+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 231
  1. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    3,216
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    What an interesting thread, I'm off to do some googling!
    Yes I must admit I went and googled my area upon reading the OP!

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked
    178
    Reviews
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    What's fair about a beat? Seriously. Historically, beats were for men who did not identify themselves as gay and wanted to have sex with other men. This is still the case today so while some would find gay sex abhorrent, that doesn't mean they would actively discriminate against them. If you speak to people about their opinions of beats, as I have, a lot will say it's the venue and the dangers associated with the activity that disgusts them not whether the participants are gay or straight. TBH, the gay community by and large does not support beat culture.

    The discrimination thing is old hat. Modern society accommodates the gay community far more comprehensively now than it ever has and, in some cases to the detriment of other members of society. This is not to say they've never been discriminated against but in this day and age they have it good. Whereas if I want to breastfeed my baby at work I have to go to the toilet to do it. Wait a minute...I'm not allowed to have my baby at work and yet my colleagues can bring in their six year olds....

    Some posters have mentioned the moral factor and while I agree it's not something I would rally against as each to his/her own is my motto. But if it has the potential to hurt people then yes, it should be ferretted out and stomped on. Thankfully, Police seem to be doing this rather successfully in my area.
    Whilst you might find beat culture offensive or attempt to speak on behalf of the gay community, there is a certain prejudice that has come out (lol) in some of your posts and a few others in his thread.

    Beat culture is supported within the gay community, might not be something that you can understand however there are some people who find the anonymity important. Others in the gay community simply acknowledge it exists. There are a minority that engage in inappropriate behaviours but you will most likely find that they are shunned. If you are offended by beats then you might not want to google 'dogging'.

    Not quite sure what your perception is of your local police 'ferreting out and stomping on' people using beats. People can be at a beat, engage in certain acts providing it isn't publicly, there is no explicit power to search or move them on. There is even acknowledgements by the Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officers in relation to how beats are approached and what action is appropriate and what isn't. Might open your eyes to give them a call.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (16-06-2014),BettyW  (17-06-2014),MsViking  (16-06-2014)

  4. #193
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    3,216
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Whilst you might find beat culture offensive or attempt to speak on behalf of the gay community, there is a certain prejudice that has come out (lol) in some of your posts and a few others in his thread.

    Beat culture is supported within the gay community, might not be something that you can understand however there are some people who find the anonymity important. Others in the gay community simply acknowledge it exists. There are a minority that engage in inappropriate behaviours but you will most likely find that they are shunned. If you are offended by beats then you might not want to google 'dogging'.

    Not quite sure what your perception is of your local police 'ferreting out and stomping on' people using beats. People can be at a beat, engage in certain acts providing it isn't publicly, there is no explicit power to search or move them on. There is even acknowledgements by the Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officers in relation to how beats are approached and what action is appropriate and what isn't. Might open your eyes to give them a call.
    Agree wholeheartedly. PPs made references to feeling "sick" and "angry" without being able to explain why in real terms, hiding behind excuses such as "risks to the children", when in reality most admitted to not ever knowing about beats until reading this thread! Surely if something was so horribly prevalent and full of danger, we would be hearing a lot more about it in main****** media and other cultural references.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (17-06-2014)

  6. #194
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,110
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    773
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post

    The discrimination thing is old hat. Modern society accommodates the gay community far more comprehensively now than it ever has and, in some cases to the detriment of other members of society. This is not to say they've never been discriminated against but in this day and age they have it good. Whereas if I want to breastfeed my baby at work I have to go to the toilet to do it. Wait a minute...I'm not allowed to have my baby at work and yet my colleagues can bring in their six year olds....
    I haven't posted in this thread yet, just read along but I couldn't help when I read this....

    Come and live a day in my life and you will see just how much homosexuals are still discriminated against....you think that we 'have it good'? Think again...
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I live now and now years ago where is was worse but there is no detriment to other members of society.
    It's not pleasant being treated like less than a human being so often.
    And like a PP pointed out, not being allowed to marry. That hurts a lot...


