+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Certificate Question

Hi there
    I am new to this so if this is the wrong area, please let me know.
    My darling sister had a baby almost 2 years ago and decided to put her boyfriend at the time on the birth certificate.... Needless to say that guy isn't the father and they have now split up - the actual father wants nothing to do with the miracle he helped create....
    She now wants to remove his name from the birth certificate and have "no father"
    What are her options here and is it going to end up a serious court battle???
    From what I can gather the guy whose name is on the certificate actually wants to remain involved in the boys life.
    Thank you!!!!

...............Still waiting for our own miracle to grace us with their presence

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think something like this is best answered by legal aid or a solicitor from a family law firm. I'd assume that a paternity test would be the only way to have his name removed but that will lead to a lot of questions as to why she doesn't think he's the father and who is a candidate. She's going to have to tip toe around the subject because knowingly lying on a legal document is fraud and she can be prosecuted for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you! the guy knows he isn't the father, but I will pay him respect in that he has treated him as his own - she is seeing a lawyer, I just wanted to know if anyone knew what the process was etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not something anyone would really admit to due to legality issues. Hopefully she gets it sorted without too much hassle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he's on the birth certificate he would need to pay child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    If he's on the birth certificate he would need to pay child support.
    Not if he's not the biological father, determined by a DNA test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    This may be an unpopular opinion but has the non bio dad raised this child from birth as his own? I personally believe it's unfair to try and remove him, imagine having this little child that you have been there with since birth taken away from you. Like I said, just my opinion and I don't know all the details so I may not be understanding the situation properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not illegal to put one non biological parent on a birth certificate if they consent to it. People who use donor sperm do it by putting their partner on the childs birth certificate instead of the name of the donor and it's legal.

Sent from my SM-T310 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    Not if he's not the biological father, determined by a DNA test.
    Yes what I'm saying is she would need to prove he's not the father to avoid him paying child support. Centrelink aren't know for logic or understanding. I used an anonymous sperm donor through and IVF clinic and they made it difficult for me.