+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default recipe ideas for a 18 month old

My 18 m.o DS is currently going through teething and a stormy period according to the Wonder Weeks so this is causing him to be very picky with his eating once again! This is his typical eating day:

Morning: 7 oz Bottle when he wakes around 6 followed by breakfast usually weetbix or porridge at 7

Lunch: Most of the time a peanut butter sandwhich or soup

Snacks: tub of yoghurt or custard or sometimes both, a packet of heinz fruit and veg shredz and or a banana rusk.

Dinner: THIS IS THE DIFFICULT PART! Now some dinners he will eat lots of like amatricana or satay chicken but most of the time he takes a few mouthfuls and pushes his plate away.

If anyone has any tips for toddler recipes based for 18 month olds would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your child is anything like mine at that age, it probably doesn't matter what you serve at dinner time, they're just not keen to eat. If you can I would try swapping around lunch and dinner, so main meal at lunch time and sandwich etc for dinner.
    I even bought a couple of toddler recipe books, but they never really helped much.
    Sorry, probably didn't really answer your question...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy, similar age, loves risoni (a type of pasta) cooked in a home-made chicken stock, with a sprinkle of parmesan on top. It's soft, the pieces are small and, although he can use a spoon, he eats it with his fingers. And it's something we can all eat for dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would not serve special toddler meals but all eat the same toddler friendly meal as a family -

Mini pizzas - I put tomato/ mushroom/ feta and kale on ours
    Mini meatballs or falafel
    Fish cakes or crab cakes
    Frittata or quiches
    Crumbed fish and veggies
    Lamb cutlets and veggies
    Salmon ( buy the skinless boneless fillets and just flake into pieces ) and veggies
    Pasta of any kind
    Kebabs - I put chicken or falafel with tzatiki , cheese and tabouli salad in mountain bread and toast it so it's easy for them to to hold and eat

Really any meal where he can feed himself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe do variations of those foods he will eat heaps of, like adding things to the pasta meal or doing satay chicken sticks (then doing other types of food on sticks).

I'm trying to remember what things DD liked at that age, I have mostly given her whatever we're having (within reason) and she has been pretty good with trying things. Some favourites:
    - beef stroganoff
    - spag bol
    - risotto, DD loves mushroom risotto
    - pesto pasta with peas and tomato
    - pasta bake (great for loading with veg that needs using up)
    - fried rice with loads of chopped veg
    - meatballs (beef or chicken)
    - homemade pizza
    - lamb kofta with tzaziki

She loves mashed potato (normal potato or sweet potato), peas, roast pumpkin and corn on the cob so I usually add at least one of those to most meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 16 month old loves chicken or beef stews, I just put the chunks on her plate and she finger feeds herself. It's an easy dish! Just meat, root veg and some low salt stock and can of tomatoes in a slow cooker or saucepan on a low heat.

My bub also love savoury muffins. Yesterday I made ones that had one can of creamed corn, one can self raising flour, half can grated cheese and one egg. Bake at 180 until cooked. This is a good base to add other things like ham or grated veg.

pasta always goes down well here and tuna patties are also popular! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the great ideas another question to do with this topic, umm do you give your child milk with their dinner if so do they take it in a sippy cold or warm as i want to transition my son to have his milk with dinner instead of in his bottle before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't give milk with dinner - 3 reasons - firstly it may fill them up and they won't eat as much, milk can also hinder iron absorption so don't drink it with iron rich foods like meat and also it's good to get them used to drinking water with all meals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i heard people give milk with meals to get them off the bottle

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give milk in a sippy cup with dinner. I've been warming it for the last week, but usually DS just has it cold. He drinks water throughout the day and goes to bed with a sippy cup of water.

I normally get him to eat most of his dinner first before he gets the milk.

I've been cooking a lot of slow cooker meals which DS likes.