    And my 2 cents on the OP.
    I didn't even know that beats existed! It would be nice if they had somewhere cleaner and safer to go but those kinds of places exist so rarely. I don't really see it as much of a difference than anyone else having sex in public. I'm not sure why it's different that it's planned rather than another couple doing it spontaneously? It's still sex in public.

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (17-06-2014),BettyW  (17-06-2014),MsViking  (17-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (17-06-2014),Purple Lily  (17-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (17-06-2014)

  8. #195
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly. PPs made references to feeling "sick" and "angry" without being able to explain why in real terms, hiding behind excuses such as "risks to the children", when in reality most admitted to not ever knowing about beats until reading this thread! Surely if something was so horribly prevalent and full of danger, we would be hearing a lot more about it in main****** media and other cultural references.
    It's friggin disgusting to have knobs being polished and bodily fluids exchanged in cramped areas where innocent people, including children, are required to partially de-clothe in order to toilet themselves.
    - and don't try to tell me the desperate pervs who bang strangers next to where people take dumps are concerned about hygiene!

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    CazHazKidz  (17-06-2014),Funnels  (17-06-2014),Liddybugs  (17-06-2014),Mrs Tickle  (17-06-2014)

  10. #196
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    3,216
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's friggin disgusting to have knobs being polished and bodily fluids exchanged in cramped areas where innocent people, including children, are required to partially de-clothe in order to toilet themselves.
    - and don't try to tell me the desperate pervs who bang strangers next to where people take dumps are concerned about hygiene!
    I agree it's yuck as I've said in a previous post, I just don't think it's as prevalent and such a massive " problem" as some are making out. And for me it's public sex in inappropriate place IN GENERAL that's an issue, not beats as such.

  11. #197
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,024
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly. PPs made references to feeling "sick" and "angry" without being able to explain why in real terms, hiding behind excuses such as "risks to the children", when in reality most admitted to not ever knowing about beats until reading this thread! Surely if something was so horribly prevalent and full of danger, we would be hearing a lot more about it in main****** media and other cultural references.
    After searching the beats in my area, it is prevalent. Most said there will be people there at least most days, if not everyday.

    Now that I'm aware of those areas, I can recall several times that I noticed, what would have been, people meeting up there.

    Dh & I are discreet in our own home because sex is not something our children (or anyone else) should be witnessing, so I think it's only fair that we could expect to go in public without the possibility of witnessing other people hooking up... planned or not.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    Liddybugs  (17-06-2014),maternidade  (18-06-2014)

  13. #198
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,024
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    And my 2 cents on the OP.
    I didn't even know that beats existed! It would be nice if they had somewhere cleaner and safer to go but those kinds of places exist so rarely. I don't really see it as much of a difference than anyone else having sex in public. I'm not sure why it's different that it's planned rather than another couple doing it spontaneously? It's still sex in public.
    The only difference is that these places are sought out and planned, meaning these people could have made more discreet plans.
    No one NEEDS to have sex, especially not in public.

  14. #199
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    3,216
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    No one NEEDS to have sex, especially not in public.
    Now THAT, my friend, is a whole other thread...

  15. #200
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bayside Brisbane
    Posts
    7,023
    Thanks
    1,229
    Thanked
    1,952
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This whole thread has been a major eye opener for me. I had absolutely no idea this sort of thing went on in public places.
    I actually find it really vile, and it's got nothing to do with it being man on man, I find the idea of public orgies in dirty public places abhorent. Just gross.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

    Mrs Tickle  (17-06-2014),SuperGranny  (17-06-2014),VicPark  (17-06-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Spin Off: at what age do you allow your child to use the public toilets by themselves
    By LaDiDah in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 16:48
  2. I never want to take my DS1 in public :(
    By Theboys&me in forum Discipline & behaviour
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-01-2014, 21:49
  3. Children Assaulted in Toilets at Sydney Park
    By Caviar in forum Pregnancy & Parenting In The News
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 14-01-2014, 13:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!