+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 19 month old has developmental delays - making for a very worried mum!

Hi all,

Relatively new here. I am a bit worried at the moment and can't really talk to my husband as he thinks I worry too much over nothing. So I am going to write a rather long post about my son and am after some advice / reassurance as I am the worlds worst worrier.

I have a 19 month old son who was born 4 weeks early. He was was in the NICU at hospital for 2 weeks with a feeding tube in his nose. He has always been developmentally slow. He didn't crawl properly until 12 months (was the worry of my life as other mother's used to make comments questioning why my son wasen't walking yet!). I used to come home from mother's group / play group in tears. He has only just started walking properly at nearly 19 months (paed was concerned so referred us onto physio and our son has been having one on one physio sessions at hospital each week for nearly 10 months. Now the concern is the fact that he is not talking. We have had his hearing tested and that came back all fine. We have been referred onto a speech therapist who we see in 4 weeks time. He does a huge amount of baby babble and is very vocal in his own way bus is not saying any proper words yet other than mum mum and dadda and woof woof at our dog. I have recently found out that my cousins 3 year old didn;t start talking properly until he was 2 1/2, so I am hoping that it is just a genetic thing. I am also putting all of my son's delays down to having a rather rough start to life!

I was so worried the other day that I consulted Dr Google (I know, big mistake!) and I typed in 19 month old is not talking and alot of websites started mentioning Autism which has freaked me out!!!!! My son is a very happy boy who has good social skills and fine motor skills and gives me very good eye contact and responds to his name when called. I would never of thought of my son as possibly being autistic, but when I started to read the signs, they mentioned arm flapping when excited which my son does. Fussy eater which is my son, speech and general developmental delays which my son has always had. I have always thought that as my son constantly babbles and makes a lot of noise that there wouldn't be anything wrong (I always had the impression that toddlers with autism didn't really make much noise at all, although I could be wrong as I don't know much about autism).

My mum and dad think I am being silly and they love my son to bits and do not believe there is anything wrong, they just think that he has been a late walker and will be a late talker. I will wait and see what the speech therapist has to say in 4 weeks time.

In the meantime to put my fear and anxiety to rest, has anyone got any advice / words of reassurance for me.

Thanks so much
    Katie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son didn't have any more words than that at that age! He is two next week and has a fair few now so not worried at all. He was also slow to crawl and walk. We did have one session with a speech therapist to get some tips to help him along with his language which seemed to help a lot.

I wouldn't be concerned. Mine didn't walk until 16.5 months so not much before yours at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and all kids are fussy eaters as far as I can see! Doesn't sound like autism to me but seeing a speech therapist might put your mind at ease

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

I forgot to mention that he is sensitive to loud noises. If he hears someone laugh loudly or a loud noise like a vacuum cleaner he will start crying and I have to cuddle him to calm him down. I am hoping that his is just a phase and is not linked to anything.

I just feel like I have just got over the huge worry about him walking and now dr's, paed and everyone in general seems to be on my case about him not talking and saying proper words yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd (16 months) HATES loud noises- the vacuum, blender etc. completely normal

As for words, my dd says only a few, only babbles mostly, and will go through phases of not saying words that she was using at all too. I understand most toddlers tend to go through an explosion with their speech- barely saying anything to not shutting up!

Your 19 month old sounds completely normal to me

Eta: my toddler only eats yogurt and toast basically lol. Again, normal! Fussy eating peaks between 14-24 months.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-06-2014 at 18:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds normal to me but if it will ease your mind then it won't hurt to have him checked out

My daughter wasn't even saying that much at 19 months. Lots of babble but no actual words. She's now 22 months and doesn't stop talking! She's also sensitive to loud noises and starts crying saying "noise noise" and runs from the room. I think it's pretty normal for kids their age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Katie Jane, our boys could be twins! DS didn't crawl until 11m, and only walked at 19m due to some intense physio. He is hypotonic(low muscle tone) and hyper mobile (very flexible joints), which made standing and walking painful.
    His comprehension was great, but had few (<20) words. He also has fantastic fine motor skills. When he was 21 m, he broke his femur after tripping on the vacuum cleaner cord, and was in a very limiting hip spica cast for 6 weeks. I don't know if it was the forced immobility, but in those six weeks, his speech went through the roof, and has continued to do so. He is now 25m, has >100 words, counts 1-20 and recognises numbers out of sequence. He knows the alphabet, and knows most letters by sight. He's also an arm flapper when he gets excited, and is terrified at the sound of rain, although he seems to be more easily reassured, finally!
    We had a follow up appt with a paed last week, and to quote him,"There's nothing wrong with this kid at all". :-)
    I don't think I'd worry about autism or Aspergers at this stage, especially if he's social and making eye contact. I've noticed a huge change in DS in the last two months, almost like a switch has been flicked.
    Hope that reassures you xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Hugs, kids and everything to do with them can be stressful huh! Try not to worry yourself too much!

A lot of the things you've mentioned can be normal. They don't necessarily add up to an autism diagnosis. This is why Dr Google can be a bad idea, more times than not it stresses out people unnecessarily.

And remember even if your DS does end up with a diagnosis whether it be ASD SPD, etc, it isnt the end of the world my middle boy has SPD and now they're talking possible ASD diagnosis, and he is a bright, happy, smart little bloke. Im not gunna lie and say it's easy, but a diagnosis wont stop him from being your precious little boy, and thats what matters at the end of the day. I hope the wait goes quickly for you xo

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    And also trust your mumma instinct. If yoy feel something isnt right, follow it up. But if you feel they're worrying unnecessarily, you know best, you're his mum!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hugs

Just make a note of things you notice and keep them for future records.