+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It wouldn't have sat well with me if a chef advised what I should or shouldn't eat. It's not his place. I would have told him to mind his own business.
    I believe that serving safe food is his business. He ensured that the customer was aware, his butt was covered and she was free to order as she saw fit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get he was covering his butt but I can't help it. It would have annoyed me lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    ^^^^This^^^
    If it is an food safety/ handling issue, then how is the industry meant to deal with women who are 2 or 3 months pregnant and not showing.

I would prefer the presumption is that pregnant women can source the guidelines for them selves, and chose to what degree they follow them.

A ingredient included in a dish that may be considered a risk, ie: raw egg, should be clearly stated on the menu I think, as, once again how do you decide who may be pregnant. (and how many patrons do you possibly offend in the process).
    I think that it is important to remember that for a restaurant, reputation is very valuable. If you had a medium steak and some harm came to you or your baby (the general you) and you started telling people that it was the fault of the restaurant, having raised the issue with you puts the onus back on to you because you have been made aware.

Also, with bills being introduced into parliament that can make people criminally responsible for harm to an unborn baby (even though the chef had no intention of harming anyone), it could muddy the water for a lot of industries when it is apparent that a woman is pregnant. I know that that is not the intent of those laws but it may make these sorts of discussions more common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I believe that serving safe food is his business. He ensured that the customer was aware, his butt was covered and she was free to order as she saw fit.

Well that's your belief. I worked many years in hospitality and disagree that what he did was necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a little surprised too that the waiter would have specify back in the kitchen that there was a pregnant lady at the table and what she ordered.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-06-2014),Laydeebug  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where do you draw the line with food safety responsibility?

Should a chef and waiter suggest a fat customer consider a salad instead of chips with their steak?

Or a nice grilled chicken breast instead of a schnitzel?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-06-2014),Bongley  (09-06-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (08-06-2014),Laydeebug  (09-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (09-06-2014),tyesmum  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Well that's your belief. I worked many years in hospitality and disagree that what he did was necessary.
    Many of us have worked in hospitality, myself included.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me at a function I attended where there were shared plates. One was a beautiful beef fillet and before I had a chance to have some..the waitress presented me with my own piece, cooked well done. I was surprised as it hadn't been requested by anyone, but also thought it was very thoughtful. I'm a bit more relaxed this time around and I would have eaten the lovely, medium-rare beef without a second thought actually, so maybe a good thing it happened!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the saddest, toughest piece of porterhouse at a function last night because the waiter suggested I have it well done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I had the saddest, toughest piece of porterhouse at a function last night because the waiter suggested I have it well done
    Many cooks at restaurants (who aren't necessarily chefs) actually don't know how to cook steak properly. A friend who's a chef told us to ask for medium to well done if you actually want a well done steak otherwise your steak will be over done if asking for well done in a lot of cases. We had actually given up having steak when we went out to dinner because of this. He was right, we always ask for medium to well done now and it's perfect. Well done steak means you don't want blood and it should still be tender not over cooked and unedible which is how it is often cooked at restaurants.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 09-06-2014 at 15:18.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (09-06-2014)