+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd only have it well done if it was going to be free!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tbh it made me think perhaps the steak wasn't the freshest? I said as much to the waiter but he assured me it was just due to the potential listeria risk.

I said, "thanks but I'll have medium". It came out medium-well but was still tender & yummy so I didn't care.

I know it's not a big deal and I wasn't that phased but did find it weird that the chef considered it his place to "educate" me (advising of a potentially risky ingredient that isn't apparent on the menu is different IMO). This is my 3rd pregnancy, I've got it covered thanks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (07-06-2014),Laydeebug  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I went out for lunch with some friends today and ordered a steak, cooked medium.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant.

The waiter returned a few moments later and said the chef advised I have my steak well done due to my pregnancy.

I found this really bizarre and was surprised that the chef considered it his business. My friends thought it was just being considerate/helpful.

What do you ladies reckon?
    ha! same thing happened to me when I went for lunch with DH and we there was a set menu including a glass of wine.

The waitress first start telling me that I couldn't have wine but she would give me any soft drink.
    Then when I went to order the steak she refused as if was served medium rare.

She coped a nice ear full and I finally had my glass of wine and medium rare steak thank you
    Must admit that we didn't tip her

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-06-2014),Curby  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    ha! same thing happened to me when I went for lunch with DH and we there was a set menu including a glass of wine.

The waitress first start telling me that I couldn't have wine but she would give me any soft drink.
    Then when I went to order the steak she refused as if was served medium rare.

She coped a nice ear full and I finally had my glass of wine and medium rare steak thank you
    Must admit that we didn't tip her
    She told you you couldn't have a glass of wine?! That's ridiculous!

I used to suspect the lady at my local cafe put VERY little coffee in my weak lattes when I was pregnant with DD. They always tasted like hot milk with no coffee.

Steaks are pretty safe anyway because the inner part usually hasn't had any exposure to air and the outside gets cooked. it's burger meat that should be well done or at least freshly ground right before cooking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes she did and I quite sternly told her to mind her own business and leave my uterus alone.

I didn't even drink the glass of wine, had a sip and DH enjoyed the rest of it

We always did this when I was UTD, it made me feel happy to have a glass of wine event if I wasn't drinking from it - I know weirdo.
    It's funny how in France people actually insist that it's ok to keep drinking wine when I refused because I am pregnant. In Australia I had the opposite argument haha

And you should have seen my colleagues when I told then I had sushis (the freshest) - I don't think they could have been anymore shocked if I told them I had cocaine....!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (09-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes she did and I quite sternly told her to mind her own business and leave my uterus alone.

I didn't even drink the glass of wine, had a sip and DH enjoyed the rest of it

We always did this when I was UTD, it made me feel happy to have a glass of wine event if I wasn't drinking from it - I know weirdo.
    It's funny how in France people actually insist that it's ok to keep drinking wine when I refused because I am pregnant. In Australia I had the opposite argument haha

And you should have seen my colleagues when I told then I had sushis (the freshest) - I don't think they could have been anymore shocked if I told them I had cocaine....!!
    Even my obstetrician says the occasional wine or beer is ok. I abstained completely in my first pregnancy but this time round I help myself to occasional sips of DH's beer. I'm craving it quite a lot! Can't wait to pop this baby out and have a nice cold Japanese beer with some sushi!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an (also pregnant at the time) colleague comment 'should you be eating those?' to my bag of mixed crackers and (eek!) nuts.... While sipping on a JD and coke can.
    Last edited by Stretched; 07-06-2014 at 23:45.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love this.

To be honest OP, I think he was covering his own ***.

Also, steak is often no fresh. Some steak is quite aged before it hits the grill.

This is one of *those* bh topics where np one can ever be right. I remember last year there was a story about a lady who got a sandwich from a servo and there was spmething very wrong with it (like a band aid, or a roach or something in it) but what many people seemed more distressed by than a company failing in its food standards, but that this woman who purchased some food for herself happened to be pregnant and clearly a pregnant woman has no business buying servo food. That was the true crime.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 08-06-2014 at 00:45.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (08-06-2014),haveheart  (08-06-2014),Rutabaga  (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The main risk with meat that is not cooked through (so still pink in the middle) is toxoplasma rather than listeria. The risk would still be there irregardless of how fresh the steak is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    you can get tested for toxoplasmosis as some are already immune. It takes some of the pressure off