Closed Thread
Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All I can say is if health professionals work with delivering babies then they should learn how to work out ivf edd's!!

I've got the worst cold ever and miserable. For those that may have one too I've found the best remedy is fess nasal spray (Yay I can breathe!), salt water gargle and panadol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmac3 View Post
    Baby's gunna come when baby wants to! It's frustrating but you never know what happened to that person to make them grumpy! They could have had a crappy day and it's not your fault so don't take it personally! ������ some people may just need to retire yes, but their day will come. In the mean time your nice comment or mood might just make their day!
    It wasn't that she was in a crabby mood. She just was completely ignorant of everything I said and didn't seem to want to listen.

ETA: She even mocked me a couple of times for consulting my diary for dates that she was asking for!!!

To me, especially being an IVF bub, we know the EDD from the procedures we've been through - regardless of what size the baby is measuring. There is still only 38 weeks to a pregnancy from conception. For me, there is a history of babies going overdue in both sides of our families, including ourselve - so if they keep pushing my EDD back further just beacuse bub is measuring small, well then I feel that this could lead to danger in letting me go too long?

Quote Originally Posted by BaoLovesLudo View Post
    All I can say is if health professionals work with delivering babies then they should learn how to work out ivf edd's!!

I've got the worst cold ever and miserable. For those that may have one too I've found the best remedy is fess nasal spray (Yay I can breathe!), salt water gargle and panadol.
    Don't forget to also steam, and for those that are really bad, I use a sinus wash daily. I have to do this and have a coffee each morning which helps me with my rhinitis (blocked sinuses) and preventing a migraine from it.
    Last edited by Bow Ties Are Cool; 24-06-2014 at 15:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bow Ties Are Cool- from what the ob tells me, the reason why they induce you so that you are not too overdue is because there is a risjk to tge baby that they start swallowing their meconium. Thus can lead to a few breathing difficulties when they come out. So yeah, if they keep hammering you about a different EDD date, tell them simply, the baby was conceived on this EXACT date due to ivf, and if they kerp asking for the stupid LMP date, give them two weeks before that conception date. Its very frustrating. They think we know nothing.....especially when we say we know the EDD because we know dxactly when the baby was conceived.

I agree with @BaoLovesLudo - they should get with the times, especially when ivf babies are becoming more and more common. If not, then just trust what we're telling them!

And im sick too, this sucks. I feel like dying....sorry for the dramatics@ lol

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    A great deal of babies dont have mec until after delivery, it can be a sign of post maturity or stress/fetal distress.
    The overdates saga is more to do with poor placental function and an increased risk of fetal compromise.
    Induction at 38 weeks is recommended for gdm, there is more risk of intra uterine growth restriction (iugr) or macrosomia (big head/baby) which can lead to shoulder dystocia (getting stuck).
    Its not that most of us dont know how to work it out... the systems we use in most hospitals in vic ask for the stupid lmp (even though its irrelevant for ivf.. there isnt a special ivf pregnancy template (although that would be bloody handy!) And we as ivf patients are very well aware of our dates but majority of the population are not. Its just a standardized template for working out edc. We also use the measurements from early scans as they are most often the most accurate.
    Im not saying you ladies havent had ****, patronising, out of date midwives... but I am saying that not all health professionals think women know nothing (most would not think that at all actually). Its just we learn it in a different perspective.
    And that is not true that all health professionals delivering babies should know about ivf. The role of a midwife is for pregnancy/labour/postnatal period... conception while important for us to have jobs is not our main focus. Id rather know what to do in a situation when someone is having an eclamptic fit than embryo transfer dates.. and im a patient and a midwife.
    I certainly dont think any of my patients are stupid and I love when they come in educated and have questions and want to know why/how things happen if they havent been able to find the information they want, or what to expect... again, not all people are like that and a great deal of people are not really all that interested in their pregnancy or what is or may happen.
    I dont know why I feel like I have to defend my profession but I just felt that I do on here... and now I just feel like I wont be liked for expressing opinion.

And people can say what they like about what we should be able to do, but I know that when I have done cpr on a baby and then 5 minutes later its breathing on its own... I know I do something that is amazing. The amount of days I have stayed back to help a woman learn breastfeeing, the days ive missed out on Christmas, birthdays, new years... working 10 days in a row, days without eating anything and even some where I havent been to the loo once (not since being pregnant). Days I have gone home crying because I have delivered a child that was no longer living, family's that have come back and I have delivered their 2nd and 3rd... I dont know.... we try pretty bloody hard. Its the system, often not the people.

