+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default People inviting themselves on your holidays.. aargh.

I had booked accommodation at a resort at the coast for our own family of 4, over New years period and when in conversation with some friends (who had already booked their own accommodation down the opposite end of the coast - like 2 hours drive away - (I didn't think anything of mentioning it..as they had their own place booked already.... they said they will cancel their original holiday and join us... then they go and invite their parents, godparents & uncle's family to book there too and another friend then decided to jump in too with their kids! Not only that, but my BIL and his family have gone ahead and booked it as well. I feel really annoyed because I wanted it to just be us! not have a holiday with about 30 people we know!

I know there would be NO CHANCE of any time alone to do any family stuff cos BIL and the two lots of friends will want to mingle non stop... and knowing my lovely dh - he will just be all ''oh yes!" about it... he has already said it would be rude NOT to mingle..

I just want to cancel our holiday and go elsewhere, but he wants to stay there. I know I will feel suffocated and won't feel like a holiday. Dh doesn't see the big deal, whereas I do... if I wanted a holiday with friends, I would have told them to come along too... yet they go and invite themselves..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah that sucks!!! The whole point of a holiday is to feel relaxed, not being on the go and mingling when you want to just chill out. That's a tricky one! My DP sounds like your DH, a people pleaser!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah he is! he loves it..and I do to but in small doses. I seriously didn't think they would change their accommodation... (or the rest of their entourage!)...plus the rest of the add ons... according to my dh - the more the merrier! Not for me it isn't. My nephew who is 11 really gets on my nerves. He constantly calls my 5 year old a dumb a$$. and to P-off... no matter what I say to the parents or him it falls on deaf ears, so I will be putting up with a 11 year old smart alec on top of my 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old.. dh DOES help, but I couldn't be bothered entertaining with anyone on top of it. he thinks im being dramatic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    How sucky! I can't really offer much advice but if I were in your situation I would probably just suck it up for this holiday and next time would keep holiday plans quiet for as long as possible and then drop hints like "I'm looking forward to a nice quiet holiday with just the 4 of us." Type thing. We are going on holiday mid July and while we asked a few people if they wanted to join us we ended up organizing the whole dam thing! I have actually asked the place we are staying at to put us at opposite ends to the people tagging along. Mainly because we don't want to have to constantly be entertaining them when we want to do something on our own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do people not think???
    Wouldn't you ask if it was okay before inviting yourself (and the other people) along to someone's holiday?

Could you cut down the nights you stay there and book somewhere else for the remainder of your holiday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urgh how annoying! Can you change your accommodation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I certainly want to change the accommodation but dh thinks we should stay. and that it would look rude.... um hello to him - we aren't the rude ones here. far out. they have all booked for exactly the same days too. dh says he wants to spend some time with his brother.... boo hoo. As if his brother gives a rats about him half the time when it suits him. And the other friends have all requested to be put next or as close as possible to us. Seriously annoyed!

Actually on a better note, i'll tell dh to actually stay with his brother and i'll go on my own holiday with the kids. LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would put my foot down and tell your husband that either you change accommodation or you don't go at all. There's be polite and sociable and then there is having your family time intruded upon. My dh doesn't get much time with his kids so he would hate it if this happened and occasionally we've had family or friends invite themselves along. I have to explain the situation.
    It might be easier for you guys to move than everyone else. And in future don't say anything unless you don't mind the possibility of other people lol. I do feel for you and your DH needs to put people pleasing aside and listen to you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (05-06-2014),Rutabaga  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol Bonezart yes he does! Trouble is, in real life, he's such a nice guy socially.. absolutely everyone loves him. he's always the heart of the party so to speak. hehe. I will have a BIG discussion with him tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain. We have a holiday booked for next month & dh has invited two other groups with us. He works away so the kids & I don't get to spend much time with him & was hoping that this would be a nice little family vacation. No such luck. He's trying to sell it to me but I'm still not happy. Oh & he booked a couple of nights down the coast for the long w'end but of course we're not going alone.