+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Self settling

How do you teach a baby to self settle. We took the dummy away about 4 days ago, but she is waking every couple of hours. It is getting longer between waking, but how does she learn to go to sleep by herself after waking. Not a fan of just letting her cry it out.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really much advice, as our DD is two and we are still struggling to self settle. DP is so quick to go over, pick her up and snuggle her, just so we can get some shut eye. We have to learn our lesson though, because DS didn't sleep through until he was 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    First of all, do you have a pre-sleep routine? A set of 'activities' done in the same order before you put bub down?

If not, start with that as teaching a bub to self settle is about the baby knowing when it is time to sleep.

So start with your routine, then put bub down wherever they sleep and sit next to them and pat or rub their tummy (or their back/bum if they are a tummy sleeper) and have your eyes closed as well. You can either make a shhhhh noise or have white noise in their room (a radio set to a blank station works or you can get many white noise apps).

Then keep doing that until bub is asleep and then leave the room.

There will probably be some crying but your presence and your touch lets them know you are there for them.

The aim is that by following the pre nap or sleep routine, you're teaching bub its time to sleep and eventually they will just get it.

It may take days, it may take weeks or it may take months but you aren't leaving bub to cry alone, but you're also teaching bub such a valuable skill and it saves your back as you won't need to rock them in your arms when they start getting too heavy.

This worked for us (as did a top up feed as part of that routine), but it took a month or so.

We knew it worked when DH was meant to pat her to sleep one night and couldn't be bothered, so he just left her and she was asleep! We kept the same routine and we haven't had to help her sleep ever since (she was 7 months old when she started to self settle. She probably would have done it earlier but we were sorting out her CMPI and silent reflux before then.

Many may argue that 4 months is too young to teach self settling, but it can work at that age and if you have decided that's what you want to do, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Good luck OP.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (07-06-2014),em15ma  (07-06-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-06-2014),Wally90  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    About to start teaching my dd this also! Thanks for the advice

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Allie!! Great advice. She does have a routine and it's really helped. Getting her to sleep initially isn't the problem I ink have said. Come 6:39, she will go to sleep so easily that after the bedtime routine I put her in her cot and I can walk out because she goes straight to sleep.

It's when she wakes through the night that's the problem. This is so new for me because she has been a perfect sleeper from the day she was born.

Dh ended up feeding her twice last night. I don't normally feed her back to sleep so I think we are just going to have to be consistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How old is she? Sorry I thought your said 4 months.

DD still woke for feeds after learning to self settle, so at 7 months, self settled at 10, slept through.

If bub is ready for night weaning, I'd keep the white noise on and just pat her in her cot it wherever she sleeps and not feed.

Night weaning us hard, so an alternative is to water down her feeds until you just give water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is 6.5 months. So still only little. She was sleeping through without feeds when she had the dummy so I know she isn't hungry and can go though without feeds.

White noise is a great idea. I will get that going again. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why don't you just give back the dummy if she was sleeping all night with it?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Why don't you just give back the dummy if she was sleeping all night with it?
    I agree with this... I wouldnt be game to mess with a baby who sleeps through, if she isnt waking to have her dummy replaced I'd totally leave it alone if it were me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because I thought it would be goo to get rid of it while she was still young enough to be moulded.

I have thought about giving it back, but it has been really tough work so far a she is finally going down without it and easier than she was with the dummy. It's just the resettling through the night she hasn't worked out.

Did I make the wrong choice by taking it away to begin with? I just thought it would be easier now than when she was 2/3 and it seems as though I have come so far. Ahhhh parenting is hard!