+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    So after all these threads on car seats and seeing the boosters my mum bought, I've realised both ds and dd are way too tall for their current seats with 5 point harness and am going to go and look at new seats this weekend.

I thought they were safer in the seat we have rather than the booster be a use of the seat belts but after trying them I can see they are way to tall for my seats and both fit into the boosters far better height wise. Their heads are too tall for our current seats, where as the booster seats mum purchased offers them much great head and body protection although the lash belts are still a concern of mine.
    Check out the babylove ezy combos. Excellent CREP safety ratings. My DD is almost 6 and still harnessed in this seat. Once she eventually grows out of the harness it can be tucked away and used as a booster seat with lap sash seatbelt. She's very tall, the tallest girl in her prep class and I think she's taller than only 1 other boy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    My DS is 3.5 years now and has been in a booster seat with the regular seat belt for about 6 months. Hes a big boy and was just too big for his other seat. He knows hes not allowed to undo his seat until the car is turned off...i told him if he did mummy would get in trouble with the police. Hes never done it.

So long as the seat belt is in the right position (across the shoulder, not the neck) she should be ok.
    Whether the seatbelt is undone or not you will still be in trouble with the police for having an incorrectly restrained child! He needs to be in a harness until at least 4 years old age. There is no excuse.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (13-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you aren't sure I would contact Pearces Child Restraints, they are amazing and always happy to give free advice over the phone. They are so committed to kids safety in the car, I can't recommend them enough

http://www.pearceschildrestraints.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Whether the seatbelt is undone or not you will still be in trouble with the police for having an incorrectly restrained child! He needs to be in a harness until at least 4 years old age. There is no excuse.
    Are you certain of that? You might like to read question 3 on page 5 of this http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ints_qanda.pdf

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (13-06-2014),Wise Enough  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyToFurryBabies View Post
    If she is involved in a car accident (even if it's not her fault) she could be facing a fine of nearly $400 and possible charges of child endangerment. The laws are there for a reason.
    Nope, endangerment relates to abuse or neglect. The correct offence for an incorrect child restraint is a penalty notice (different states have different wording for the ticket). According to Dept Transport and Main Roads (QLD) The penalty for incorrectly securing a child is A$330 and three demerit points. This scenario may not even fit the criteria for a penalty notice anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Are you certain of that? You might like to read question 3 on page 5 of this http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ints_qanda.pdf
    Given most 7 years can fit in a harnessed booster seat I find it highly unlikely a 3.5 year old is too big. Buy a new seat! Car restraint technology has changed dramatically over the years and we are seeing restraints that can rear face until 3-4years and harnessed boosters that can accommodate an average 7 year old.

Of course the legislation has to provide for those exceptionally rare children who outgrow seats. But just because they've outgrown one seat does not mean they have outgrown them all. Buy a new and safer seat, it's cheaper than paying for a funeral if the worst should happen.

I really don't get why it's seen as a milestone or rite of passage to change to forward facing, ditch the harness or booster. It's a huge step down in safety and should only happen when there are truly no other options available.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It USED to be illegal to have under 4s in a booster, but it no longer is. You cannot get into trouble for using a booster seat at less that 4 if she meets the requirements.

I would have no hesitations about using a booster seat if she met the safety requirements for height and weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402619019.620266.jpg
    Go by size, not age is what's recommended now. Thank god as I have a 23kg 2 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=

Of course the legislation has to provide for those exceptionally rare children who outgrow seats. But just because they've outgrown one seat does not mean they have outgrown them all. Buy a new and safer seat, it's cheaper than paying for a funeral if the worst should happen.

I really don't get why it's seen as a milestone or rite of passage to change to forward facing, ditch the harness or booster. It's a huge step down in safety and should only happen when there are truly no other options available.[/QUOTE]

No need to dramatise your opinion. Just know the laws if you are going to throw them at other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Attachment 56460
    Go by size, not age is what's recommended now. Thank god as I have a 23kg 2 year old.
    Omg my 2 ¹/2 year old is almost half the weight! She is a measly 14 kg in comparison! Lol