+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 172
  1. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    59
    Reviews
    0
    It was a festival! it's not like she was just popping into the cellar door to do some wine tasting. What point did she get across by uploading the photo? She wanted a private space to pump but then uploads the photo. Bit contradictory

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Let's be clear on the definition of discrimination again. If there is rudeness (or offensive / insulting talk or the like) and it is done 'on the basis of' or 'because of ' breastfeeding/ pumping or any other attribute protected by legislation, then yes it CAN be discrimination. Many posters have said 'it was rude but it was not discrimination' but frankly this is the essence of discrimination... Less favourable treatment on the basis of a protected attribute , whether that he gender or age or disability or breastfeeding.
    Under that premise any rude interaction can be classed as discrimination. And she was protected for breast feeding, in my mind pumping and dumping is different. She was not feeding a baby.
    Last edited by delirium; 12-06-2014 at 16:39.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked
    178
    Reviews
    2
    My only sympathy for this young woman is that she clearly does not have the social skills or maturity to constructively address issues or conflict. We have all experienced poor or rude customer service at some stage, it is no reason to go on a hissy fit rampage in an attempt to destroy a business. This article smacks of self promotion!

    To get an industry onside and considering a new issue (when there is no law forcing them to provide for it) takes tact and a willingness to educate rather than punish.

    Her behaviour is cringeworthy at best and certainly doesn't speak on behalf of me or any of my BF'ing mates. It is a wonder she didn't get evicted for acting belligerently at a licensed premises.... Probably one chardy short!

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

    Curby  (12-06-2014),Happymum2  (12-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014),Vonnie89  (12-06-2014)

  5. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,316
    Thanks
    1,551
    Thanked
    2,536
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Under that premise any rude interaction can be classed as discrimination. And she was protected for breast feeding, in my mind pumping and dumping is different. She was not feeding a baby.
    but why was she expressing? to be able to feed a baby.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014)

  7. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Just a clean, private space would do it for me (that isn't a portable toilet). There are many other people who could also use such a space, not necessarily just pumpers/BFers.
    I do think it's a 'nice to have' option, but not something all businesses should have.

    It's a winery.... Given the situation I think it's fair to assume it's the first time such a request has ever been made.

    Allowing non-staff members into a staff area unsupervised or not is a serious security risk for many businesses. It could be anyone, claiming anything.

    She over-reacted big time. I get she was disappointed but it's not a straight-forward issue, and she just should suck it up and I agree with others her response was contradictory! The world doesn't revolve around mothers, nor should it! She could have considered how she would pump before her long outing.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (12-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (12-06-2014),Purple Lily  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

  9. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Looking at the photo of her expressing.... It's hardly noticeable and I dare say you can see less than if you were public breastfeeding! What's the issue sitting and expressing relatively discreetly? I'm confused because there's always such uproar about public breastfeeding, but now uproar about lack of privacy - can we get together and decide what we need as mums? If we can't agree how is the rest of the world meant to know? If we all have different needs, then let's be a bit more lenient on businesses who don't get it right!

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (12-06-2014),delirium  (12-06-2014),Happymum2  (12-06-2014),Redcorset  (12-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

  11. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    but why was she expressing? to be able to feed a baby.
    She was pumping and dumping to either a) relieve pressure or b)to remove the alcohol. Not everything breast milk related makes it discrimination. I highly doubt bfers would think the bakery that had no microwave to heat my baby's bottles was discriminating against me. I just see this situation as a rude employee and a bit of a precious customer.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Donnab739  (12-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (12-06-2014)

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    but why was she expressing? to be able to feed a baby.
    For BF to work, you need to do it. My boobs would have exploded if I missed a feed plus my supply would have dissipated (even missing just one feed).

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,192
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked
    1,062
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Let's be clear on the definition of discrimination again. If there is rudeness (or offensive / insulting talk or the like) and it is done 'on the basis of' or 'because of ' breastfeeding/ pumping or any other attribute protected by legislation, then yes it CAN be discrimination. Many posters have said 'it was rude but it was not discrimination' but frankly this is the essence of discrimination... Less favourable treatment on the basis of a protected attribute , whether that he gender or age or disability or breastfeeding.
    But she wasn't being treated less favourably, she was being treated equally to all the other patrons, no one was aloud in the inside toilets, including her. If she had be told she was not allowed to pump on the premises then she would have been discriminated against.

  15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (13-06-2014),atomicmama  (12-06-2014),delirium  (12-06-2014),PomPoms  (13-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

  16. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,360
    Thanks
    2,565
    Thanked
    3,780
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Let's be clear on the definition of discrimination again. If there is rudeness (or offensive / insulting talk or the like) and it is done 'on the basis of' or 'because of ' breastfeeding/ pumping or any other attribute protected by legislation, then yes it CAN be discrimination. Many posters have said 'it was rude but it was not discrimination' but frankly this is the essence of discrimination... Less favourable treatment on the basis of a protected attribute , whether that he gender or age or disability or breastfeeding.
    For the purpose of your argument, let's consider another protected attribute. If a Chinese customer arrived at the winery and the staff member spoke rudely to them and wouldn't accommodate an out of the ordinary request, would we automatically assume they were racist? Of course not! They have bad customer service but it cannot automatically be discrimination just because someone falls into a certain category!
    Last edited by JR03; 12-06-2014 at 18:22.

  17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (12-06-2014),delirium  (12-06-2014),kw123  (12-06-2014),Purple Lily  (12-06-2014),SAgirl  (12-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Exclusive pumping?
    By mam83 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 15:42
  2. Do businesses get a little useless at xmas time?
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-12-2013, 14:22
  3. Facebook Clothes Businesses
    By dee1 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-12-2013, 22:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!