+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    I think "adult children" should move out of home and stand on their two own feet, studying and working p/t living with friends and when theyre working f/t. I don't understand how many people move out of home in their late 20's and early 30's, while spending all their income on holidays for 10 years, then at 30 realise that they need to get their act together and buy a house.

I'm in my late 20's and have lived out of home since I was 21, with friends and partners. Sure I've rented the whole time but I've learned how to budget, how to be independent & that you've gotta start with what you can afford.

I think a lot of parents have expectations of their adult children to buy a huge 4 bedroom first home, have brand new cars, but dont realise that they havent set their children up for independence and what I'm starting to see is people buying a house, living beyond their means (I'm talking about DINKS), then having to sell their home and move back in with mum & dad.

What happened to a couple buying a small 3 bedroom, with 2nd hand furniture, and 2nd hand cars. When did it become all about everything being new and big? It's setting the current young adult generation up with high expectations.

Take my sister for eg, she goes to uni, works p/t, but doesnt contribute to my parents household bills/board/food even her own petrol (she didnt buy her car either). She just spends all her income on clothes and overseas trips every 4 months. I'm all good for people travelling, but youve gotta grow up and pay your way at home! If you afford to go overseas multiple times a year, you can afford to help out at home!
    I travelled as that was my priority. I have a pretty nice house now.

But, when we first bought our first home, we did do the sensible thing and bought a tiny 2 bedroom shoebox on 180sqm. We've got 3 kids now. When our first was 10 months old, we sold and bought a bigger house which we did an extension on 2.5 years ago, which increased our mortgage by $173k. If I could go back in time, I would've ignored the advice and bought the house of our dreams first as before we had kids, we paid off a sh1t load off our mortgage and I feel like we started all over again upgrading and doing an extension. We would've had a much lower mortgage today had we bought our dream house first as we would've had more money to pay off our mortgage before kids.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No set age...i think times have changed a lot since I was 18 and we moved out and lived in house shares with friends. I LOVED it and would love my kids to experience it. I would happily help them by paying rent and stuff to enable them to live in a flat share while at uni....I got AUstudy and was working part time and it really was one of the best times of my life. Our kids won't qualify for Austudy so i would help fill that need for cash...but not excessively.

If they want to stay at home once they are working full time, i would prob start hinting they should move out lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have an adult daughter, she's 21 (almost) and lives at home. Works odd jobs or part time and studies full time.

She he pays me a small amount of board. I think it's important she contributes something.

I want her to get her degree so I do t mind her living at home. I don't thing Austudy has risen much for a looong time so most young people find it really tough and if they live out of home, live below the poverty line.

I also am happy for her to save up and travel. Traveling is one of the most wonderful things a person can do, broadens the horizons and shows a different POV of the world. I encourage her to save here money and travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can survive mentally, physically, financially and emotionally, I would say it's time to leave the nest otherwise I see no problem staying at home with your parents I have friends who still live with their parents and their in their late 40's and works well.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am happy for DD to live with me as long as she wants.

It's been interesting to read the responses here. I'm in my late 30s and am back living with my parents with my DD. No plans to move out either. Even with a full time job, I would struggle financially living on my own. I also wouldn't be able to get a loan to buy a house at this point in time.

I actually like living with my parents. I contribute financially, do all my own chores, my folks help me with DD like taking her to school etc. It works well for us. So much so that we are planning on buying a block and building a duplex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Never.

Don't have age. Don't think there is one. When it suits the child and the parents. Dd moved out a few days after her 18th. She moved to the other side of country. Now that's hard for a mum to cope with.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think there's an age where a child 'should' move out persay. I moved out just after I turned 18 and at 21 in a few weeks still live with my DF. My Mum wishes I had stayed home longer for a few reasons.

On the other end of the scale, my brother is 27 and my Mum will do anything to get him out of home!! My youngest brother is in Uni and wants to move out as soon as he graduates and is in a full time job. They both do contribute money fo rent/elec/food etc.

We will still be quite youngest will be 18 (I will be almost 40) so I'm not fussed at them moving out straight away. If it means they can save more and go to Uni (or whatever it is they want to do) then so be it. Once they're earning enough to support themselves I think that's a nice time to give it a go on your own. I certainly don't want my 27 year old son still at home though, so hopefully they don't make stupid decisions like my brother did!
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 05-06-2014 at 22:34.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well when they are being little sh1ts I'm like that's it 18 and there out lol but no I don't have an 'age' when their ready and I've had enough
    Dd1 tells me all the time she's never leaving she going to stay and have kids at home so then there will be 2 mummy's it's sweet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not an age...more a life stage. Should have finished studying and gotten a job.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    dont have an age. whenever she wants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast