+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/
    Particularly "Nursing is a supply & demand process. Milk is produced as your baby nurses, and the amount that she nurses lets your body know how much milk is required. Every bottle (of formula, juice or water) that your baby gets means that your body gets the signal to produce that much less milk."

http://melbournedoula.blogspot.com.a...erbal-tea.html

I found this tea to be quite helpful.

I was in your shoes, OP. It's called the top-up trap. The more you supplement, the less your body makes. It's a vicious cycle. If bub won't sleep or settle, put him to the breast. Your breasts are never empty- ever. They may feel like it but they're not. They keep producing, constantly. Getting your supply back up is hard work, especially if you've been supplementing for a while. I would definitely recommend you look into a supplemental nursing system and start reducing the top ups- how much are you offering? At one point my DD was taking 80mls after each bf and I managed to wean her off them and get my supply up. She is still bf at 20 months I started by cutting it down to 60 ml, then the next day 40ml, then the next day only every second feed and so on. You have to compensate by breastfeeding a lot but within a week or two your supply will meet the demand without the excessive feeding sessions. Be aware though that periods of fussiness and prolonged feeding are normal in babies, especially evenings. Breastmilk is also digested much faster than formula, so feeding IS more frequent anyway- around the clock in most cases

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to come back to mention if you still have nipple soreness to get checked for tongue tie. Also could reflux be a problem if they are possetting excessively?

With my first I did the feed (switching sides, then back again, then back again) with compression to squeeze out every last drop. Then top up with any EBM I had then formula (could be anywhere between 10-60ml at that age). Then pump. Then typically it would be feeding time again as I'd demand feed every 1.5-2hrs and feeding would take 1hr.

This regimen did work. At about 4 months I had 3 weeks where I finally had enough milk to EBF. Then she had a growth spurt and we were back to square one. That's when I went to the GP and they prescribed 3x motilium a day. This was not enough but did help and I successfully mixed fed til 8 months.

When my son was born he was not having enough wet nappies or weight gain already in the hospital, same as DD. I asked for motilium right away and my OB prescribed 8x tablets a day. After a couple of weeks I could have stopped the top ups but I like mix feeding so kept 1 bottle a day to replace a feed rather than top up. He was fed on demand approx 2 hourly, but was a 15 minute feeder and didn't like to stay on suckling like his sister did. I tried the pumping regimen for a little while but it upset me too much as it brought back all my feelings of failure I felt when struggling to feed DD. His tongue tie was not diagnosed and treated til 15 weeks, but despite that my supply was already good thanks to the tablets (just still pain/damage).

With my DD I felt like I wasn't trying hard enough. Comments like "I just had a 3 day nurse in and then I had enough" made me feel like perhaps my having my DD latched for 12+ hours out of any 24 was not enough (not having a go at anyone, just sharing my internal struggle). Having to ask for motilium compounded the feelings that my body was a dud.

With my son I'd had years to work through my experience and so long as he was fed I did what was best for my emotional well-being.

Go easy on yourself at this time. You know if your baby has had enough at the end of a feed so never feel guilty for offering a top up because they won't settle and give you 5 minutes of peace without it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GP said dehydrated due to slightly sunken fontanelles...
    He is on meds for reflux too! A complicating factor for sure 😞
    Nipples are fine but when he is frustrated and I persist he can do a bit of damage as doesn't latch properly. I swear there is milk there sometimes but it's just not easy enough for him to get so he gives up!
    It's hard to just put him to the breast every time he's fussy and hungry as he does refuse at times.
    I so appreciate the support - I am away from family friends and services so really do feel alone in this some days. I might try the gradual wean and just see what happens! His day sleep is so bad already it can't get much worse!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingAngels View Post
    GP said dehydrated due to slightly sunken fontanelles...
    He is on meds for reflux too! A complicating factor for sure 😞
    Nipples are fine but when he is frustrated and I persist he can do a bit of damage as doesn't latch properly. I swear there is milk there sometimes but it's just not easy enough for him to get so he gives up!
    It's hard to just put him to the breast every time he's fussy and hungry as he does refuse at times.
    I so appreciate the support - I am away from family friends and services so really do feel alone in this some days. I might try the gradual wean and just see what happens! His day sleep is so bad already it can't get much worse!!
    Hugs - my DD napped 3 x 15-20 min a day at that age (her nights were good though). It's so wearying! I'd moved interstate 12 months before I had her and even with health services etc nearby felt very alone.

The compressions can help 'push' the milk out so bub doesn't need to work as hard and often gets them to start sucking again.

Also, with my 2nd, he would get impatient for let down and often pull off and become fussy/refuse to re-latch. To help this I would pinch/rub my nipples on the way to settling down to feed, unclipping bra etc, that was enough to stimulate let down so he'd start getting milk almost as soon as he latched on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-06-2014)