+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's like saying it's not fair I'm missing out on sick leave as I didn't get sick this year...
    I think the main reason my employer agrees to generous PPL is that they know it costs more to recruit and train new people than to retain the ones they have. That's if they can even find someone with the right skills and background to replace someone that leaves to go to a more family-friendly workplace or a higher paid workplace (they can't compete with other employers for wages). Plus if women quit and leave, they take all their corporate knowledge and sometimes goodwill with them. It's an economic decision, not because they feel strongly about supporting families to form healthy attachments with newborns or supporting breastfeeding. You usually can't buy the corporate knowledge or goodwill that's in a long term employee if they leave and you hire a replacement employee because it takes time to build that experience and relationshops. In some fields, it's cheaper to pay out some perks to retain your good staff, even part time, than to see them walk away. That's why it will be a step backwards if the govt legislates to prevent employers from being able to use their own funds to improve conditions above that offered by the govt scheme paid for out if the pot if money from taxing businesses.
    Last edited by clbj; 10-06-2014 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's like saying it's not fair I'm missing out on sick leave as I didn't get sick this year...
    Don't even get me started on sick leave I work my butt off and use about 3days max of sick leave a year and I do feel ripped off that I won't get the 1.5mths of sick leave accrued if I change jobs.
    I just don't think ppl (to such an extent as $60k+) is needed tbh and I think tax dollars could be better spent elsewhere (hospitals, education, ambos, clean energy ect).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy cheeks View Post
    Don't even get me started on sick leave I work my butt off and use about 3days max of sick leave a year and I do feel ripped off that I won't get the 1.5mths of sick leave accrued if I change jobs.
    I just don't think ppl (to such an extent as $60k+) is needed tbh and I think tax dollars could be better spent elsewhere (hospitals, education, ambos, clean energy ect).
    Yes SL should be accrued for life. There is a need for a big change as the typical career has changed. Ppl don't stay with the same employer for over 10 years let alone for all their life...

Papal based on people's wage + super is needed. As is more spending in hospitals, education, ambos, clean energy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post

Firstly - I am in NO way guilty of reading the fictional prose perpetuated by the Murdoch Press owned Herald Sun *cold chill and nausea passes over me*

Do I wish a PPL had been in force when I had my babies - HELL YES!! Am I wrapt it will be great for my kids when their kids come along - absolutely!

But

Whilst a PPL based on current income will help the higher income earner pay their current bills and maintain their current lifestyle it doesn't help the low income earners except maintain their week to week existence. If Abbott hadn't slashed so viciously the FTB etc and try introduce a medical co-payment then PPL based on income would prolly been seen as fair.

Apart from the belief I do see PPL based on current income as favouring higher income earners, I am at a loss as to why he would introduce it at a time when he insists we are in such dire financial straits.

Pretty much every policy he has introduced has negatively affected low income earners the hardest and this one policy favours higher income earners the most.

My objection is more broad based than considering this one policy on its own. And even then I see it as unfairly favouring higher income earners.
    PPL is paid at either your current weekly wage OR at minimum welfare wage WHICHEVER is higher.
    So for me who earns only $225 a week under PPL ill be getting $622. For someone who may earn $700 a week normal wage will get paid their $700 a week. No more no less.
    It does actually help both low and high income earners.
    Im quite happy with the new proposal ONLY because if passed i get 26 with my baby not just 18

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sick leave is no longer called sick leave under my employer, it's all changed. Sick leave, compassionate leave etc now all comes under personal leave in which we are allocated a certain amount of hours per year, unused personal leave is carried over now instead of losing it if not used. I have 260 hours of unused personal leave, comes in very handy for when having to take leave when the kids are sick especially with my ds and his ENT issues he is often unwell with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sick leave is a benefit and Annual Leave is an entitlment.

These days SL is now called Personal Leave and covers bereavement leave, sick leave, and a variety of other reasons an employee might need leave but cannot be cashed out when you leave.

Im fairly sure Personal Leave should accrued from year to year - check FairWork Australia if your employer is calculating it incorrectly

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ArticleDo...f.aspx?Embed=Y

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @WorkingClassMum thanks for the link!

I have always thought that SL could not be used during pregnancy. This is a great news!!

Is it new or should I have just done my homework better?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402465039.563000.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    NES came into being in 2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can of course use personal leave if you are unwell while you are pregnant. But not because you are pregnant.

You are not entitled to use it for pregnancy appointments but most employers are pretty relaxed on this front and either let you use it for that or just give you the time without having to record any leave.

But it's not an entitlement. I have seen this go to Fair Work and it was thrown out. Being pregnant isn't an illness. Pregnancy-related illness is of course a valid use of personal leave.

"These forms of leave are designed to help an employee deal with personal illness, caring responsibilities, family emergencies, and the death or serious illness of close family members."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ?..
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 11-06-2014 at 18:45.