+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Day sleeps - how do you do it

Dd is 8mths and feeds herself to sleep quite happily after a bath she is out for the night, no problems.

Day sleeps- she is a different baby. She screams and screams, won't take a bottle, refuses a dummy and snuggle blanket toy. If I sit next to the cot I just about pass out from making 'sssshh' noises for hrs and she will stand up in the cot laughing at me for over 1 1/2hrs without even so much as looking like getting near sleep time.
    So I have to rock her for ages or sit with her while she goes in the baby swing for at least 20min to go to sleep. - all the while kicking and screaming and fighting it.

She has a 20min power nap on the way home from school runs at 8.30. Then usually I put her down after lunch for a nap. When she does finally fall asleep it's 1-2hrs usually. Then she won't sleep again till nighttime.

I'm just stuck for how to teach her to self settle during the day. If she won't take a dummy (she plays with it like a rattle) she throws blankets and soft toys on the floor and doesn't suck her thumb- what else can I do? Or do I just accept that she will sleep in the swing until she grows out of it?
    She is only 7kg and the swing is weighted to 12kg. So atm I'm hoping she doesn't bulk up soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like she might be over-tired when putting her down for nap? Is there any way you can avoid the power nap in the car from school run and put her down for sleep properly when you get home? Like maybe give her a toy or a rusk?

What time does she wake in the morning usually? She should be tired for a nap 2.5-3hrs after waking in the morning. By lunch time she might be too tired to settle easily.

Have you tried transferring her from the car when you get home from school run?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    Sounds like she might be over-tired when putting her down for nap? Is there any way you can avoid the power nap in the car from school run and put her down for sleep properly when you get home? Like maybe give her a toy or a rusk?

What time does she wake in the morning usually? She should be tired for a nap 2.5-3hrs after waking in the morning. By lunch time she might be too tired to settle easily.

Have you tried transferring her from the car when you get home from school run?
    I was thinking the same thing. At that age 2 decent day naps is optimal. One morning and one afternoon. Try and keep her awake on the ride home. Good luck! !

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app