+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    How much does your son weigh? If he is over 18kg then the harness is not designed to restrain over that weight and the lap-sash is safer.

Here is the link to Britax's specs on using the maxi rider, the first page outlines the weights.

<a href="http://www.britax.com.au/img/Product/Description/uploads/user-guides/safesound/Maxi_Rider.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.britax.com.au/img/Product/Description/uploads/user-guides/safesound/Maxi_Rider.pdf</a>
    Thank you, this is really helpful... He is 18.5 kgs at the moment, and turns 4 next month... I am going to look into rant Britax info, as that is something I had t even thought about, that the harness might only be designed for a certain weight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    To go back to the OP if your seat doesn't have height markers the harness is recommended to be used to 18kg. If you were looking to upgrade seats so that you can harness for longer there are some really good specials on at the moment and I can suggest some seats if you like.
    Thanks Amyd - my seat does have markers, I will check tomorrow where his shoulders are in relation to these... I would love to hear your suggestions of the booster seats that had a high weight limit for the harness... Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 5 & height-wise off the charts. She is still in a 5pt harness and will stay in it as long as I can do it up. She asks why all her friends use 'big seatbelts' and I just say because that was their Mummy's choice but I believe her seatbelt will keep her safer if we have an accident' and she is fine with that. I haven't had an adult comment on it and I wouldn't care anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just bought a new seat to be able to keep my 4yo harnessed as long as possible. I had a weight based ezy combo but she's nearly 18kg and I'm not ready to put her in a seat belt.

Seats are height based now, not weight, so the 18kg thing shouldn't apply for a 2010 standard seat.

There's a great group on FB for advice on this kind of thing. PM me if you want the details, I'm not sure if I can post it.

DD 05/10
    DS 09/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    She asks why all her friends use 'big seatbelts' and I just say because that was their Mummy's choice but I believe her seatbelt will keep her safer if we have an accident' and she is fine with that.
    I used to tell that to my kids too, and I would also tell them it's "like a race car driver".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    My DD is 5 & height-wise off the charts. She is still in a 5pt harness and will stay in it as long as I can do it up. She asks why all her friends use 'big seatbelts' and I just say because that was their Mummy's choice but I believe her seatbelt will keep her safer if we have an accident' and she is fine with that. I haven't had an adult comment on it and I wouldn't care anyway.
    Aren't you worried in an accident the 5 point safety harness isn't designed for her weight? If she's a big girl she would surely be over the weight specifications.
    I believe the seat belt is safer once they are of age, or they wouldn't have those recommendations.

I have a 2.5yr old who is off the charts for height and weight. She's 23kg. I will be turning her at the height marker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Once DS was over 18kg I put him in the booster with adult seat belt. No way would I put a child over 18kg in a 5 point harness, they're not designed for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seats made prior to the 2010 standard were weight based, and yes were only to 18kg in harness mode (though tested to 22kg). Now they are height based. Many manufacturers even say you can use the harness past the marker if the child is below 32kg. But reading the manual would be the best bet to make sure what you're hearing applies to your seat

DD 05/10
    DS 09/12

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mezmerised For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (12-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep him harnessed as long as possible, keeping him safer! The law is a minimum and you should always use your seat to its maximum before moving to the next step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Aren't you worried in an accident the 5 point safety harness isn't designed for her weight? If she's a big girl she would surely be over the weight specifications.
    I believe the seat belt is safer once they are of age, or they wouldn't have those recommendations.

I have a 2.5yr old who is off the charts for height and weight. She's 23kg. I will be turning her at the height marker.
    Weight is irrelevant if the seat has height markers.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (12-06-2014),MummaOJ  (12-06-2014)