Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Useless things:

size 0000 and 000 baby suits!
    Portable change mats
    Nappy protectors
    breast pump
    Toys
    steriliser (just boil water in a big saucepan)
    bibs! (Not until they're older)

very useful things:

Good sturdy pram that converts from bassinet to toddler seat with good turning circle
    baby carrier (single mum that had to hike up 6 sets of stairs with groceries and all other luggage plus baby!)
    old-school cloth nappies (still use them for cleaning up accidents, SO handy!)
    wipes - galore!

My DS was a very clean baby, never vomited, soiled or made any mess. Til now, he's 3! So just buy barest minimal clothes until after hub is born! Can not stress that enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think your being very wise op to consider carefully what you buy. There is certainly a lot of stuff you don't need! My advice would be to go with the bare minimum and remember the shops will still be around after baby is born! Maybe see if there is a second hand FB page for your area. I'm on one of those and people regularly put I wanted to buy ads. So if you find there is something you and your bub could really use you can still try and get secondhand. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    *portacot. I insisted that I'd use it for a playpen and imagined taking it with me everywhere (friends houses in case I stayed overnight, trips away etc) but it is just the biggest waste of space, pain in the as$ thing to fold/unfold. It's never left the house, I think I used it for a month or two as play pen but DD hated being stuck in it.
    How does your bub sleep when away from home? genuinely curious as we are using our portacot a lot. We do travel a lot too
    I found the one from Phil and teds great as really light and small to travel with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My bubs nursery is quite simple cot rocking chair and change table. Every baby is different my dd used a bassinet but my DS hated his. My dd used a baby swing and bouncer but my DS hated them. I never used a change table or baby bath for dd but I did for DS. My DS hated the play mat with toys over head but my dd loved it. My DS loves a blanket on the floor with some toys around him best. Maybe just buy the simple things for now and work out the rest once baby is here another thing I used a capsule with my DS it's heavy awkward and annoying but the best investment I made I didn't use one for dd and getting her in and out of the car asleep and waking her was a pain

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    How does your bub sleep when away from home? genuinely curious as we are using our portacot a lot. We do travel a lot too
    I found the one from Phil and teds great as really light and small to travel with
    we've only travelled twice since my DD was born, the first time we brought the portacot with us (I forgot about that when I posted before) and I almost wanted to leave it at the holiday park as it was a nightmare to fold away, I actually had to cut through the padding on the perimeter to see how on earth the mechanism worked as no matter what we did, we could not get it to click back into place.
    The second time the holiday park supplied us with a cot.

This is just my personal experience though, I'm sure others get much more out of theirs than I did.
    It's currently gathering dust so for me it was my most useless purchase.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me I think the following should be brought the best quality

Carseat
    Pram
    Baby carrier/pouch
    Cot
    Changetable
    Basinette

Wether new or secondhand.

What I dont use is steriliser, nappy bag, dummies, fussy linen set that all matches, fussy clothes bub lives in onesies, wraps and blankets.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the other replies but I found the following couldn't-live-without items:
    - ergo cocoon as I'm crap at swaddling. I have three - they're expensive for what they are though. One for on the baby, one for wash and one for wardrobe.
    - if you're okay at swaddling, anais anais make some really large muslin wraps. The general size run of the mill muslin wraps are too small and they grow out of them too quickly.
    - I love the bumbo but they're no good for chunkier babies because their bums and legs get stuck!
    - decent swing - I would recommend one that is power operated, not just batteries as they chew battery power!
    - a decent pram. Don't just settle for anything - if finances are tight and you won't use it much but feel that you need one, get a standard one. If you intend on going for walks or don't have even terrain around where you'll be walking, do some research as to what will be most suited to your needs. I went through three average prams before I finally got something i should have bought in the first place!
    If I think of anything else I'll come back
    And congratulations on your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Useless:
    Lots of blankets
    Nappy bin, easier to pop them in the individual nappy bags and a bin than those expensive ones
    Mobile
    "Fancy" clothes - onesies are the best
    My DD was a spring/summer baby and we had lots of socks we didnt need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use a portacot as the permanent cot, and use a kindercot as a travel cot. The kindercot is very portable and has been useful when going to houses for several hours with a child that refuses to sleep in the pram.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yes, nappy bags- little individual plastic bags that you buy to put a dirty nappy in before putting it in the bin. I bought and was given hundreds, but found they were too fiddly and small, I always just put a wee filled nappy straight in our normal bin and use plastic shopping bags for the poey ones.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app