+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dog breed - DH and I cannot agree!

Just after some advice!

We have an older dog (beagle x spaniel) that was my dog before I met DH. She is getting on now, and we are looking at getting another dog sometime in the next year or so. However DH and I cannot agree on which breed to get and it's actually becoming a real problem!

He is adamant, like absolutely ADAMANT that he is getting a German Shepherd. He grew up with them and his family had always had them, in fact his parents have a lovely one to this day who is a gorgeous dog, no doubt. He is very gentle with my son.

However, we have a just-turned four year old and a baby on the way (and planning more babies in the next few years) and just I do not feel comfortable getting a German Shepherd whilst the kids are so young. I'm happy to have one once they are teens but I've done a lot of research on dog breeds and while I know ANY breed is capable of hurting a child, German Shepherds have more of a capacity to really hurt or kill, especially a small child. I know most of them are gorgeous dogs and very smart. I know it's about the training you put into them etc. I just still don't feel comfortable having a GSD as a family pet when my babies are little. I would feel the same about any other large breed e.g. Rottweiler. I love all dogs! I know they are all capable of being beautiful family pets. But for my family, I want to do what I feel comfortable with, and that is NOT to have a huge dog until the kids are more capable of understanding how to treat dogs etc.

DH completely disregards how I feel about this and I get the feeling he will just come home with a GSD puppy one day and expect me to be won over. He just says nothing ever happened to him as a child and he had them since he was a baby. He just flat out refuses to see my point of view. He says I can do whatever I like and go but whatever dog I want, but he will still get his German Shepherd.

As a side note he is not like this about anything else!! He is usually so accommodating to my feelings on a subject, but when it comes to this we are both being totally stubborn.

Help!! Am I being over-protective on this or should he be taking my feelings seriously?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of breed were you thinking of? Whilst I understand your concerns, any breed of dog if capable of causing serious harm to a child. Whichever breed you choose, research and get to know your breeder. Make sure they breed for temperament as well as health. Correct socialization and training are very important, but also teaching your kids how to behave around the dog and read body language.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cashahn For This Useful Post:

mousky  (08-06-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Regardless of the breed your dh's unwillingness to even discuss it is infuriating, who made him boss?

Ive had experiences with 2 german shepards and they are just big sooks.

One was our next door neighbours shepard and she would stand up at the fence and let us pet her, she was beautiful and the other is my cousins Shepard who was around before they had their baby and now the shepard lets their 18 month old sit on him and tug on him and ride on him etc. pals for life. But my cousin put in A LOT of time with training when the dog was a pup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Regardless of the breed your dh's unwillingness to even discuss it is infuriating, who made him boss?

Ive had experiences with 2 german shepards and they are just big sooks.

One was our next door neighbours shepard and she would stand up at the fence and let us pet her, she was beautiful and the other is my cousins Shepard who was around before they had their baby and now the shepard lets their 18 month old sit on him and tug on him and ride on him etc. pals for life. But my cousin put in A LOT of time with training when the dog was a pup.
    He is usually never boss (that's my job!) which makes it all the more infuriating lol!

I know they can be such lovely dogs. Something just doesn't sit right with me, I can't even fully explain it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cashahn View Post
    What sort of breed were you thinking of? Whilst I understand your concerns, any breed of dog if capable of causing serious harm to a child. Whichever breed you choose, research and get to know your breeder. Make sure they breed for temperament as well as health. Correct socialization and training are very important, but also teaching your kids how to behave around the dog and read body language.
    Thanks for the advice, we will definitely do our research on both the dog and breeder. I am not 100% sure on my preferred breed, perhaps a border collie (we have a big property). I love breeds like daschunds and Italian greyhounds but I would definitely have no leg to stand on with DH with those lol.

Eta: also on the any dog causing harm thing, I totally understand that.. but I looked at stats of fatalities by dog breed and it was basically 90% pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds and the like, with the majority of deaths children or elderly. There was like a few freak one offs, e.g. a Jack Russell biting a baby and killing it, but it was like one in the last 30 years versus hundreds you know what I mean? It may very well be catastrophic thinking to think this way, I just can't help how I feel.
    Last edited by Colbie; 08-06-2014 at 12:20.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Get a sausage dog and a little hot dog bun suit for it. Guaranteed to win ANYONE over

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (12-07-2014),mishh  (08-06-2014),Purple Lily  (08-06-2014),TheGooch  (08-06-2014),wobbleyhorse  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive researched some doggys of late and have come to find that cavalier king Charles spaniels are wonderful pets for families with kids. Cute as punch too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Get a sausage dog and a little hot dog bun suit for it. Guaranteed to win ANYONE over
    You have no idea how much I want a sausage dog. Best ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't get a border collie! They are very active, intelligent and they need loads of stimulation mentally and physically which is fine but when you have a newborn you won't have that kind of time. Border collies when they're bored can become destructive and start barking at birds and stuff. They are also herding dogs and have a tendency to chase things including children and nip at ankles. I just wouldn't go there with young children. Have you considered a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They usually have a lovely temperament and are good around children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    Don't get a border collie! They are very active, intelligent and they need loads of stimulation mentally and physically which is fine but when you have a newborn you won't have that kind of time. Border collies when they're bored can become destructive and start barking at birds and stuff. They are also herding dogs and have a tendency to chase things including children and nip at ankles. I just wouldn't go there with young children. Have you considered a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They usually have a lovely temperament and are good around children
    Agree. We mind my sisters a lot and god that dog kills me. Destroys everything. You have to wear it out to the point of exhaustion just so it doesn't destroy things. It ripped open a bag of quick set cement and if was raining... That was fun to clean up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (08-06-2014)