+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night weaning.

DS is 8 months old and wakes to feed every 3 hours over night though these feeds are often just comfort feeds.

How do I go about night weaning him in the hopes to help him sleep better as I believe he is waking out of habit more than anything.

He is breastfed and on solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my guys we would have DH go in with a sippy cup of water. He'd give the water and a cuddle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was the same age when I night weaned too as she was waking every 3 hours.
    I stopped by doing 5 min each side per feed, then 4, then 3 etc... When it was down to one minute I stopped offering completely. I just went in and rubbed her back and left... It wasn't too bad at all. You can be ultra gentle and work on one feed at a time but I wanted to knock it on the head.
    Until recently (16 months) she still had 1 feed overnight around 4ish but I was ok with that, much better than every 3 hours. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice and support. It's so hard, DH's work schedual doesn't allow him to help overnights fortunately! I think I'll go cold turkey and just not feed until after 3am then try to extend it out from there. It's just not necessary to feed so much overnight, I know he doesn't need it, but we've definitely formed a habit as he used to sleep a lot longer as a newborn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I give DD (9months) her feed at 7pm before bed and then nothing until after 3am. She was waking to feed at 11pm and then 2/3am but after 2 days of just refusing to feed she stopped waking until after 3 and if she does wake she gets herself back off to sleep quite quickly. Cold turkey worked best for us!