+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For us it was:
    • Bumbo (by the time our large DD could hold her head up, her backside and legs would get stuck....)
    • All the cot quilts we were given (they ended up as floor mats for DDs tummy time)
    • A small baby bath
    • Most baby clothes. Our DD lives in onesies, socks, singlets and only a few special outfits of each size.
    • Portacot (used it once in a year, glad it was cheap and second hand!)
    Godsends worth getting (everyone is different though):
    • A decent pram (after trying out about 5 different types from my mates)
    • A large electric steriliser
    • 0-8 childseats
    • A big playpen (using the Vee Bee six sided one)
    • A highchair with an easy clean vinyl seat
    • Musical night lights that attach to the cot
    • A million bibs
    • A stack of facewashers (burp cloths or quick cleanup cloths)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    tough question!

my change table came in handy for the first 12 weeks after my births because i had a c section so crunching over a baby on the floor or bed was uncomfy, but after that i havent used it and its just a place to sit stuff on.

bumbo was USELESS

i found the capsule VERYYYY useful, she was in it until she was 1!!! handy but heavy, ideally it would have been amazing to have a pram that it clipped onto.

wraps - small ones...useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the best things I had was a cheap childare brand high chair from target. It was only $30 or so and the easiest thing to clean. Everyone I knew cursed their expensive padded fancy ones.

Most useless I would probably say lots of fancy little expensive outfits. Onesies are the go, they get messy too quickly anyway! And second hand baby clothes are everywhere and sooo much better (in my opinion)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    - Expensive matching cot sets
    - baby shoes (I didn't buy them, but got gifted plenty)

If I had my time again I'd source a hell of a lot more stuff second hand. I wasted hundreds buying brand new. There's so much you can source on facebook buy/swap/sell pages these days.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-06-2014),Wise Enough  (08-06-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My favourite thing was the capsule if you get one get one that attaches to your pram as well I wish I had gotten one with dd1 & dd2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When buying your pram consider if you will be wanting a second child and how soon. I have a few friends who spent up to and over $1000 on a single pram only having to replace with a double within 18 months.

I am doing fine without a capsule but if you do want one consider hiring one instead. It is quite an expensive item to use for such a short time, unless you're lucky enough to have bub fit in it for a year like pp.

Our drawers are waist height so we got a change pad to go on top instead of a change table.

I have found NO use for muslin wraps, maybe in summer they will come in handy. But, I do use my flat nappies for everything.

I love my vibrating rocker for when bub is awake but I need to put her down while I do something. Even if she is a little unsettled it soothes her.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Ngaiz;7809728]When buying your pram consider if you will be wanting a second child and how soon. I have a few friends who spent up to and over $1000 on a single pram only having to replace with a double within 18 months.

Yes very important even 3rd time around I have stuffed it up and will have to get another pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Items that I found useless/waste of money:
    - baby bath, I used the laundry sink & a bath seat, a much cheaper option
    - hooded baby bath towels, they are tiny & bubs grow out of them so quickly
    - expensive rattles or any toys in the 0-3 mth range
    - baby capsule
    - sterilizer, but I b'fed if using bottles it may be more useful

I'm sure there is plenty more, I just can't think at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I used everything nothing much sticks out as a waste but i second buying second hand. Holy crap I have saved some serious $$$!!! Just bought a valco cocoon for $6 from a market

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (08-06-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    *Bibs with ties at the back or Velcro for fastening are not needed for a very small baby. I had bought heaps but didn't realise all you need for a baby under around 5 months is just a little face washer/cloth that you can pop under their chin as your cradling them while they feed. For me actual bibs didn't come in handy until they are on solids.

*I was gifted a baby sleep positioner which I never even took out of it's packaging. It was a foam pillow type thing that you can place under your baby to prevent them from rolling over. I found it unnecessary.

*portacot. I insisted that I'd use it for a playpen and imagined taking it with me everywhere (friends houses in case I stayed overnight, trips away etc) but it is just the biggest waste of space, pain in the as$ thing to fold/unfold. It's never left the house, I think I used it for a month or two as play pen but DD hated being stuck in it.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 08-06-2014 at 18:44.