very dependent on the boob and then not planning in advance for that.
    Lol - I'll remember that one next time a mum is being discriminated for BF outside her home.
    You'll let her know it's her fault for wanting to get out of the house and not planning to be around a parents room while her baby might need a feed.

I hope the lady isn't a huber.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (13-06-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    People get treated disrespectfully on a daily basis, I don't think that this person deserves special attention for treatment that she received for not feeding a baby. I actually think that a lot of this undermines the plight of normalising breastfeeding in public. Pumping and dumping is not the same thing as feeding and like anyone who has any kind of special requirement, if you know you will need to do it, you plan around it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2014),Curby  (13-06-2014),delirium  (12-06-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (13-06-2014),monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),Purple Lily  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (13-06-2014),undercover7  (13-06-2014),VicPark  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Bottom line is the winery has a suitable space and chose not to let her access it. On top of this they were rude and offensive.

Her reaction may be over zealous it doesn't change the facts that the winery did not treat her with respect and decency.
    They didn't allow anyone access it though. If everyone was allowed to use their toilets but she was told she couldn't pump in there, then that would clearly be discrimination. Holding her to the same rules as the other 200 people at the festival is pretty fair I think. She did have options... which were more palatable to staging a pumping session in a location that would elicit sympathy then share it on FB.

For a 4 month old, missing one pump and dump isn't going to adversely affect an established supply. I'm not for a moment saying she shouldn't have, but come on, this wasn't the same as feeding a baby. Had this happened to a ffer she would have been told to get over it and stop being so over sensitive.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (13-06-2014),PipersMummy  (12-06-2014),undercover7  (13-06-2014)