+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Oh dear... We are rubbish parents!

So DS1 has picked up some very very bad language from us!

It's so hard not to swear sometimes and before I know it, I've just said the words! They are the bad ones too! F word and S word...

He says it on a daily basis now how do I stop it (apart from trying to not say it myself - which I'm trying to do, and so is DH)

He even says them in context!

So far I've ignored it and tried not make a big deal as I don't want him to say it for attention iykwim? And other times I've turned the words into different words, for eg this morning he said sh.t and I said 'oh your shirt?, yeah it's dirty isn't it' or something like that.

He's 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's really not much you can do other than making yourself control your language. It's a massive change I know, but just try and be mindful of what you're saying and take a breath and think before you speak when something happens that you're likely to swear about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not rubbish parents OP, I'm sure this happens to nearly everyone at some point.

DS1 has also dropped an F this week so I feel for you! I've either ignored or straight in bedroom with no discussion. Hasn't happened again yet, but I'll be following this thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    3 year olds are little parrots, especially when they can see a reaction.
    Just reinforce that it's an adult word I guess, that's all I did with mine, they just stopped saying it after a few lolly refusals due to the naughty words they said.. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, and you're not rubbish parents.. Sometimes there are just no other suitable words to use! Lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha thanks all, we really have to try hard not to swear anymore. It's not a good habit anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    You're not rubbish parents!! Kids learn words by copying what we say. When DPs little brother was 3 she was always swearing. When he started swearing we sat him down and explained that the words were 'yucky' and other adults and kids shouldn't say them because they're rude and hurtful.

He actually stopped her swearing because whenever she let one slip he reminded her not to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swear alot and my kids dont so I dont completely think its from hearing you say it. Best thing to do is ignore it I think.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty bad at swearing when I'm driving. So one day we are driving home and I suggest playing eye spy and DD goes;
    DD: let's play the f***k game
    Me: oh, who plays that?!?
    DD: you do mummy.
    Me: oh, how does it go?
    DD: what the f*** are you doing? F***n MOVE!
    Me: nah, that's sounds like a boring game.

She hasn't really said it since, but I try not to say it anymore when I'm driving.
    If she ever does I just say it's not a very nice word to say and mummy shouldn't say it.
    At this stage that seems to be enough, hopefully!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to looloo711 For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond  (07-06-2014),GlitterFarts  (07-06-2014),oozzle  (07-06-2014),SAgirl  (07-06-2014),snowqu33n  (07-06-2014),Taiyed  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a swearer and DS picked it up. I couldn't stop him especially when I struggle to stop myself so I taught him context and when it's appropriate. He knows now to not swear at school or around other people but will let out an "oh ****!" at home if he drops something etc. I'm cool with that. It's a pretty appropriate response!