+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sure if we all looked hard enough we could find loopholes in most laws. As previously mentioned, of course they have to provide for kids that are exceptionally bigger than the norm.

Anyway I'm out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    I'm sure if we all looked hard enough we could find loopholes in most laws. As previously mentioned, of course they have to provide for kids that are exceptionally bigger than the norm.

Anyway I'm out!
    So each year when they make a slightly bigger seat I should buy that one? If it wasn't safe they wouldn't allow it in the law. It's not a loop hole, it's realising one size fits all isn't the answer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Check out the babylove ezy combos. Excellent CREP safety ratings. My DD is almost 6 and still harnessed in this seat. Once she eventually grows out of the harness it can be tucked away and used as a booster seat with lap sash seatbelt. She's very tall, the tallest girl in her prep class and I think she's taller than only 1 other boy!
    This would be my recommendation too, they are wonderful seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Nope, endangerment relates to abuse or neglect. The correct offence for an incorrect child restraint is a penalty notice (different states have different wording for the ticket). According to Dept Transport and Main Roads (QLD) The penalty for incorrectly securing a child is A$330 and three demerit points. This scenario may not even fit the criteria for a penalty notice anyway.
    And if the child was injured, she could be charged with neglect. There's a wide scope of what defines neglect. If she is not using the correct restrain for the age of the child and it results in the child being injured in an accident, then the police can most definitely lay charges of neglect.

"Types of neglect
    Typically neglect is classified into sub-types. Below are examples of the most common subtypes used in the literature to describe neglect, though there may be others and each will be influenced by the age of the child:

Physical neglect: a failure to provide age appropriate physical necessities like food, clothing and shelter".

Providing the incorrect seat could fall into the category of physical neglect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    It USED to be illegal to have under 4s in a booster, but it no longer is. You cannot get into trouble for using a booster seat at less that 4 if she meets the requirements.

I would have no hesitations about using a booster seat if she met the safety requirements for height and weight.
    According to the road safety act a child between the ages of 6 months and 4 years must be restrained in either a rear facing child restraint or a forward facing child restraint with an inbuilt harness. The only exception is if they can't use one of these seats due to weight or height. Just because a child meets the minimum height for a booster does not mean they can legally use it under the age of 4.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402655599.329835.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

MummyToFurryBabies  (14-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyToFurryBabies View Post
    And if the child was injured, she could be charged with neglect. There's a wide scope of what defines neglect. If she is not using the correct restrain for the age of the child and it results in the child being injured in an accident, then the police can most definitely lay charges of neglect.

"Types of neglect
    Typically neglect is classified into sub-types. Below are examples of the most common subtypes used in the literature to describe neglect, though there may be others and each will be influenced by the age of the child:

Physical neglect: a failure to provide age appropriate physical necessities like food, clothing and shelter".

Providing the incorrect seat could fall into the category of physical neglect.
    Have you ever heard of this actually happening in Australia? I'm not talking about urban myths or gossip, I mean actually getting up at court and a finding of guilt rather than being thrown out.

Do you have any direct experience in law enforcement? Is it your place to say what police will and won't do?

A mother asking for advice on a booster seat to keep her child safe is not deserving of a roast or being told she will be charged with things that do not fit this circumstance.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (16-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Have you ever heard of this actually happening in Australia? I'm not talking about urban myths or gossip, I mean actually getting up at court and a finding of guilt rather than being thrown out.

Do you have any direct experience in law enforcement? Is it your place to say what police will and won't do?

A mother asking for advice on a booster seat to keep her child safe is not deserving of a roast or being told she will be charged with things that do not fit this circumstance.
    Thanks...
    Luckily I've been here long enough to take it all with a grain of salt. I've gotten the advice I've needed, so thanks everyone We all make our own risk assessments, and your absolutely right that it is wrong to threaten or intimidate with inaccurate advice and say things like its cheaper to get a new seat than a coffin (that was atrocious). After researching and trying a few out, I'm comfortable with having my kids in boosters, in fact I feel they are safer than their current seats which they have outgrown. I know some mothers are not okay with that (that's their choice), some mothers feel strongly about healthy foods, execise, immunisation, breastfeeding etc etc. We all have something we feel strongly about and that's perfectly fine as long as you respect the veiws of others..

To equate having a child in a booster with child abuse (or neglect) is ridiculous.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-06-2014),NancyBlackett  (14-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (14-06-2014),Wise Enough  (14-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a provision in the law for police to lay charges in these types of scenarios. I don't have to know of real life examples, I just have to be aware that this law exists.

It is up to the discretion of the police that attend the scene to determine what charges will be laid, if any.

Why shouldn't the OP be made aware of what may happen if their child is involved in an accident and it is deemed they were in the incorrect seat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post

To equate having a child in a booster with child abuse (or neglect) is ridiculous.
    Clearly you just want to take information from these posts that suit your decision and that's fine.

But when someone actually points out that there is a law and charges may be laid for the incorrect use of a child restrain, which may be charges of neglect, you deem that as ridiculous. Why ask for opinions and information and then 'attack' the information that doesn't suit your decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP I believe it is now based on age and seated height rather than weight. You can always ring or stop in to your local road authority and have a chat to them about it. If I had any doubt is do that before making a decision. I've never heard of anyone being charged with child endangerment or neglect for using a slightly wrong seat though- the laws are there to protect children not punish adults.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast