+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    Definitely! She's an adult. I was given complete privacy at my family home with my boyfriend when I was 18. (Yes we were bonking like rabbits a lot of the time, but that's what happens lol)

Same went with my sister when she was that age - she's 5 years older than me.
    Yep, exactly.

If I didn't feel my Mum didn't trust me enough to make my own decisions then I wouldn't want to be at home. At least she knows where her daughter is, safe and sound under her roof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's an adult. Of course if give her privacy. It's demeaning not to IMO. My mother tried to control me at that age and it damaged our relationship. I think it's nice she's found love and good that she is in a safe place where her parents can keep an eye out for her.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-06-2014),PomPoms  (05-06-2014),Renn  (05-06-2014),VicPark  (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully the 7 and 8 year old think they're watching a movie!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Haven't read any replies. Better that the 18 year old have a root in her bedroom than in her boyfriend car and get caught by the police (**having flashbacks!!)
    Is it illegal or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I was 17 when my boyfriend started staying the night and the only rule I had was he had to leave by 10pm on school nights (I finished school at 17 and a half) and I stayed at his house often (he was 21).

11 years and still going strong here

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

peppertrees2014  (05-06-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep - 18 definitely an adult.

Even if they arent actually having s*x, that is her decision to make, and by 18 I expect her to be able to make that on her own ..

Even at 16 I would be fine with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (06-06-2014)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow I'm more my parents that I realised or ever wanted to be!! I feel a little ill after that realisation actually! I was never allowed to have boyfriends stay over in my room when I lived at home. I moved out with my BF when I was 19.

I think absolutely adult and young adult children need privacy but this situation to me has two parts. The first is privacy - the ability to have a visitor and have the door closed and then the second is etiquette - is it polite to visit your girlfriend in the family home and spend the whole time behind closed doors? Instead of "watching a movie" in the family room / lounge room interacting with the household.

I just asked my DP what he thinks and we sit on the same page - sure they're an adult but it's still our house and i'm not sure how i'll feel about it until faced with it. Oh well, I have 18 years to think about it!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (06-06-2014),LoCo  (06-06-2014),peppertrees2014  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having grown up in a home where I was constantly told how "open" and "trusting" my parents were to my choices, then being consistently questioned to the point of actually rebelling and moving out a few months before turning 17 - yes, I would allow a bit of privacy. My parents have both since apologized for their highly hypocritical and "push and pull" parenting, admitting that they retrospectively completely understand why I moved out so early. They just made it way too difficult for me to meet their constantly shifting parenting ideals.

As long as there are clear boundaries, the kids have good morals and there is a mutual respect to be had, I don't see that there should be a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I bet $100 that they were..
    Agreed, how many of us were dtd at 18!
    Me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    wow I'm surprised at how many thinks it's ok to dtd at your parents house when 18yo lol

We were not allowed to have bf/gf stay the night. But I guess we all moved out at 18yo so we could do whatever we wanted during the week.

I might change my tune but at this stage I won't allow DS to stay behind closed doors all day with his gf, not under our roof. It'd be weird to know him sexually active while we are in the living room eeeek
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 06-06-2014 at 00:03.