+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

the winery has turned a small issue in a big mess
    With respect, I believe it is her that has turned a small issue into a big mess. She had other options and didn't take them. Preferring to spread it all around FB and make it yet again about a bfer being discriminated against. I agree with a previous comment that the business probably shut down their site, not bc they really believe they are in the wrong, but bc they know how rabid some bfers can get. If they had stopped her doing it in public, then I would be on the bandwagon agreeing she was been wronged.

All I see is a hypocritical attention seeker.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2014),monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014),VicPark  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies yet.

My thoughts are that the staff member was definitely rude to her and should not have made that comment.
    I think that with breastfeeding in public getting so much media attention, it is possible that this lady saw an opportunity to get her 15 mins of fame, blowing the incident out of proportion and disguising it as "discrimination".
    I think she was (rightfully) angry about the situation and she should definitely complain but, to go to the lengths of taking a photo and sharing it on social media when apparently the area they offered wasn't private enough, it seems a little off to me.

[The hubber formerly known as misscheviuz]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    No, that's not what I mean at all. I don't mean a purpose built space. In the absence of a clean toilet facility some other space would be fine. Obviously it would depend on the premises as to where that is. I think it's reasonable to assume that if you need to pump in a nightclub and don't want to do it out in the open then the toilets is pretty much your only option. It's not unreasonable to assume a night club would have toilets. It would be unreasonable to ask for more than that. Same goes for a winery. You should be able to safely assume that a winery would have a clean toilet facility. This one didn't so an alternative space could have been provided on request instead of degrading comments. It's just courtesy.
    But many places simply don't have 'some other space'.
    I don't know how many venues you have been to where the majority of people are drinking, but I wouldn't put clean and toilet in the same line. If the inside toilets were in use, they would have been just as bad as a portaloo.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    egg... chicken...

to me it's quite obvious that the way she was treated and spoken to is wrong.
    Now her reaction may be over zealous but what did start the whole situation is the winery comments and attitude.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-06-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014),MilkingMaid  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    egg... chicken...

Now her reaction may be over zealous but what did start the whole situation is the winery comments and attitude.

And as I said earlier in the thread, she's emphasising the wrong thing.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (12-06-2014),Rutabaga  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    egg... chicken...

I agree. Her reaction may be over zealous and may have a dash of attention seeking in it but that's not really relevant to me. The winery doesn't even have to provide a space in my eyes, I think it's reasonable to not have a space but if ya did have one, then perhaps going above and beyond the call in terms of providing it to a patron to just help them out, not because you had to do it, would have been a more reasonable approach. My gut is that they probably could have and they didn't, this is what I find poor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    And as I said earlier in the thread, she's emphasising the wrong thing.
    I agree with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by undercover7 View Post
    Ridiculous!!!! Pump and dump in the toilet. She's just made a fool of herself! Just because you're breast feeding doesn't entitle you to special treatment! Toughen up lady, you knew you'd have to do that so You should have planned accordingly or not gone! First world problem or what?!
    Wow, I guess there's a reason you have gone undercover with a comment like that! This reads like one of those anonymous rants in the comments feed below Yahoo news stories. Yuck.
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 12-06-2014 at 15:53.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    egg... chicken...

Absolutely. They were very rude. Doesn't mean it was discrimination.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Absolutely. They were very rude. Doesn't mean it was discrimination.
    Let's be clear on the definition of discrimination again. If there is rudeness (or offensive / insulting talk or the like) and it is done 'on the basis of' or 'because of ' breastfeeding/ pumping or any other attribute protected by legislation, then yes it CAN be discrimination. Many posters have said 'it was rude but it was not discrimination' but frankly this is the essence of discrimination... Less favourable treatment on the basis of a protected attribute , whether that he gender or age or disability or breastfeeding.