+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    In my experience, small dogs are the ones most likely to bite. The only dogs I know personally who have bitten children (besides my darling Dachshund who bit my son when he was small because he was being truly awful!) are a maltease x Jack Russel and an small bitzer. I'd look into adopting a dog from a rescue organisation or the like, the dogs are temperament tested and as well as getting a new family member to love you are also saving a life
    We will definitely looking at both options. I used to foster so I know how many dogs need homes unfortunately it's also really difficult to know the exact background of a lot of rescue dogs. If it was just adults in the house I would be rescuing a dog no question about it, but especially if I DO relent (hehe) and get a breed such as a GSD, I would prefer having it from a puppy and raising it and training it ourselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i didnt mean that i thought you didnt have time it was just another suggestion.
    Personally i wouldnt get a GSD but thats more cause not my 'type' of dog. I have 2 American Staffies and 2 small dogs and honestly im more worried about my little dog with my bubs then the two staffies.
    My mum has 2 Golden Retrievers and they are super gentle with my younger brother and mother any kittens we get.

If you have experience with Greyhounds why not one of them (jealous!)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We got a retriever in January and he has been beautiful with kids and other dogs. He's quite submissive in that he crouches down in front of other dogs, tail wagging, wanting to be friends. Same with kids.
    Of course I would never leave him unsupervised with kids, but so far so good.
    He's an outside dog so no issue with hair.
    Loves water and retrieving balls and toys. When our bub is born in September, we think this dog is going to be great.
    Agree with everyone who says any dog can bite and also agree to look for a reputable breeder who breeds for temperament.
    Be careful with designer dogs. Depending on the breeder, you're not necessarily getting what you think you're getting - and definitely not guaranteed the best of either breed involved. Also - remember you're getting a cross! Don't get sucked into paying a fortune !

Thanks
    Reviews
    And i apologise if i came across as rude. Not my intention at all. Just didnt word anything properly lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    There may be more media response to GSD's but that doesnt mean anything. How many stories have we seen lately about a 'pitbull' being aggressive and they show pictures of labradors etc.
    A dog is what you make it. Dogs, just like humans, arent born aggressive. Humans make aggressive dogs.
    And no certain breeds arent "natural born killers" (not directed at you; just hate when people say that crap)
    I do agree with everything you've said. I don't blame the breed. I am going off stats though not just media, which you are right, is often sensationalised. No, breeds are not 'natural born killers' but unfortunately years of instinct (and worse, years of humans training certain breeds to fight or kill) is often hard to completely eradicate, which is why we see the same breeds responsible for the most deaths.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you have experience with Greyhounds why not one of them (jealous!)
    I know, greyhounds are just beautiful aren't they!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And i apologise if i came across as rude. Not my intention at all. Just didnt word anything properly lol
    No you didn't at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd do a lot of research before you get a sheltie. A lot of them are lovely but there seems to be a portion of them that are quite snappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    I know, greyhounds are just beautiful aren't they!
    We have a greyhound and she is lovely, perfect family dog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love my greys and salukis.

Unfortunately when you have backyard breeders breeding dogs without any concern for temperament and then selling them to any old person yeh you will get some unbalanced dogs. BYB's mostly focus on the "in" breeds which is also why you may see more of that particular breed in the papers. For example Staffies are the latest d**k extension, often passed off as Pitbulls. What breed of dog is now mostly in the media for dog attacks?

You end up paying more but thats where going through a reputable breeder who breeds for the right reasons has its benefits.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

ozteric  (08-06-2014)