+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    you can get tested for toxoplasmosis as some are already immune. It takes some of the pressure off
    Unless you've never managed to contract it. Then you still can't eat a raw steak

Thanks
    Reviews
    The safe handling of food is his business. Oo Err.. Actually, that's part of his job. If a health body has informed people that "serving of X to pregnant women can potentially do harm to the woman and/or baby" then it's kind of his job to be aware of those guidelines and abide by them. If he's informed you of this, after your request, and you make the risk assessment that it's a minimal risk and request it anyway, then he's done his job, you've done yours and everyone's happy. I don't think he was trying to be rude or nosy though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-06-2014),Ashfirst  (08-06-2014),atomicmama  (08-06-2014),Chillies  (14-06-2014),ertgirl  (08-06-2014),Full House  (08-06-2014),gamermummy  (08-06-2014),just her chameleon  (08-06-2014),Justwant2beamummy  (08-06-2014),Leafy  (08-06-2014),Lennie  (08-06-2014),NoteToSelf  (08-06-2014),Rutabaga  (08-06-2014),sky1  (08-06-2014),snowqu33n  (08-06-2014),SoThisIsLove  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have considered that helpful, if he refused to serve you medium or came out and gave you an ear bashing that would be a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    The safe handling of food is his business. Oo Err.. Actually, that's part of his job. If a health body has informed people that "serving of X to pregnant women can potentially do harm to the woman and/or baby" then it's kind of his job to be aware of those guidelines and abide by them. If he's informed you of this, after your request, and you make the risk assessment that it's a minimal risk and request it anyway, then he's done his job, you've done yours and everyone's happy. I don't think he was trying to be rude or nosy though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This. I commend the guy for his customer service.

A close friend of mine recently had a stillbirth after going into premature labour at 22 weeks. The most likely cause seems to be listeria. Unfortunately these unlikely outcomes can happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was pregnant I had the same thing happen (not with steak...something else that I can't remember...runny eggs maybe), but everyone was really lovely about it. I thought it was a nice gesture, I assured them that I was happy to eat the food as I had requested and they happily obliged.
    To me it's no different to when I order some chips for my child who has anaphylactic allergies and they come out and tell me that other foods are also cooked in the fryer and it may not be safe. She's never had a reaction eating hot chips but they don't know that and are looking out for her safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it would be to cover themselves from legal issues. I would also find it very considerate.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have thought it was great customer service and very considerate of them.
    But I can understand when you're pregnant it sometimes feels like everyone is judging your choices or trying to educate you on things you already know.

I had so many people telling me things I should and shouldn't be doing when pregnant umm it was my 3rd and many of these people hadn't even had 1 kid yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly different, but earlier this year a heap of people in VIC (over 220) got sick from contaminated eggs supplied to cafes and the Health Dept issued a warning.

The ban's been lifted but I expect a lot of the cafe and restaurant staff would feel a responsibility to say something now if a pregnant woman ordered runny eggs or raw-egg chocolate mousse, for example.

One cafe has stopped serving raw egg mayonnaise to minimise the risk and I think that politely mentioning something to a pregnant customer ordering increased-risk food is probably just another step that businesses are taking to protect themselves, should anything happen.

ETA: Just curious is there are any members here who've worked in a cafe or restaurant- do you say anything if a pregnant woman orders cold meats/soft cheeses/raw oysters etc?
    Last edited by sky1; 08-06-2014 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think its a good thing! I often give instructions at restaurants and cafes stating its because I'm pregnant but they don't listen.

It would be a different story if it was another customer saying tut tut, you do know medium cooked meat is bad for your baby. Now that would be rude!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's good service really. They offered an alternative, and you chose what you chose, everyone was happy

When I was hugely pregnant once I was at Bakers Delight and got one of those mini pizza things with spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta cheese, the woman told me I shouldn't be eating it, but I said "It's cooked!" (the feta) and she said "Oh yes, you're right! "

Kinda annoying, but people are trying to be helpful I guess...