+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd say about 24 as my upper limit. I'd like to see my kids working casual/part time from around 16 though. This is probably more important to me than when they move out. I feel it really helps build maturity, responsibility and sets you ahead when entering the full time workforce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved out at 32!

I travelled a lot during my 20s but always lives at home.

It allowed me to pay off a car and save for a house.

I didn't pay rent but I contributed to bills groceries etc. I always bought pthings for my parents if I thought they'd like them. They weren't gifts per se, but I just liked to help them out.

I thought about moving out around 26ish but paying off a mortgagee wasn't going to happen if I had to pay rent.

I think everyone is different. I would have been happy to move away at 22 but I also loved the company of my parents at 32

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    Wow. That's a bloody hard start!
    Yeah.....but I also moved out of the family home after my sister and I sold it and straight into my own home, with a fairly small mortgage. So the loss was hard but I had a really good financial leg up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have a cut gig age at all, although my parents had all of is out by 18 and feel strongly about 'standing in your own feet!. My children are very young atm, so this is just theory! But I think from mid-teenage years there should be significant contribution to the running of the household - not necessarily financial, but with washing, cooking, cleaning, etc and def an adult (over 18) at home should be doing a lot of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mother never minded we left when ever I was 16 my brother 18 and with a girlfriend and child my other sister was 18 and my other sister was 21 with a one year old set of twins. My children can stay with me as long as needed but they would be expected to work or attend school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Coming from the UK I was pretty shocked when I moved here about how long people stay at home... I think it's pretty odd and doesn't exactly teach you to be independent. I know so many girls who go straight from their parents house to buying a place with a boyfriend when they're in their late 20s.

I left home at 16 which admittedly was a bit young. I think 18 is about right and will actually encourage my kids to go to uni somewhere other than we live (which is normal in the UK and prob one of the main reasons people leave home earlier.)

Well that's the plan. In 20 years time I will be begging him not to go lol!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (05-06-2014),LaDiDah  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Coming from the UK I was pretty shocked when I moved here about how long people stay at home... I think it's pretty odd and doesn't exactly teach you to be independent. I know so many girls who go straight from their parents house to buying a place with a boyfriend when they're in their late 20s.

I left home at 16 which admittedly was a bit young. I think 18 is about right and will actually encourage my kids to go to uni somewhere other than we live (which is normal in the UK and prob one of the main reasons people leave home earlier.)

Well that's the plan. In 20 years time I will be begging him not to go lol!
    Same! I think it's weird past 20. All my siblings and I moved out at 18 when we went to uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think there is a certain age. Id be happy to have my kids live at home as long as they like, providing they contribute to the household (cleaning up after themselves, help with bills etc). As long as they aren't mooching off us and expecting us to do everything for them, I see it as a great way for them to be able to save enough so that they can set themselves up with a house deposit etc once they do decide to move out.

He + Me = dd1 (july 2007), dd2 (july 2010), dd3 (august 2012), dd4 (may 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's funny that the general BH consensus on leaving kids at home by themselves is mid teen years, but then the consensus on moving out of home is early 20s. Not much time to learn to stand on your own two feet!
    To answer the OP, I think it's different for some families where moving out doesn't equal independence. I know quite a few families where the extended family all live together. At various points in my life my uncles have lived with us, and one of them moved back in with granny for quite a few years. And my brother still lives with my mum and he's in his 30's. He's lived out of home, but prefers mum's company to housemates (can't say I blame him!). I think it's weird if they still have that parent-child co-dependent dynamic going on, but for many people it's not really like that at all.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (05-06-2014),Barnaby  (05-06-2014),btmacxxx  (06-06-2014),FrothyFrog  (05-06-2014),Lincolns mummy  (05-06-2014),Mama Mirabelle  (06-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-06-2014),snowqu33n  (05-06-2014),SpecialPatrolGroup  (05-06-2014),Stretched  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    I know someone who is still doing that with their 34 year old son. Most of the time he doesn't even work (by choice). He doesn't pay anything to his parents because he "doesn't have any money" but the world doesn't work like that. You couldn't just tell the bank you're not going to pay your mortgage anymore because you cant be bothered to work full time. Something he's never going to find out because his parents aren't going to tell him to grow up and get out into the world. His Mum thinks it's "too mean" to tell him to leave, I think he's the one who's being mean by taking advantage of them..
    I agree I think it's taking advantage too, I've told him that before as well! Mum and Dad are seriously considering buying an investment property and moving him into that.... that's how desperately they want him to move out. It's absolute madness.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (05-06-2014)