Useless-
    - tiny wraps
    - cot quilts etc
    - baby bean bag

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Useless:
    Small wraps (they fitted for first month after that I needed big musin ones. I moved to sleeping bags at 3 months and it's much better.
    Bumbo- my kids are too chunky
    Shoes- never bothered. What's the point?
    Cot sets- you only need fitted sheet
    Don't buy too many 000 clothes. My baby is 6mo and in size 1. Admittedly she's not normal, but they do grow fast.

I wouldn't say useless but my capsule wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Getting it in and out is a pain in the you know what. I didn't realise you had to put the anchor strap around it every time, i thought you just clicked it in and drove. Damn you safety.

Loved:
    Comfy rocker recliner. Good for feeding, putting to sleep, and letting them sleep on you during rough nights. I didn't buy a glider from a baby shop I got a super comfy lazy boy from Harvey Norman. In leather coz they spew all over it.

Baby swing- great for the first 4 months. Look they aren't long term but the use I got out of it made it worth while. Especially a second bubba. You can find a lot second hand, mine was. Get the proper big one, not the little floor one.

Rocker/bouncer- good for parking them to watch you cook/eat dinner, shower etc.

I wouldn't buy a car seat or cot mattress second hand. But everything else is fake in for bargain hunting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    I loved- (that some think useless)
    - swing
    - change table
    - video and sensor monitor
    -steriliser
    -bottle warmer (if bottle feeding)
    - bumbo
    - large muslin wraps (from target)
    - love to dream swaddles
    - wipes (can never have too many!)
    - a good thermometer
    - vaporiser
    - baby bath
    - mirror for car when bub is rear facing
    - play mat with arch
    - dummy clips
    - mobile
    - sleeping bags-
    Baby carrier

Useless-
    - tiny wraps
    - cot quilts etc
    - baby bean bag
    This... It's all I use except the baby bath. I'm yet to have a baby that likes being wrapped so the love to dream swaddled are a godsend for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waste of money for us:

-Bumbo, only used a few times
    - change table, useful but absolutely not essential. For my first I just used a mat on the floor or bed. Hardly used the change table with my second baby after 7 months as she won't lie still!!!
    - Bottle warmer. Err, just use a jug of hot water.

Great investment for us was a video monitor. So good to see what bub is doing when they've gone quiet rather than peeking in and waking them!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, it varies so much. For us though

Completely useless:
    Blankets
    Cot sets
    Most toys
    Mobile
    Wraps/swaddles
    Bumbo

Pretty useless:
    Pram
    Bouncer
    Night light
    Sleep positioners
    Most baby carriers
    Change table

LOVED:
    Ergo carrier
    Bassinett
    Ergo cocoons/love to dream wraps
    Sleeping bags
    Baby monitor
    Breast pump
    Capsule
    Cloth nappies
    Old-school cloth nappies (for spew cloths etc.)
    Breast feeding cushion
    Baby bath - it sits on top of our washing machine, and we still use it at 20 months
    A booster seat-style high chair. LOVE it, still using it.

I'll add though, that nearly everything we had was either bought second hand, or gifts. We bought things cheap, knowing that we wouldn't regret it if they turned out to be useless (eg. the baby bath was $1, booster seat $15, change table was a gift etc.). I can't imagine buying baby clothes new... they grow out of them so quickly. Lots of op shops have barely-used baby clothes extremely cheap.

Ebay and gumtree are great for buying things second hand. You can figure out what you want, keep an eye on prices, and buy when it comes up cheap. Also, as others have said, the shops will still be there when bub is born. You can always buy things later if you think you might need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and to add to my previous post: a baby monitor with a breathing sensor. There's technology out there that can save your babies life. Use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing I'm trying to figure out what to buy too, and what stuff is just pointless and expensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! Great to know what's good and what's not. I personally love op shopping for all sorts of stuff. I am amazed at the amount of baby clothes you can buy there. Half the stuff still have the original tag. I've always said when it comes to buying baby clothes I'll definitely be going to the op shop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a tricky one. Even the things that I don't use that much have gotten us out of sticky situations occasionally.
    - The baby bath wasn't that essential as bub preferred showers with us but it did make a great sleeping and bathing tool when we went camping.
    - The pram I have wouldn't have been worth it if I had to buy it as I prefer my wraps and carriers. But it has come in handy when I go to footy/soccer games as a change table.
    - Skirts, dresses and baggy pants for crawling babies are rubbish and baby shoes are not that useful either.
    - Bub slept in our bed so the bassinet became the baby holder in the kitchen while I was cooking or doing dishes but I could have just worn her if I didn't have it.
    - So far I think the most useless thing has been our cot as it is still in pieces with one wall being used as a baby gate on our bedroom door. She sleeps with us and can now get down from bed easily so she will transition straight to a single bed.
    -

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

jussi  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    That's a tricky one. Even the things that I don't use that much have gotten us out of sticky situations occasionally.
    - The baby bath wasn't that essential as bub preferred showers with us but it did make a great sleeping and bathing tool when we went camping.
    - The pram I have wouldn't have been worth it if I had to buy it as I prefer my wraps and carriers. But it has come in handy when I go to footy/soccer games as a change table.
    - Skirts, dresses and baggy pants for crawling babies are rubbish and baby shoes are not that useful either.
    - Bub slept in our bed so the bassinet became the baby holder in the kitchen while I was cooking or doing dishes but I could have just worn her if I didn't have it.
    - So far I think the most useless thing has been our cot as it is still in pieces with one wall being used as a baby gate on our bedroom door. She sleeps with us and can now get down from bed easily so she will transition straight to a single bed.
    -
    interesting that a lot of things one person finds not that essential, is to another!

- baby bath for us was a must as DD hated showers, and i had back issues so couldn't lean over a standard bath anyway
    - our pram wasn't the most practical, and i have seen much better designs since. However, i did like that my pram had the capsule attachment for the car
    - i didn't use my baby carrier at all because of my bad back
    - the bassinett was only used for 10 weeks and we could have managed without it but it was nice to have anyway
    - the cot was useful for us as we didn't co-sleep, but again, due to my back, i had to move her into a toddler bed sooner rather than later so she could get herself in and out (and so I didn't have to lift her into her cot)

Thing is, you won't know what's really useful or useless until you're using them, because what works for one won't work for another. Good luck!