+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I love the change table. I have started recommending the change table on top of the drawers compared to a standard change table though as I found it annoying to store between babies and I like multi purpose things.

I love having a bassinet (on wheels) but wouldn't put it high on the priority list if you're on a tight budget.

Don't buy a breast pump until you actually need it. Same with bottles, steriliser etc.

The battery operated swing made life easier, but you don't need to all of the variations (rocker, bouncer etc), just one will do.

I found the baby bath such a hassle. We got rid of it after dd1 and just bath dd2 in the big bath or laundry sink.

Bumbos/bebePODs etc aren't something you really need. Just buy a basic highchair that's easy to wipe down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Things we bought that we didn't use / rarely used / didn't like:

- Bath seat
    - Steam steriliser
    - Thick wraps or fleecy blankets
    - Two piece suits that could ride up

Things we loved and I'll be using again:

- Change table
    - Good quality pedal bin beside change table
    - Swing
    - Activity mat / gym
    - Bassinet for pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://news.distractify.com/fun/30-r...need-to-exist/

The mop onesie could have its benefits though lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lmao!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My most useful:

Mobile above change table with music attachment - he LOVES that thing and it really helped when he's restless during a change

Baby bath on stand - ours was 2nd hand and a good big size with excellent supports so even at 10 months he could still fit (even though we stopped using it at around 5 months when he was sitting up). Got a cheap clear plastic hose from Bunnings to fill it up from the tap and use it to siphon to empty it too.

Radio in his room for white noise

Car capsule that clicks into our pram - so easy to take in and out and he was a crap sleeper so it was great not having to disturb him

Nappy disposal bin - we for the Angelcare one and it's been so good. Found the refills cheap on eBay

Zip up swaddles

Baby sized sun hat - not just beanies

Bumbo - we used ours as a portable high chair (with tray) when he started solids. He's a bit of a chunker but still fit fine until about 7 months.

Hand towels - the cheap plain ones from KMart/Big W - for burp cloths. I found them so much cheaper than cloth nappies and just as absorbent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I want an iPotty!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Useless items for me:
    - nappy wrapper
    - pram (this is my experience with a singleton after twins. I had to pram my twins everywhere and I love the freedom of not using it with dd. I've used it maybe 8 times in 10 months?)
    - fancy high chair
    - newborn clothes. Wondersuits were the best in the early days
    - blankets. My winter baby loves the cold?!
    - wraps. I'm a terrible wrapper and prefer swaddles anyway
    - change table. Never had one, always have changed on the floor. Never has worries about baby rolling off

Items I couldn't live without:
    - hug-a-bub so I was hands free in the early days
    - love to dream swaddle ups. Made my baby sleep from 10-4. Pity she still doesn't lol!
    - portable booster high chair. So convenient, easy to clean
    - a nice blanket to have on the floor, especially if you have tiles.
    - face washers are great once you start solids. I always have one on the kitchen sink
    - terry flats. I always have one under bubs at change time but I use them all the time for other things. They were still in constant use before dd when I had two four year olds. So so handy.
    - bassinet to have bub in my room at the beginning

Thanks
    Reviews
    All you really need to start is somewhere to sleep, something to wear, something to get them around in and something for them to eat. If you are planning on breast feeding that takes care of the last one. Sleep we used a basinette initially as our babies room is atthe other end of the house and they slept in our room to start. Wearing don't bother getting more than a few onesies in 0000/000 our first was so fat she only fit in 0000 for a week. Plus you will probably get heaps of clothes as gifts. I used a pram/stroller almost exclusively and think I used the carriers probably half a dozen times in total.
    I only used the change table for a few months and then switched to the floor.
    PO never used a bouncer or baby swing.
    I did find a play mat with a mobile over it handy, got one from Aldi for about $25 I think.
    If you are having a shower people may ask what you want. We ended up requesting vouchers for a particular store and that almost covered the cost of the cot from memory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We co-slept, so didn't have a cot..
    We didn't have a baby bath either.
    We used the laundry trough until they were big enough to sit in the normal bath tub.
    With our first, we realised after a month or two that our pram was waaaaay too big and moved to a stroller as soon as he was big enough. With #2, we had a fully lay back stroller sized pram. So much easier!! (And about $200 cheaper!!) I also never used the pram for shopping etc.. I either slinged or used a trolley, so didn't need to factor carrying things into the purchase.
    We didn't use a 'nappy bag' we had a well pocketed bag or back pack depending on our outings. We had a bouncer/rocker - its how I'd shower if I was home alone with the kids - so I could have them in the bathroom with me.
    We had an ikea high chair, cheap and very washable.
    Also an ikea change table. Given the job a change table does I found the idea of spending anymore $ on it unfathomable.

The mind boggles at some of the things marketed to parents these days. Its working though, quite an industry!!