+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What items are a waste of money

Hi all.
    We are currently 12 weeks pregnant and are starting to work out what we do/don't need in the nursery and in general for me and bub.
    just wondering what you bought and never used, or wished you had for yourselves and bub.
    we don't want to waste money on items that are going to be stuffed in a corner and never used.
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us the Bumbo seat was a bit of a bust, DS just wasn't that into it. It is an easy product to clean so great to pick one up second hand on gumtree if you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately you'll probably get a million difference responses haha. I have things I found useless but others found a life saver, and vice versa. Depends on you and bub!

Personally I didn't use a change table (used the bed or floor), capsule drove me insane so I switched to the car seat, and I loved my swing and heavily relied (and still do) on my carrier/wraps.

I find having a stash of old school cloth nappies for burp cloths is really handy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also blankets....not that useful. And DS was a winter baby! I got sooo many as presents and also bought a few, most are still stacked in the cupboard unused. When they are tiny you swaddle them, when they are bigger they are in sleeping bags, one blanket to cover when in the pram would have been sufficient.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (09-06-2014),NAT2561  (09-06-2014),snowqu33n  (08-06-2014),Wise Enough  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think everyone will have different answers but for me:

Mobile above cot
    Video monitor (I had a sensor pad for my first and second but for my third I got a $30 one in big w and I've hardly used it this time)
    Only buy basic clothes, so much goes unused
    Capsule - used it for my second but prefer convertible seats
    Only buy one or 2 toys
    Steriliser

Will come back when I think of more

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-06-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me a baby bath, swing ( dd2 & dd3 only liked it for a real short amount of time not worth the $$) wraps and bibs (a couple are handy but have way too many)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's more handy to have a list of essentials...

Mine were:
    Muslin wraps
    Bassinet so bub could be next to my bed (sometimes ended up in my bed, lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried really hard only to get the basics so I wouldn't have this problem either so the only thing that really was a waste of money for me was the change table. I never use it.

Also my bub lived in onesies so all the cute pant / top outfits never really got worn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You will get a huge variety of responses...
    What one family finds amazing and useful another will say was a waste of time.
    I would think about your lifestyle and your home and what kinds of things you will enjoy with bub.

Eg.... I found the capsule great as I was always in and out of the car. Others would say waste of time.
    I love walks on the beach so the ergo baby carrier was awesome.
    The nappy bin was great. . still using it 18 months on. Our house is three levels with bub on top floor so wrapping nappies and running out to the bin all the time would be a pain.

I also found the video monitor invaluable! And the swing and bouncer. Still using the change table 18 months on.

So you see. .. everyone will have a different opinion.
    Plus essentials like muslins/spew rags/onsies etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess the only thing you NEED is a car seat if you have a car. All other things you can go without.

Me I would not go without cot, change table, pram and carrier, baby gym and maybe a bouncer or swing. That's it.

Never understand the bumbo seat thing? But I try not to put bub in positions that he couldn't assume on his own.

Baby monitor we don't need as we live in a small appartment.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (08-06-2014)