+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default May contain traces of...

Those of you who have either allergies or intolerances to certain,foods, or those who have children with either of them, what is your take on foods that say may contain traces of xyz?

Do you still eat them,or give them to your kids? What if it says 'May be present' or 'Produced in a plant that also processes' or 'Produced on machinery that also produces'

Which statements out of the above would you feel comfortable eating or giving to your kids? Is there actually a difference?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS's dietician said they are best avoided just in case

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD and DS both have allergies. I don't worry too much about traces of warnings, purely for the fact that there is so little they can eat anyway (particularly my DS who is allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanuts and almonds). My understanding is that food items with those ingredients could be made on the same production line or even in the same factory- the risk is minimal, IMHO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My husband is gluten free. We avoid anything that is processed on the same machinery or 'may contain traces of...'. He gets so sick from even small amounts it's just not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was an allergy, I wouldn't eat products that 'may contain traces', but if it was an intolerance or something, I would.

I can't eat gluten so I don't eat the 'may contain traces'.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is anaphylactic to egg so we try to avoid best we can, it's hard because we go to a restaurant and the plates, cutlery etc could have been in contact with egg and egg products like mayo (yes even after washing they can still cause some issues for us)
    So when things say "May contain" I avoid, sometimes it's just unavoidable though
    I just buy dd vegan certified packaged foods, like biscuits etc as it has no animal products and no traces of animal products too which means no egg.

I'm anaphylactic to peanuts, I've always steered clear of "May contain" as you just never know.
    It's other people though that's my biggest stress when it comes to allergies!
    The worst would be when my MIL didn't think the allergy was all that serious and purposely added a small amount of peanut butter to some cooking she did to see if I was serious or "over reacting"
    I was 6 months pregnant at the time and I had one bite, I ended up being rushed to hospital as I nearly went into a cardiac arrest.
    When DH asked her why she put peanuts in the cooking she actually said "I wanted to see if she was lying or not, I didn't think she would be that bad"
    So in a household with both dd and I having allergies, i get more stressed when others cook for us then what I do with "May contain, and, Traces of" with packaged products.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014),Gothel  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't eat gluten either, and I just don't risk any of those statements, It just isn't worth it. But I agree with PPs, if it was an intolerance I might.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    Dd is anaphylactic to egg so we try to avoid best we can, it's hard because we go to a restaurant and the plates, cutlery etc could have been in contact with egg and egg products like mayo (yes even after washing they can still cause some issues for us)
    So when things say "May contain" I avoid, sometimes it's just unavoidable though
    I just buy dd vegan certified packaged foods, like biscuits etc as it has no animal products and no traces of animal products too which means no egg.

I'm anaphylactic to peanuts, I've always steered clear of "May contain" as you just never know.
    The worst would be when my MIL didn't think the allergy was all that serious and purposely added a small amount of peanut butter to some cooking she did to see if I was serious or "over reacting"
    I was 6 months pregnant at the time and I had one bite, I ended up being rushed to hospital as I nearly went into a cardiac arrest.
    When DH asked her why she put peanuts in the cooking she actually said "I wanted to see if she was lying or not, I didn't think she would be that bad"
    So in a household with both dd and I having allergies, i get more stressed when others cook for us then what I do with "May contain, and, Traces of" with packaged products.
    Omg that is horrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post

OMG! I am speechless!!! What the f is wrong with people.

I completely agree, our families are so blasé about DDs allergies and dairy intolerance, it does my head in. They wonder why I get so paranoid, but if they were just a bit more stringent, I wouldn't have to panic whenever DD starts coughing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've always eaten 'may contain traces' foods. We've never had a problem. My oldest has anaphylactic allergies.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2014)