+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Formula powder needs to b added to boiled water cooled to 70 degrees?

Im breastfeeding atm but giving the odd bottle of gormula to dd2 and have just read about the 70 degree rule and the formula tin we have here says 50-60 degrees???

How the hell are u supossed to make fresh feeds if u have to boil the kettle and wait 30 mins before adding powder then rapid cool? Stand around with a screaming baby at 3am?

With dd1 I always just added powder to cooled boiled water but apparently it needs to be 70 degrees to kill any bacteria in the powder?

Am I missing something? What do u all do?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Oopsie! I always used spring water straight from the box cos I didn't want DS to grow accustomed to a warm bottle. Fwiw nothing ever happened to him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pre-fill bottles with cooled boiled water and keep them in the fridge, heat them as needed (just a quick zap in the microwave) then add the formula.

[The hubber formerly known as misscheviuz]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePancakeDrawer For This Useful Post:

79me  (07-06-2014),JAG242  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to put the formula into the water whilst very hot shortly after the kettle had boiled then do a rapid cool down by running the bottle under cold water from the tap or standing it in a jug of cold water, with ice. Means you can make it fresh at a high temperature but have it ready to drink in a few minutes as this cools it down very quickly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know what the "rules" are but another mum told me this way and thats what i did...

Boil jug. Pre-fill bottles with hot water and leave aside. When baby needed a bottle, assuming water was cooled by then, tip out a tiny bit (20ml or so) boil jug and replace that 20ml with boiling. Therefore bottle now warm. Tip in formula.

Worked for us!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePeach View Post
    I dont know what the "rules" are but another mum told me this way and thats what i did...

Boil jug. Pre-fill bottles with hot water and leave aside. When baby needed a bottle, assuming water was cooled by then, tip out a tiny bit (20ml or so) boil jug and replace that 20ml with boiling. Therefore bottle now warm. Tip in formula.

Worked for us!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is exactly what I always did.

Bond girl I thought using boiling hot water killed some of the nutrients in the formula or something?

So confusing!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That advice is because formula isn't sterile and it's meant to kill the bugs. Meh, I just always hada jug of cooled boiled water (or spring if I forgot to boil it) and warmed the water in the microwave to perfect temp, added power and boom! DS is fussy and always needed a warm bottle.

I know a few people that always had a thermos with hot water, poured half boiling, added powder then added the rest cool water but that's way too much effort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And the chunk of grass and dirt bub put in her mouth yesterday is sterile

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (25-07-2014),Chaos Dreaming  (07-06-2014),dancingchipmunk  (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You don't need to give warm bottles / just boil the water and put in bottles in advance and let them cool to room temperature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to fill the bottles with boiled water, let them cool, then store in the fridge. We'd take one out and pop it in the bottle warmer before she was due for a feed then just add formula at feed time.