+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    As a former long term pumper, I also would have never pumped in public. For this reason, I had to always think ahead in relation to how I was going to manage my expressing schedule if I was away from home.

If I was in her situation and planning an outing to an all day wine festival, my primary concern would be working out how and where I could express milk. I would most certainly ring the venue if I didn't have a vehicle available to sit in for some privacy.

I think she should have thought ahead and planned rather than rocking up and expecting she'd be offered a private spot. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing for her to request, but it is unreasonable to expect them to be able to cater for her instantly without prior warning.

By no means can I excuse the winery treating her so rudely though. They could have offered her the facility of the closed toilets. I'm guessing the staff responsible were of the immature variety.
    Yep, I'm 100% with you on that.

Sometimes in life, we need to take personal responsibility. She didn't do that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Mothers and babies have a right to breastfeed (including pumping). It's protected by law. Accept it, accommodate it, get over it.
    She did have the right, no one said she couldn't.

It's a bit confusing, really. We're up in arms when people are asked to feed their baby in the toilet, understandably, and here's this lady that had been offered a quiet corner (as quiet as you can get at a festival) and she's complaining that they wouldn't give her access to the toilet.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (12-06-2014),Purple Lily  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not what I meant by my last paragraph. I meant that bf in public is an issue that most people should be aware if by now and it's even protected by law. If businesses don't want to see this kind of public backlash they should be accommodating.

Personally I think offering her the use of a private space, toilets included, since she ASKED for it, is the least they could do. Yes, if she had been asked to pump in the toilets instead of in public that would have people up in arms.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she has been discriminated against (although it do think it's borderline and I can see how a case could be made for discrimination given the staff members comments), I do however think that businesses should educate their staff about breastfeeding and accommodate breastfeeding mothers whether they want to bf/pump publicly or in private.
    Only my first paragraph was in reply you, the second paragraph was just a general comment as I find it ironic.

The inside toilet was out of use.
    Staff only areas are not somewhere the public are entitled to access.
    They may not have had anywhere else.
    They offered her a quiet corner.

On the other hand,
    She didn't bother to call beforehand to find out if there was going to be somewhere that met her requirements.
    She was attending a festival at a winery, not exactly the kind of place where you would expect a NICU-like expressing room or even a parent room.

How accommodating are you expecting them to be beyond being polite and not telling her that she can't express?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a clean, private space would do it for me (that isn't a portable toilet). There are many other people who could also use such a space, not necessarily just pumpers/BFers.
    So you think there should be a room suitable for breastfeeding or expressing everywhere?
    Be able to go out on a Friday night and have your own room to express in a night club between guzzling down drinks?
    Where do you draw the line?

This isn't a shopping centre... it's a premise that makes and sells alcohol. It's a winery, I don't think a suitable breastfeeding area would have been in their plan when designing the place, nor do I think it should have been.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (12-06-2014),Curby  (12-06-2014),monkey&&me  (12-06-2014),NancyBlackett  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-06-2014),Que Sera  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014),VicPark  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it surprising that so many people think the winery should be able to supply a 'clean, quiet, private room' on demand. Most businesses won't have a spare room just sitting there in case someone needs it, sure maybe in a dream world but not in reality.

How small does a business have to be before they are excused from this?? Before having DS I ran a small business and leased rooms/offices to work from....was I supposed to pay rent for another room in case someone wanted to pump or breastfeed?? Public would no way be allowed in offices or the staff room (confidential documents, staff's personal belongings) and other rooms would be in use with clients and meetings.

I've been breastfeeding almost a year and had to express at the start as DS was in neonates and I think this mother's reaction is totally unreasonable and does the pro-breastfeeding movement no favours!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2014),Que Sera  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ridiculous!!!! Pump and dump in the toilet. She's just made a fool of herself! Just because you're breast feeding doesn't entitle you to special treatment! Toughen up lady, you knew you'd have to do that so You should have planned accordingly or not gone! First world problem or what?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The only room in my office with a lockable door is our bathroom so as a small business we could not offer anything except that for breastfeeding or pumping mums, obviously if we had a small private room I would offer it but our office is all open plan so we would be in trouble if we legally had to provide a space

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, that's not what I mean at all. I don't mean a purpose built space. In the absence of a clean toilet facility some other space would be fine. Obviously it would depend on the premises as to where that is. I think it's reasonable to assume that if you need to pump in a nightclub and don't want to do it out in the open then the toilets is pretty much your only option. It's not unreasonable to assume a night club would have toilets. It would be unreasonable to ask for more than that. Same goes for a winery. You should be able to safely assume that a winery would have a clean toilet facility. This one didn't so an alternative space could have been provided on request instead of degrading comments. It's just courtesy.
    I agree. This is not about all businesses providing a space for pumping at all. It's about a winery which apparently has "opulent rooms" for weddings mocking a woman asking for a private space for a short time. I really do find it hard to believe that they would not have a spare spot in the place. To be fair if they didn't have a space then an explanation without any derogatory commentary is reasonable. I just don't believe in this instance that she could not be accommodated. Law or no law its just poor form, if you can help someone out, frigging well help them out - I think they could have chosen to help her out and they chose not to.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014),MilkingMaid  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What an attention seeker. For the record, I support women bfing in public and do not condone discrimination for nursing mothers at all..... this was not discrimination. They didn't tell her she couldn't pump in public. They simply didn't have a private room she could use. Yes the staff were rude, but I've had staff at different businesses be rude to me without a drop of breast milk in sight She could of pumped in the bus (which would have been warm and empty). Granted portaloos are feral, but what was she expecting at a wine festival??

I also was amused she put up the pump and dump photo for thousands of people to see, yet all this ruckus was bc she demanded a private room.

There were several times when my first child was small that I needed to use a microwave to heat up her bottle while out. Lots of places either didn't have one, or refused to heat it for me. I didn't consider it discrimination, just annoying. So I quickly worked it out by buying a good quality bottle holder and heating the bottles warmer than they drank them so by 2 hours later they were still warm.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2014),Curby  (12-06-2014),Purple Lily  (12-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-06-2014),Que Sera  (12-06-2014),TheGooch  (12-06-2014),undercover7  (12-06-2014),VicPark  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I agree. This is not about all businesses providing a space for pumping at all. It's about a winery which apparently has "opulent rooms" for weddings mocking a woman asking for a private space for a short time. I really do find it hard to believe that they would not have a spare spot in the place. To be fair if they didn't have a space then an explanation without any derogatory commentary is reasonable. I just don't believe in this instance that she could not be accommodated. Law or no law its just poor form, if you can help someone out, frigging well help them out - I think they could have chosen to help her out and they chose not to.
    yes and what about their regular toilets?
    "out of service" sounds like the didn't want patrons to use it... but since she only needed a private space not a toilet to actually pee she could have used that space.

the winery has turned a small issue in a big mess and I believed it was their call to deal with this customer with respect and curtesy.
    If they had done so, even without providing a private space, I'm sure we wouldn't be discussing the events today ...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (12-06-2014)