+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Very true ripper rita. The expectation that anything will be good enough kind of sux. I wouldn't take things that were dangerous or heavily soiled etc. And if my name comes up in the housing commission lottery I will not be taking it if the neighbours are bad.

Not saying don't have standards, but to expect perfection is a bit rich too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by partyof4 View Post
    I have been noticing lately that there have been an increasing amount of posts on my local fb buy/sell page from heavily pregnant mothers begging for free baby furniture and other big ticket baby items. I undestand that things happen in life and circumstances change. but the things that annoys me about this are:
    -these women are requesting specific high end brands for free

-the prevalence that is happening. ie they cant all be having life disasters
    - pregnancy doesn't happen in a day. why dont they plan and budget like the rest of us.

am I just being cruel? maybe im being hormonal

There are a lot of these on the Mildura buy sell swap pages asking for free baby items for themselves because they are "broke" or even really young. I'm not judgemental on teen pregnancy I was a young teen mum myself but I bought everything I needed for my baby nothing at all was given to me or bought for me not even by my own parents. Most recently I had someone I barely know who knew I had a young baby boy ask if I'd be willing to give away my used baby clothes to her pregnant 14 year old friend..... I'm keeping it for the next baby just incase but really all my baby clothes are bonds ,pumpkin patch, and quicksilver :-/ I have how ever donated various other things like sterilisers bottles and formula.
    Last edited by LiterallyNoOne; 08-06-2014 at 21:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a bit of a sucker for these kind of posts eg people in need on Facebook. Recently I posted a huge package of new and secondhand clothes to a lady who really did seem to be in need and I heard nothing back, like nothing, no thank you or anything. I wouldn't have minded but we are on a budget too and it did leave me out of pocket with postage and the fact I specifically went shopping and picked out some new outfits for her children.
    i hate that I have become a bit disheartened, but I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank goodness there is some common sense in the world. I mentioned my opinion in passing the other day at playgroup and was called cruel for say so. I dont know maybe im just being stroppy because we've done it tough in the past but we pulled up our boot straps and got it together without expecting charity

Last edited by partyof4; 08-06-2014 at 22:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to partyof4 For This Useful Post:

soccer mum  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep there are heaps. Often coming from girls who have recently been tattooed and bragging about it on fb. If you have the money for that it should be spent on the baby! One local group the girl who was desperate for clothes for a newborn didn't even have a baby. She was just selling the baby items. I would never give to them, I donate to agencies that know the personal situations of these people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

soccer mum  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    Yep there are heaps. Often coming from girls who have recently been tattooed and bragging about it on fb. If you have the money for that it should be spent on the baby! One local group the girl who was desperate for clothes for a newborn didn't even have a baby. She was just selling the baby items. I would never give to them, I donate to agencies that know the personal situations of these people.
    I donate my stuff to the Zoe support network Australia is just for young mums under 25.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

soccer mum  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was one on my local page today. She wanted a whole heap of stuff, but only a certain brand (high end). I messaged her saying I have a brand new high chair I'm happy to donate and she replied saying she only wants this specific one (about $160).

I totally understand wanting newish, safe products. But only wanting the top of the range, brand new products for free? That just seems dodgy to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I see this so much on our local bss page.

There was one family that had just moved interstate and were asking for everything to fill a house. They were also asking for food hampers/vouchers. I found it really odd as you should account for these expenses when moving such a distance.

I actually had a friend post asking for prem clothes when I was in hospital. I appreciated the gesture but I really didn't need those clothes and would never have asked. I donated them to the SCN.
    A few months later someone else posted requesting free prem clothes for their baby and so many people tagged me in the post which I didn't like feeling obliged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have noticed this too where people were requesting (say) a bugaboo or similar. Posters linked them up to charity organisations and they ignored it and continued to request a bugaboo. I suspected that they were planning on on-selling it. From the looks of this thread it seems I am right.

I also notice a lot of 'please give me a bugaboo so I can work towards helping starving children in Africa' type posts which make me a bit suss, I fail to see how the 2 things are related. Or if they are, a better explanation is needed if they want people to help!!

ETA I also believe in pay it forward, like if I had baby clothes I dont need I would be happy to donate that anyway, but prefer it to be somebody who actually has a baby not somebody who will sell it for profit.
    Last edited by soccer mum; 09-06-2014 at 15:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep completly agree I've seen it a lot on our local bss page. Seems greedy to me. Also the prices some people expect for some second hand goods is really astounding. I posted on there a huge box and bag of free girls clothes ranging in sizes from newborn to two and I also found a lot of resposes quite rude and grabby. Asking exact details and pictures of each item.... come on people its free. I ended up giving it to a lovely young girl with a new bub who was extremely appeciative. I promised her any other clothes I give away straight up.

Eta: agree with the pay it forward too. We were stuggling with money when we had dd. Our family friends gave us a matching cot and change table that was given to them second hand. They said that when we finish with it give it away also so it can help out another family in need.... I love that idea and I def will once I'm done with it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by melimum; 09-06-2014 at 16:15.