+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I used to suspect the lady at my local cafe put VERY little coffee in my weak lattes when I was pregnant with DD. They always tasted like hot milk with no coffee.
    I would be livid with this. The guidelines say under 200mg of coffee, no need to avoid it completely unless you are high risk and have been advised to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Many cooks at restaurants (who aren't necessarily chefs) actually don't know how to cook steak properly. A friend who's a chef told us to ask for medium to well done if you actually want a well done steak otherwise your steak will be over done if asking for well done in a lot of cases. We had actually given up having steak when we went out to dinner because of this. He was right, we always ask for medium to well done now and it's perfect. Well done steak means you don't want blood and it should still be tender not over cooked and unedible which is how it is often cooked at restaurants.
    KG, this is the joys of living in WA. I learnt that trick too after too many dried out pieces of meat. Back in Melbourne now where they actually know how to cook.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have been completely fine with a wait staff member or chef looking out for my unborn babys welfare. Sure it can be taken as condescending or not appropriate for a stranger to do, but if it was done in an attitude of sincerity/kindness then I would have probably walked away thinking 'wow they sure took a risk in sticking their neck out for me'.

Who knows what kind of background or personal experiences these people may have had.. Perhaps it could have purely come from a 'protection of business reputation' or perhaps they could have experienced sad or unpleasant personal circumstances.

We eat out at restaurants a lot and there have been countless instances when well meaning staff have said or offered to do something for either my nearly 10mo DD or for me as I look obviously pregnant. No biggie... A simple 'smile n nod' or 'thanks, but we're right'.

Wouldn't it be great if commuters could be so considerate of pregnant women?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think overall I prefer restaurant staff to know about pregnancy-safe foods because I get embarrassed being the one to always bring it up (I feel like a pain constantly telling people I'm pregnant).

I actually asked a burger place to cook the burger well because I'm preggo and I was disappointed and worried after I took a few bites and the middle of the burger was raw, not just rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it was done in kindness . I think enjoy the fact he noticed you .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would think that the staff were being really caring provided they didn't judge if I didn't go with their suggestion. It sure beats being looked at like you're a pain in the **** if you ask questions about whether foods contain raw egg or if meat is well done. And as for places that don't cook eggs well done when you explain why you want it done - really irritating especially when they source eggs from a supplier that has recently been implicated in a salmonella outbreak!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was pg, we went to a very fancy restaurant. The meal was a choice of two different set menus. We chose one that had a few no-no foods on it and the waiter came out and asked me if I wanted anything to be cooked or prepared differently. I said no, unless there was any question about the freshness/food handling! Lol! We both laughed and I had my meal as per the menu. I thought it was nice of them to check with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I'm a little surprised too that the waiter would have specify back in the kitchen that there was a pregnant lady at the table and what she ordered.
    This! How strange!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think I would have been taken aback a little if a chef suggested that to me, but then I would be appreciative of their consideration. I definitely don't think it's rude though.