On another note.. 16 weeks and the start of our nursery.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Megsarama26 For This Useful Post:

rainbow brite  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I hope you're my midwife!

Quote Originally Posted by Megsarama26 View Post
    A great deal of babies dont have mec until after delivery, it can be a sign of post maturity or stress/fetal distress.
    The overdates saga is more to do with poor placental function and an increased risk of fetal compromise.
    Induction at 38 weeks is recommended for gdm, there is more risk of intra uterine growth restriction (iugr) or macrosomia (big head/baby) which can lead to shoulder dystocia (getting stuck).
    Its not that most of us dont know how to work it out... the systems we use in most hospitals in vic ask for the stupid lmp (even though its irrelevant for ivf.. there isnt a special ivf pregnancy template (although that would be bloody handy!) And we as ivf patients are very well aware of our dates but majority of the population are not. Its just a standardized template for working out edc. We also use the measurements from early scans as they are most often the most accurate.
    Im not saying you ladies havent had ****, patronising, out of date midwives... but I am saying that not all health professionals think women know nothing (most would not think that at all actually). Its just we learn it in a different perspective.
    And that is not true that all health professionals delivering babies should know about ivf. The role of a midwife is for pregnancy/labour/postnatal period... conception while important for us to have jobs is not our main focus. Id rather know what to do in a situation when someone is having an eclamptic fit than embryo transfer dates.. and im a patient and a midwife.
    I certainly dont think any of my patients are stupid and I love when they come in educated and have questions and want to know why/how things happen if they havent been able to find the information they want, or what to expect... again, not all people are like that and a great deal of people are not really all that interested in their pregnancy or what is or may happen.
    I dont know why I feel like I have to defend my profession but I just felt that I do on here... and now I just feel like I wont be liked for expressing opinion.

And people can say what they like about what we should be able to do, but I know that when I have done cpr on a baby and then 5 minutes later its breathing on its own... I know I do something that is amazing. The amount of days I have stayed back to help a woman learn breastfeeing, the days ive missed out on Christmas, birthdays, new years... working 10 days in a row, days without eating anything and even some where I havent been to the loo once (not since being pregnant). Days I have gone home crying because I have delivered a child that was no longer living, family's that have come back and I have delivered their 2nd and 3rd... I dont know.... we try pretty bloody hard. Its the system, often not the people.

On another note.. 16 weeks and the start of our nursery.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    @megsarama gorgeous bump and such a lovely nursery! All those things you have just mentioned is what I'm looking forward to doing when I graduate in 18months. I understand you wanting to defend the profession as I sometimes find myself doing the same and I'm not even qualified yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have nothing but respect for midwives after watching too much One Born Every Minute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Megs that nursery with the 2 cots is super cute! Great bump too!
    I can't comment much on the MW's as I haven't had any contact with any yet but the sonographer frustrated me when they were trying to work out my due date! At the end of the day though only the baby knows when it's coming.

I'm sick too! Bad sore throat and so many ppl around me have colds so keep well and warm girls! The weather here in Melbourne is insane!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think ALL midwives are crap, in fact I think the ones I've had during the birth of my two children have been fantastic (bar one or two). Every profession will have their bad eggs and their good ones, when I complained about the bad ones, it s because its from my experience, but in no way am I saying all are horrible, otherwise I wouldnt be trusting my baby in the hands of doctors and midwives.

Some are really caring and helped alot when I needed advice on breastfeeding, and I will be relying on them to do that again this time around. But there were one or two who pushed me to tears saying that I should have gotten the hang of it already as im starving my baby who had just lost over 500g in 3 days. Then they looked at me in a horrified manner when i finally gave in and bottle fed my baby as i didnt want her to starve anymore. Its those two that I am not happy about when I think of that experience, but I never said that all midwives are insensitive when I talk about that situation.

I understand why people get defensive, but when I personally vent here, its just my opinion on those that gave me that experience, not everyone in that profession. Im sure the other ladies dont mean to offend either.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by frenchy81; 24-06-2014 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's interesting reading all the frustrations with medical staff not knowing about IVF dates. I've never ever had any trouble with it. As soon as I say it's IVF and they ask what date I had the transfer and what due date I was given, that's it. No further questions. Maybe RPA in Sydney sees a lot of IVF patients and other place don't, I don't know, but I'm glad to say that I've never had a problem.