+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Love my greys and salukis.

Unfortunately when you have backyard breeders breeding dogs without any concern for temperament and then selling them to any old person yeh you will get some unbalanced dogs. BYB's mostly focus on the "in" breeds which is also why you may see more of that particular breed in the papers. For example Staffies are the latest d**k extension, often passed off as Pitbulls. What breed of dog is now mostly in the media for dog attacks?

You end up paying more but thats where going through a reputable breeder who breeds for the right reasons has its benefits.
    Very good point. Jack Russell's used to be lovely dogs until they got trendy about 10 years ago. Now there are more and more with temperament and health problems from poor breeding.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good luck colbie, its a difficult decision and a stressful one too!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Lol kara thats what i said too about the cavalier.
    Oops sorry I didn't see that. I just saw border collie and thought no way and the first thing that popped into my mind was a Cavy We will be greeting one for our next dog. That or a hairless cat lol.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    Oops sorry I didn't see that. I just saw border collie and thought no way and the first thing that popped into my mind was a Cavy We will be greeting one for our next dog. That or a hairless cat lol.
    I think a cavy is what we will get too. When the time is right. If there ever is one lol.

Great minds

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had both gsd and border collies. I was bought up as a kid with gsd and never felt threatened in any way by any of them. In fact one of our gsd was so good he was like my personal bodyguard. But I know my parents had to get rid of there original gsd (to a suitable good home) when they first had kids as she had never been bought up with children and felt very threatened by them.
    My kids have been bought up with border collies. We have three currently and the eldest was bought up with kids at dhs work and is amazing with the kids. The younger two we got before we had kids and one is ok but the other will nip if cornered.
    So with all of our breeds we have found that if you already have kids they tend to adapt a lot better and I wouldn't be at all concerned with either breed if they are bought up with kids and have correct training.
    I have been bitten by a chihuahua however.

Sent from my MB526 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raylin Park View Post
    We have had both gsd and border collies. I was bought up as a kid with gsd and never felt threatened in any way by any of them. In fact one of our gsd was so good he was like my personal bodyguard. But I know my parents had to get rid of there original gsd (to a suitable good home) when they first had kids as she had never been bought up with children and felt very threatened by them.
    My kids have been bought up with border collies. We have three currently and the eldest was bought up with kids at dhs work and is amazing with the kids. The younger two we got before we had kids and one is ok but the other will nip if cornered.
    So with all of our breeds we have found that if you already have kids they tend to adapt a lot better and I wouldn't be at all concerned with either breed if they are bought up with kids and have correct training.
    I have been bitten by a chihuahua however.

Sent from my MB526 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks for the personal experience with both, very interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up with shelties in my family and all three were gorgeous dogs and great with kids. I would have loved another one but I was committed to getting a rescue dog and there wasn't one anywhere needing a home when we were looking. We now have a lab as well as a border collie cross (bits of lab,kelpie and maybe cattle dog). Apart from the hair the lab is the perfect dog - incredibly gentle and tolerant of 8 month old DS although we carefully control their contact (DS loves to crawl after him and sticks his hand through the baby gates). The lab is generally pretty food obsessed but is gentle with DS if he is holding something. The border collie x is very temperamental in lots of ways but part of that is his history. He is typically very gentle but can be quite wary of DS so I'm extremely careful when they are together.
    My DH desperately wanted a German Shepard but I refused as my brother was bitten as a child and I couldn't let go of that fear so I really think you need to go with what's comfortable for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We recently got a Groodle (golden retriever x poodle). She's 15 weeks now and just the most amazing dog. She's very gentle with my 3 year old even though he is not gentle enough with her. She also been very easy to train. She does not shed hair at all. We get lots of negative comments about cross breeds and all that palaver but I'm not fussed. I did a lot of research to find a dog that would suit our family and lifestyle. I'm confident with her around children and other dogs and even my chooks. They can be quite energetic and need a lot of attention but that suits us fine as my husband works from home. You can get them from medium to large size. Coat can vary depending on the cross but Poppy has a beautiful coat, not too curly and is not difficult to maintain. I have always had chihuahuas which I LOVE and mine (still lives with my parents) has been fine with my child as he is well socialized but my son is rough and a small dog wouldn't suit him as much. We are also in Tasmania with a beach at the back gate so wanted a dog that would like the water. I think you have to be flexible with dog breeds depending on your circumstances. Also any dog needs to be socialized properly. Here she is, miss Poppy.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1402208154.890588.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will second the previous posters recommending golden retrievers. Our beautiful retriever is the most placid, good natured dog - and I've never met one that isn't. She loves children and is so gentle with them. The only downside is the fur everywhere but we have floorboards so a quick sweep every day or two and it's fine. A retriever or a groodle might be a good compromise of a big dog for your dh but a super gentle dog too.

Me - 30, Dh - 38 ttc #1 since June 2011
    natural bfp June 2012 - mc 5.5 weeks; 5 cycles clomid; 2 unsuccessful ivf.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to phee83 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ozteric View Post
    @TeamCarts check out the Portuguese Water Dog they are an actual proven breed and have the coat attributes I suspect that you'd be looking for in an 'oodle' dog. Someone I know got a 'labradoodle' a few years ago, paid lots of money from a 'breeder' and no joke it looks just like a Golden Retriever and sheds coat everywhere.
    OMG just googled them, they are really cute and very similar to my fave 'oodle' dogs. Thanks for the suggestion

ME 28 Mild endo, Mild pcos : DH 33
    TTC # 1 : 3 years : OI x 3 BFN : IUI x 3 BFN IVF # 1 BFP! DS born 29/9/13